Revamped GY Hipottu/Hikei

For posting new and revamped pet colours on Subeta.
Saturn

Revamped GY Hipottu/Hikei

Post by Saturn »

Image Image

Pretty nice. I like that they kept the Hipottu's dangling entrails (and its expression just amuses me for some reason XD), and the scars are nicely gruesome looking (a plus as far as I'm concerned ;D)

The Hikei's new face (especially that exposed eyeball) is nicely freaky. Definitely one of the most needed GY revamps, so I really can't complain about anything there.

I can't seem to find images of the old ones to compare, though. :/
Last edited by Saturn on 27 Oct 2009 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Enriana
Human Avatar: 155464

Re: Revamped GY Hipottu/Hikei

Post by Enriana »

Is it just me, or do these look really simple?

Now, I don't mean bad simple. They're well-drawn, and I like them. (The Hikei is especially disturbing). But they also seem to be kind of.. simple. Like there are very few details. Maybe they're using a new shading method, and that's what I'm seeing? Something seems ever-so-slightly off, and I can't pin it down.
Pyrostatic

Revamped Graveyard Hipottu & Hikei

Post by Pyrostatic »

First lets start with the Hipottu. I like the blind eye, I wish it had spread to it's other one. I kind of also wish it had drool dripping out of it's mouth. Is it just me or are the wings a little too high up? The front legs look a little too bent, but it is a Graveyard pet. Never mind, I see the broken bone in the front left leg. xD

The Hikei is pretty spiffeh. Compared to the old, this is better 10 fold. I like the expression very much. The sudden "WHUT...!" is rather disturbing, but in a good way. It seems a little front-end heavy though, or at least it gives that illusion. I'm going to miss the flies that were in place for the orbs, but I think I could deal with the cracked orbs on this new guy.
Last edited by Pyrostatic on 27 Oct 2009 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Post by Seerow »

ImageImage

The Hipposaru is great! I like that the pose wasn't changed too much and it still looks goofy. It really is amusing and the artist did a really great job on this revamp.

The Hikei I also like. The cracked and overgrown hooves are a nice touch and I'm warming up to the face. It freaked me out at first, but that's good considering this is a Graveyard pet so mission accomplished. I'm gonna miss the flies too though, they were my favorite part of the old Hikei.
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

Can I ask someone to do me a favour? Ordinarily, I get notifications from a few people that revamps have happened, but for some reason, these appear to have dried up and I've had nothing since the 14th, while I know things have been revamped. This is my list of the most recently revamped pets (most recent first):
Graveyard Mallarchy, Graveyard Clawsion, Darkmatter Velosotor, Darkmatter Swampie, Darkmatter Hipottu, Darkmatter Charlie, Darkmatter Ghostly, Darkmatter Fester, Darkmatter Antlephore, Darkmatter Kumos, Arid Hipottu, Common Hipottu, Cream Hipottu, Dawn Hipottu, Dusk Hipottu, Field Hipottu, Gold Hipottu, Lilac Hipottu, Marsh Hipottu, Sun Hipottu.

If someone could compile a list of any others which have been revamped, I'd be grateful (including in the case of any whole-species revamps, exactly which colours that means, because it rarely includes every colour). I'm happy to keep the ratings updated if people will help me out.
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Post by Seerow »

Hmm odd, I know I've been sending in notifications of revamps. I'll try sending some notifications to see if you get them as well as a pmed list here in a little bit.
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

That's very strange - if you could try sending me a few notifications, I'll try and work out what's going on. They aren't ending up in my Junk folders or anywhere else; it's almost as though it isn't attempting to send me them.

edit: evidently public bitching works again - I'm now getting new rating reset requests, having changed exactly nothing. I've not got any of the missing ones, but hopefully it'll be sending me new ones :)
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Post by Jessi »

Personally, when I first looked at the Hipposaru, it looked almost airbrushed rather than cellshaded in Subeta style. And actually, i'm still getting that unless I REALLY stare at it for quite a while to find all the layers of shading. I think the shading this time could have been a bit more dynamic. I'm not really a fan of this pet or pose, so it doesn't affect me personally, but I feel like it's way too soft, almost blurry.

The Hikei's face also freaks me out, but I think it's that nice view of horse teeth, which are just freaky anyway ;_; It's just the right amount of dead I think though, not TOO skin-pealing-off-ish.

Oh and Jazzy, I was also sending them in xD So I'm glad to see it's working again!
TCStarwind
Human Avatar: 99635

Post by TCStarwind »

The hikei is terrifying. In a good way (I mean, it's supposed to be creepy, right?). That face is utterly scary, and never something I'd want to see. Ever. o_o It is very nicely done, and a badly needed revamp (I never liked the old one).

The hipottu is much less scary and almost cute in a way. I feel bad for the poor guy. :( Also much better than before.
Aisu
Human Avatar: 314900

Post by Aisu »

I love both of these! The hipottu keeps the guts and expression that make me love it, and the Hikei is just great, especially that exposed eye and jaws! Both of them have lovely scars, too. :D
Amphigorey
Human Avatar: 435031

Post by Amphigorey »

The Hipottu was always one of my favorites, if only because of the guts falling out. The new one definitely keeps the spirit of the old one, though I wish the guts were bit more... crinkly or something. Intestines are not usually that smooth. And the shading is a bit odd; why is the light source coming from above it to the left? It's like it's flying to the Heavenly Light.

Hikei is nice. Didn't like the old one, don't mind the new one. Only complaint is the pose (splayed out) is very young-looking, and I miss the flies-for-balls.
Luxe

Post by Luxe »

Amphigorey wrote:The Hipottu was always one of my favorites, if only because of the guts falling out. The new one definitely keeps the spirit of the old one, though I wish the guts were bit more... crinkly or something. Intestines are not usually that smooth. And the shading is a bit odd; why is the light source coming from above it to the left? It's like it's flying to the Heavenly Light.
I actually asked whether or not those intestines were accurate when it was in its critiquing stages and we ended up doing research on intestines! Well, by "we" I mean Darling.
Don't click these links if raw intestines bother you!

They can be pretty smooth, but they can also be a little lumpy and textured.
I decided to go with the "pretty smooth" reference since they seemed the most "full" and shaped like the ones of the hipottu.
Bumblegoat

Post by Bumblegoat »

Luxe wrote:
Amphigorey wrote:The Hipottu was always one of my favorites, if only because of the guts falling out. The new one definitely keeps the spirit of the old one, though I wish the guts were bit more... crinkly or something. Intestines are not usually that smooth. And the shading is a bit odd; why is the light source coming from above it to the left? It's like it's flying to the Heavenly Light.
I actually asked whether or not those intestines were accurate when it was in its critiquing stages and we ended up doing research on intestines! Well, by "we" I mean Darling.
Don't click these links if raw intestines bother you!

They can be pretty smooth, but they can also be a little lumpy and textured.
I decided to go with the "pretty smooth" reference since they seemed the most "full" and shaped like the ones of the hipottu.
But... are you sure the ones in the first picture aren't sausage? I know that some sausages are made using cleaned intestines, and they tend to look like that. I sometimes eat a type of sausage that very much reminds me of that first picture. Plus, that picture is from a market, so it wouldn't surprise me if it was sausage.
Alicorn
Human Avatar: 160932

Post by Alicorn »

The hipottu is a good update. It keeps the spirit of the old one while updateing the art. There was no improving on this pose so I'm glad they kept it.

I love the hikei! So much better then the old one. The missing lips and exposed eyeball are the best part for me. I also like the little extras with the hooves been over grown and tattered looking to the orbs old and broken looking. Great job artist!
Sig/Av by: thelonetiel
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Post by Jessi »

Bumblegoat, you can also buy intestines in the market - we've seen them before, heh, and they've looked similar to that.