Director, Claude Berri Dies at 74...

Non-neopets general discussion.
Usul_Princess

Director, Claude Berri Dies at 74...

Post by Usul_Princess »

http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/ ... 4292.story

I found this out yesterday. He died on Monday, and I actually had tears in my eyes.
Claude Berri is an infamous director in France, and well known in Western Europe. He's written a handful of movies, and acted in a couple of other ones when he first started to get off the ground. He's most famous for writing the 1986 movies "Jean de Florette" and it's sequel "Manon des Sources". These two movies are like the 'Gone with the Wind' of France. It's by far my favorite foreign film, and the sequel is better than the original, which is rare.

The movie takes place in Southern France after WWI. A greedy landowner and his nephew conspire to block the only source of well water on the adjoining property to force the new neighbors to sell the land, so they can buy it from them cheap to profit off a carnation farm they plan to use it for.

Part II takes place about 10 years later.

Formidable movie, and I recommend people who enjoy classics to at least give it a chance. I'm biased toward France and the cultures because I've studied it, but this movie is beyond better than I can explain without giving anything away. I will tell you it has a grand epiphany at the end of part II, and it has excellent foreshadowing to keep you guessing. If you don't speak a lick of French there's subtitles in English, Spanish, and I think Italian.

I was a little miffed that I didn't buy a genuine copy on Ebay after Christmas, but now the rips are selling for $40.00 each, (Death profits. *rolls eyes*) and I only paid $13.99.

It is uploaded on Youtube somewhere, but you'll get a better experience, not watching it off your computer.
ImageImage

Thank you TCStarwind for the lovely signature! ^_^

FC bets: http://www.neopets.com/~DazedBoy