Bloodred Manchu and Celinox

For posting new and revamped pet colours on Subeta.
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Bloodred Manchu and Celinox

Post by Seerow »

ImageImage

The Manchu is quite awesome. Insane little monkey guy and it almost looks like all that blood could be coming from his exploding chest :P Aliens pet anyone? But really though, the maniacal laughter and classic psycho pose is just perfect for the Manchu.

The Celinox isn't bad or anything, but I'm not really feeling it. It seems more alley cat then proud lynx to me and that just doesn't seem to fit with the species. It also doesn't quite look like a Celinox somehow. I do think blood is nice and I like the pawprint on the ground and the spikes are lovely.
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.
Aqua

Re: Bloodred Manchu and Celinox

Post by Aqua »

Manchu is awesome. XD Though it looks like it might topple over since there isn't a leg further back to counteract his upper body being back. :P Celinox isn't too bad, but I don't find the blood as natural looking on it (too drippy, I don't think blood would drip that smoothly on fur).
TCStarwind
Human Avatar: 99635

Post by TCStarwind »

The manchu is disturbing. In a good way, I think. I agree with Seerow in that it to fit the species perfectly. It does look like it'll fall over, though. XD

The celinox isn't really working for me, either. I think the spikes need to start farther up on the back, around the shoulders. It also gives me the impression that it's smaller than a regular celinox, maybe it's just the pose... I do think it could have benefitted from looking more regal, with its head up and puffing out its chest or something.
Zekumi

Post by Zekumi »

Am I the only one kind of getting a vibe that the same person who did the Graveyard Montre did this Celinox ...?
Both of these just feel so small [and kind of lackluster?]. Especially when you go to Subeta 'New Colours' and see them side by side with the Graveyard Mahar (who in contrast took space up very well).

I don't dislike the Manchu overall. It's a nice concept.
But look at the tails on both of these guys. The Celinox's tail is completely smooth, and the Manchu's is *nearly* as smooth. They look like they were done by someone who has a very hard time doing tails.

They just look funky to me. And the very end of the Celinox's tail looks like it got chopped off or something. Very blunt. But not in a good or intentional way.
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Post by Seerow »

Jill did the Montre where as Keshi does the Celinox, so nope, not the same artists. There's a definite difference in coloring, shading, and style as well.
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.
Zekumi

Post by Zekumi »

^
I can't tell. :P

The low poses and general smallness come off as very similar to me.

EDIT: Actually, now that I'm looking at it, I *can* see a difference in level of detail and shading.
So I guess you're right.

About the tails, though - Image for comparison:

When you look at past colours in contrast, the vast difference in quality is evident.
Last edited by Zekumi on 26 Oct 2009 05:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Erstin
Human Avatar: 340918

Post by Erstin »

I'm so disappointed with the Celinox, I was really hoping for a nice and powerful pose and this one doesn't deliver it to me.
I agree that the tail is very wrong, doesn't match any other Celinox(es?) at all. Looks almost like rubber.
And the crystals should be near the shoulder not that far. I'm sad :(

I really like the manchu, looks very vicious.
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

Too much blood for my tastes.

I mean, yeah. I know bloodred = blood, but this strikes me as an "so much blood I can't begin to take it seriously anymore" amount of blood.
Sayle

Post by Sayle »

Zekumi wrote:Am I the only one kind of getting a vibe that the same person who did the Graveyard Montre did this Celinox ...?
Both of these just feel so small [and kind of lackluster?]. Especially when you go to Subeta 'New Colours' and see them side by side with the Graveyard Mahar (who in contrast took space up very well)... But look at the tails on both of these guys. The Celinox's tail is completely smooth, and the Manchu's is *nearly* as smooth. They look like they were done by someone who has a very hard time doing tails.
Nope... completely different artists. Jag does the montre, Keshi does the celinox, Rah did the manchu. Keshi did the other two celinoxes you posted (nightmare and graveyard), so I'm not sure what you're getting at. The tail's smoother than the tails on the nightmare and graveyard (whose raggedness can be attributed to the colour), but it's consistent with the species if you take a look at the common.

Neither are pets I'd own (art is great, just don't like the colour!), but I do think the manchu's pose is perfect for the species. :D
Pyrostatic

Post by Pyrostatic »

-sighs- I've really got to stop having such high expectations for new pets that I want. =x
With that being said, I'm not so sure about this Bloodred Celinox. I want to love it, I really do. I think if I made my own overlay, I could deal with it. But, it just doesn't even look remotely like a Celinox should look. It resembles too much like a canine and not so much a regal cat. The whole body is just too small. The fur is too smooth for a pissed off cat. The neck fur should be raised, the tail should be more...poofy? And the chest, it gives the illusion of the Celi being a bit on the hefty side. That, and the dark shading makes it look even more noticeable. And on another note with the dark shading, a lot of detail is lost. If the size of the Celi was just right, then there wouldn't be so much conflict over this. For me, anyways. I don't know what I'm going to do with my fandom Celi, Haji. I was really looking forward to the BR Celi, and now, I'm just disappointed. Please don't kill me. ;-;

The Manchu is too dark for my liking. But the concept is pretty cool. Although, it looks like it's about to fall over, like someone shot it in the chest and all the blood is spewing out of it's mouth and dripping down from the chest. And as someone said, the fur is too smooth. But at least the artist used up the space nicely. Lately I've noticed the artists are having to draw their pet smaller to fit the 200x200 canvas size, and I personally don't like it. It takes away from the pet's potential.
Zekumi

Post by Zekumi »

Sayle wrote:
Zekumi wrote:Am I the only one kind of getting a vibe that the same person who did the Graveyard Montre did this Celinox ...?
Both of these just feel so small [and kind of lackluster?]. Especially when you go to Subeta 'New Colours' and see them side by side with the Graveyard Mahar (who in contrast took space up very well)... But look at the tails on both of these guys. The Celinox's tail is completely smooth, and the Manchu's is *nearly* as smooth. They look like they were done by someone who has a very hard time doing tails.
Nope... completely different artists. Jag does the montre, Keshi does the celinox, Rah did the manchu. Keshi did the other two celinoxes you posted (nightmare and graveyard), so I'm not sure what you're getting at. The tail's smoother than the tails on the nightmare and graveyard (whose raggedness can be attributed to the colour), but it's consistent with the species if you take a look at the common.

Neither are pets I'd own (art is great, just don't like the colour!), but I do think the manchu's pose is perfect for the species. :D
Yes, I know.
Someone already pointed that out a few posts up.

:P

I wasn't at all saying THEY'RE TOTALLY BY THE SAME ARTIST. I just said I was "getting a vibe" that they might have been done by the same artist, since they looked similar to me.

My point was that the tail looks like old art. It's lacking in detail in contrast to the other two (at least to me).
It doesn't matter who did them. I was just comparing different colors to demonstrate how I felt the Bloodred's tail specifically was/is inferior.

I specifically used the Graveyard and Nightmare as examples because they're newer.
I don't know how old it is, but the common image of the Celinox looks relatively outdated.
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

Aaaa! Don't touch my Common Celinox!!! :-)
C. Dagger

Post by C. Dagger »

Pyrostatic wrote:But, it just doesn't even look remotely like a Celinox should look. It resembles too much like a canine and not so much a regal cat. The whole body is just too small. The fur is too smooth for a pissed off cat. The neck fur should be raised, the tail should be more...poofy? And the chest, it gives the illusion of the Celi being a bit on the hefty side. That, and the dark shading makes it look even more noticeable. And on another note with the dark shading, a lot of detail is lost.
This is pretty much exactly how I feel about the new Celinox. =/ I feel like it's completely lost that feline, graceful appeal and become too bulky and canid. I want to continue loving the Celinoxes as much as I used to, but with each release I feel like the whole reason I fell in love with the pet (it's probably my favorite species, along with the Cadogre) isn't even there in the newer ones.

The art is nice though and I know others will care for it even though I don't, so I suppose it's not the end of the world. c:
Amphigorey
Human Avatar: 435031

Post by Amphigorey »

The Manchu is nice, but I don't like how you can't really see the eyes. I have a weird love for facial expressions and it annoys me when I can't see eyes. Windows to the soul or something right?

I want to like the Celinox but it's off. The pose is too diagonal, the face is too small, the feet are too big, the spikes should be higher up and I agree that the tail looks like a piece of rubber. The thing that bugs me the most is the chubbiness of the stomach doesn't follow up to the neck, so it looks fat and loses the sleekness it should have.

On a more positive side I like the way the legs were done and the weird, thick gem (?) eyebrows almost look natural here, and I always thought of it as a wolf so I don't mind the canine-ness, but it's still nothing I'd one.
Alicorn
Human Avatar: 160932

Post by Alicorn »

The celinox is alright. I don't really mind the pose to much. It looks like it's stalking, I like that. What bothers me about it is the placement of the gems. They are to far down the back. If you look at the other celinoxes you'll see their gems are placed at their shoulder blades. With where the gems are on this one, it looks off.

I like the manchu. The pose really fits it. And it does look like it's about to fall backwards, which I think is funny. It's so into it's evil laugh that it's about to fall over. XD
Sig/Av by: thelonetiel