Books That Are Fun To Ridicule

Non-neopets general discussion.
Phibby

Re: Books That Are Fun To Ridicule

Post by Phibby »

Oh man, I couldn't post in this thread without mentioning my guiltiest guilty pleasure book series: Clive Cussler's Dirk Pitt series. If you thought Twilight meant never having to say you're kidding, you haven't seen anything yet.

(Massive spoilers below, but really, were you planning on reading these anyway?)

One book, Cyclops, has Dirk, Al (Dirk's sidekick), and Generic Female Sidekick ending up kidnapped by a secret Soviet base hidden underneath Cuba. Not necessarily weird on its own - it's actually fairly vanilla as Dirk Pitt books go - but it's what comes later that makes it a true Dirk Pitt book:
Spoiler: open/close
I don't remember how Al or GFS escape, but Dirk manages to save himself by sneaking out of the compound, getting in a bathtub equipped with a motor, and boating it to Florida. He almost doesn't make it DUN DUN DUN, but a Navy boat rescues him just in time.

All while this is going on, drama is going down on the moon. The US has had a self-sufficient moon base for 10 years now (the book is set in 1989), and the astronauts who maintain it need to come home. BUT the Soviet (or was it Cuban? I don't remember) government just can't let that happen. They send their own cosmonauts up to murder the astronauts while they're still on the moon. Of course their plain is foiled and the astronauts are saved, but...moon base. 10 years. 1989.

The rest of my memory of Cyclops is kind of hazy, but I do remember that at some point Dirk ends up having to land or lead someone through landing a space shuttle. Oh, and the book ends with Dirk finding a long-lost solid gold statue from El Dorado.
Cyclops is pretty insane, but I still think Sahara (which was made into a movie with Matthew McConaughey a couple years ago, though I don't think anyone remembers it) takes the crazy cake:
Dirk and Al are in Mali doing something for the National Underwater and Marine Agency. After completing the NUMA mission, Dirk has plans to uncover vital evidence hidden in the Sahara desert he's been tracking for years, but more on that later. Shit happens, and they figure out that toxic waste or something is leaking into the Niger River, causing a red algae bloom, blah blah, whatever. The point is, the world's oceans will be overrun by the algae, rendering Earth uninhabitable, if Dirk, Al, and Generic Female Sidekick, a UN scientist, don't do something to stop it. BUT Corrupt African Leader and Slimy French Businessman (the ones causing the toxic waste dump DUN DUN DUN) just can't let that happen.

Somehow Dirk and Al are separated from GFS and left to wander for eternity in the Sahara desert. UNTIL they're saved by what appears to be a mirage...but is really Clive Cussler in a beautiful antique car (oh did I mention? Antique cars are Dirk's hobby). This isn't even Clive Cussler's first appearance; he had cameoed in Dragon, which came right before Sahara in the series, where he ended up facing Dirk in an antique car race (right before the Generic Female Sidekick in that book gets kidnapped by Evil Japanese Businessman). He saves them, takes them toward town, and Dirk and Al are back in the game.

The rest of the book is just generic Dirk Pitt adventure, the good guys win, the GFS and the world are forever indebted to Dirk. BUT the book can't end until Dirk finds what he came to Mali to find...a Confederate battleship hidden in the desert containing - what else? - Abraham Lincoln's preserved corpse. You see, the Confederacy had kidnapped Lincoln, threw him on a battleship, and left for the open ocean, eventually ending up in Africa. The entire John Wilkes Booth assassination was faked.
That's really just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to Dirk Pitt. I've only read six books in the twenty-book series. They are easily the most ridiculous, awful, anti-feminist, trashy books I have ever read, but I just. can't. stop. :(
Image Image
EofS

Post by EofS »

Wingsrising wrote:Thank you for posting Cleolinda's summary, EofS. Her take on it was pretty similar to mine, although I think she enjoyed it somewhat more than I did. I mean, I did find it entertaining, but it certainly doesn't bear re-reading (and I'm a big re-reader).
I think it's the insanity of the fandom she enjoys as much as the books. Plus the fact that 'RPattz' (Cedric in Harry Potter) who is playing Edward seems to find the books as ridiculous as she does. There's a wonderful article somewhere where it's revealed Rupert Grint is reading Twilight because he lost a bet with RPattz. It's amazing.

Oh, and she enjoys them because whenever she's feeling down about her own writing she reads Twilight for half an hour and then feels a LOT better ;0)
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

I was going to post an additional non-deep thought I had about the Twilight series and now I just remembered what it was.

Spoilers for New Moon:
They make a big deal about how impression can't be resisted by either the wolf or the girl. The wolf because he's the one who's impressing, the girl because, "that kind of love and devotion is hard to resist" or something.

Given how pretty she appears to be, I'm surprised Myers has never had to deal with a guy following her around like a puppy who's way more interested in her then she is in him. Because I'm not nearly as pretty as she appears to be and *I've* certainly had it happen.

And no, it's not hard to resist. It's really fucking annoying, actually. You just want to turn around and snap at them, "Fod God's sake, I'm just not that into you, get the hint already!" Except that would like kicking a puppy.

Not that there's a guy at church who keeps doing that to me or anything.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

Give it another three years and see if it's still hard to resist.

*ducks and runs*
Image Image
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

AngharadTy wrote:Give it another three years and see if it's still hard to resist.

*ducks and runs*
?????
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen

Post by AngharadTy »

I'm just sayin', he will have proved his devotion to you by then! Maybe you'll like him! How can you resist! =D
Image Image
Rainbow Daydreamer

Post by Rainbow Daydreamer »

Goldenchaos wrote:Ive always been curious about the Acorna book..so spoil away, Rainbow.
Right! On the Mary-Sueness of Acorna. The bolded checklist items are taken from quite a few Mary-Sue lists I've seen, paraphrased a little.
Tragic Past: Acorna ("the Unicorn Girl") is found as an infant in space after her parents have died.
Unusual Appearance: Because of her alien heritage, Acorna has whitish-silver hair and silvery eyes, as well as a horn-like bump on her forehead.
Precocity: The child Acorna is a phenomenally quick learner once she's grasped the basics of language, if memory serves.
"Idealised" Age: Acorna has abnormally fast growth that rapidly gives her the appearance of a girl in her mid-teens when her real age is nothing of the sort. I'll grant that this isn't the sort of "idealised age" that most Mary-Sues get...
Unreal Beauty: Even as a small child, Acorna captivates almost everyone who sees her. Some want to love her, others to keep her as a precious treasure.
Innocent Purity: Acorna is a chaste and pure creature in the first book, with very little understanding of sexual desire. However, she is fond of children.
Otherwise Unknown Abilities: Acorna has the power to heal injuries, neutralise poison and...
Overpowered Healing: ...possibly, in one case, bring another character back from the dead, though IIRC it's never made completely clear.
Contagious Idealism: Acorna's objection to an oppressive status quo is all that's needed to tip it over in a way that generations of inhabitants have never managed.
Flawless Cause: The cause Acorna turns her hand to is liberating thousands of children from an oppressive working life. There is absolutely no moral downside to this. Am I the only one who thinks it could be a textbook example of a Good Thing To Do? It's the sort of operation you dream of as a child: instead of worrying about changing systems of government and civilisation, simply swoop in on an aeroplane, scoop up all the kids and take them to safety.
Protector of the innocent: Among the children, Acorna acquires the status of a benevolent deity, "Lukia of the Lights" or "Sita of the Sky and Above".
Excuse any misremembered details.
Visit Semiveteran Logic, disliked by eight out of ten Meepits.
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Post by Seerow »

I actually rather enjoyed the first Acorna book. Sure it wasn't anything ground breaking, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. The rest of the series went downhill fast though.

I know its won numerous awards, but I hated The Great Gatsby. It was terribly boring. The author even managed to turn being run over by a car boring.

And another English class book that I loathed was Great Expectations. That was the first ever English book I never finished reading, and in fact stopped a few chapters in and just read Sparknotes for class. I can't even tell you why it sucked since I don't remember a single thing about it. So I guess that would be reason enough?

Dandelion Wine is another notable mention. It had an entire chapter dedicated to buying a pair of sneakers.

....I really didn't hate high school English. Just the books they made us read.
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.
bonecrivain
Incorrigible Bookworm
Human Avatar: 157826

Post by bonecrivain »

The first time I tried to read Great Expectations, I hated it and got through maybe 30 pages before quitting. The second time I tried, I absolutely loved it. I've had that experience with a fair number of books, which is why I generally try to give everything a second try. The one book I haven't returned to is Rudyard Kipling's Kim. My brother said he loved that book, but it was sort of horribly boring, and I got halfway through and couldn't remember a single thing that happened, so I stuck a bookmark in and haven't touched it since.
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

I'm not sure what I loathed more, The Great Gatsby, or the people telling me that the only reason I loathed it was because I just didn't understand it. It was ridiculously horrible and akin to reading a day time soap opera about rich people. I should care, why? School in Ohio generally lead me to hate learning, but the way they had to dissect books into itty bitty pieces and force feed you their interpretations was downright disgusting. I think I failed Literature/Composition that year because of The Great Gatsby. Meh. I made it up by taking the senior class my junior year. The Grapes of Wrath also made me vomit at the time. I remember being bored to tears by A Tale of Two Cities, which I chose to read on my on when I was about 11. I couldn't begin to tell you what it was about, but it was probably the first book I never finished reading. I might have made it half way.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen

Post by AngharadTy »

I loved The Great Gatsby, but I can also see why few others seem to. Heh. I just like how he writes. And that, even though it's crap about rich people, there was enough for me to identify with. That's hard to do.

I also liked The Grapes of Wrath (mostly), and A Tale of Two Cities (even though I didn't know the ending before I read it, and even so, it was obvious once you get past the character intros). I wonder, though--all those books were read under my senior year English teacher, and she is a fantastic teacher, so she really imparted her own love and enthusiasm when we read them. Some of the worst books I read, I read under my worst English teachers--Across Five Aprils, My Antonia, Scarlet Letter... Honestly, just because something is old doesn't automatically make it good. But it seems like that's what everyone thinks. ;P
Image Image
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Post by Seerow »

Ohh god I forgot about the Scarlet Letter. Horrible horrible book. The movie was even worse though I think. The lead actresses eyes were freaky.
I never had to read A Tale of Two Cities or Grapes of Wrath, though I heard plenty of hate stories about them.
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.
Arviragus

Post by Arviragus »

Two books I absolutely remember loathing, both from my first year of university, were Frankenstein and The English Patient. I know they're classics, but, BLEH.
Subeta
TCStarwind
Human Avatar: 99635

Post by TCStarwind »

While I enjoyed most of what we had to read in our English classes, there were some books I absolutely hated. First and foremost: Catcher in the Rye. I didn't understand it well, and the main character complained about absolutely everything (there was a page and a half of him ranting about suitcases for god's sakes. Suitcases!). I hate Frankenstein with a passion, as well. I got to chapter 16 before I quit and got the rest from spark notes. I never finished reading Great Expectations, either, which I just found plain boring.

I can't even remember anything else. Seems I learned what I needed to pass the tests and then promptly forgot everything. XD
bonecrivain
Incorrigible Bookworm
Human Avatar: 157826

Post by bonecrivain »

OH. OH. Speaking of classics that aren't necessarily good.

I hate Melville. Okay, granted, I haven't read Moby Dick, but after loathing every page of Billy Budd, I can't bring myself to read his much, much longer book (with all its digressions about whale hunting). I actively avoided college classes that would have required me to read it.