New pet: Bumbus

For posting new and revamped pet colours on Subeta.
Huggles
Feral Koala

Re: New pet: Bumbus

Post by Huggles »

It's not bad for what it is. It's a chubby, cute, big-butted bee thing with a face not quite like any buggy thing I've ever seen. It also looks more like the chibi version of something else. Mostly, my lot is tossed in with everyone wondering why this when there's millions of buggy critters out there to choose from. Which brings up my original beef with Subeta's species redundancy.I'll give kudos for at least not picking a furry cat/bunny/dog thing, but I'd rather have a scorpion/spider/mantis thing.
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Post by Seerow »

If someone wanted a cute chibi bug pet, I'm sure they love this. As someone who neither likes chibi nor bugs, I'll never own one and it doesn't really do anything for me. Field and Marsh have lovely colors though.

Still, it's great to see a new species and the blue building get some use! And the bee thing Luxe said works well for the reasoning, as well as any pet in the Blue Building would I imagine.
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.
Faun

Post by Faun »

hang on....If this looks like a chibi version. then what would the chibi version look like?
Neopets || Subeta
formerly known as fluffy-emo-wolf
Tumblr ||Twitter
Sunwolf
Human Avatar: 36334

Post by Sunwolf »

fluffy-emo-wolf wrote:hang on....If this looks like a chibi version. then what would the chibi version look like?
Bee larvae. It would totally redeem this thing.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y37/Lo ... orp_25.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y37/Lo ... rticle.jpg
My computer is connected to the internet and the internet contains everything in the whole wide world ever. I don't know about you but I sometimes find everything in the whole wide world ever a bit distracting.
Faun

Post by Faun »

That would be so cool! an awesome Idea.
Neopets || Subeta
formerly known as fluffy-emo-wolf
Tumblr ||Twitter
Griffin
Human Avatar: 156329

Post by Griffin »

Now that is cute. I'm scared to imagine how much bigger the real chibi Bumbus' eyes and head are going to be.
ZomgethMew

Post by ZomgethMew »

Cranberry wrote:Wow, ZomgethMew, that's some constructive criticism right there. What are your problems with the pet? If it's not your personal taste, fine... I think it's cute but wouldn't own one, myself, as I prefer mammalian pets. It's well-drawn, though, so I don't see how you can say it's awful and Pie's not even trying. Care to elaborate?
*headdesk*
No, no, I didn't mean the artist wasn't trying x'D I mean, the pet. Sure, it's welldrawn, but.. it looks too cutesy >3< Sure, it's not my personal taste anyway, but I like the Illumis just fine and I wouldn't.. really call /that/ my personal taste, so.. ^^; I dunno. It just looks like something you'd see in a kid's show.

..though, I'd like to see what they do with it for the Bloodred and Graveyard colours. Could be interesting. But yeah, I.. wasn't trying to give constructive criticism o__o; Just voicing my opinions on it.
edit; I'll agree that I'm thankful for another insect instead of a cat/dog/dragon, though. Way too many of those on Subeta :B.
Neopets: wocky_luvpet5566 | Subeta: omg_carrie
Mayhem
Human Avatar: 168272

Post by Mayhem »

I think I like the idea of the more than ... them. It's cool that there's a new way of getting a pet, but the pet itself is pretty meh. It's cute as hell, but it's *too* cute, and that's why I dislike it. :(
Varicolored on Subeta
ImageImageImageImageImage
WisteriaLynx
Human Avatar: 319191

Post by WisteriaLynx »

I like the reasoning behind it - worker bees - but it's just... too cute for me. xD Though I must say, I don't mind the fact that it's uber-cuteness means that it's not setting off my Fear of Bees Liek Whoa.

*also wants a larva chibi*
Purr

Post by Purr »

Image Image
Oh wow, these really do look alike... *is disappointed*
Mistress Morbid

Post by Mistress Morbid »

Eurgh....

I mean no offense to the artist as there is nothing wrong with the pet in that degree, however the lack of originality and similarity to the only other insect pet is just incredibly dull.

I can't really fathom why they would decide to make a brand new pet, then give it a blatant likeness to one already in existence. As others have said, this pretty much looks like a super chibified version of the Illumis.

Were there really no other bug-like creatures they could have based a new pet on? I'd much rather see a spider, or something unusual and rare than a sickeningly cute chubby baby Illumis. Maybe they don't look identical, but to me they're far too similar to be thought of as separate pets. =/

Bleh, I'm disappointed.
Image Image
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

I really don't see this similarity that everyone keeps talking about. They have two eyes and six legs and two wings and two antennnae...? They're insects; of course some features will be the same at the base, but it's different in just about every way it can be, really. The antennae and wings are drastically different. The "hands" are completely different. The butts are different. The eyes are different.The way the limbs join to the body is different. One has a mouth and a silly expression. The only similarity, really, is that they both have ruffs, but that's just a cartoony extension of what real insects have.

So really, the similarity is "they're both insects," and on a site with about half a dozen dragon pets, that obviously doesn't matter.
Image Image
Mistress Morbid

Post by Mistress Morbid »

I suppose it's more the fact that I look at it and instantly see a flying insect with a mane, six legs, and overall similar shape to the Illumis.

Of course they're not identical by any means, but since the Illumis was the first then my mind automatically supplies it as a reference to base off of, and I can't help but think of them as similar.

Even though many bugs/insects have that same anatomy, there could have been many ways to make it look different enough so as not to instantly draw a 'Hey, it's like a chibi Illumis' from people. Anyways, that's just how I see it.

*still wants scorpion or spider*
Image Image
Kamil
Not the nice one
Human Avatar: 72834

Post by Kamil »

To me they do look really like one another: they each have a mane, they're each in the exact same pose, only flipped - butt low, head tipped slightly down, bodies hanging in identical angles (see above pics). They had a zillion other options, but they stuck a big, fluffy mane on it and posed it just like an Illumis.

Similarities aside, I'd like it a whole great big bunch more if it weren't so sickeningly cute. Just looking at it makes my teeth itch.
Image Image
MM and Twofold rock, yo.
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

I don't think it looks like a chibi illumis, so much as a chibi something else. Like, I want to see what the grown up version of this pet would be.