New pet: Bumbus

For posting new and revamped pet colours on Subeta.
Alicorn
Human Avatar: 160932

Re: New pet: Bumbus

Post by Alicorn »

It's alright. Like others it's just to overly cute for my tastes. I like the idea behind it just not the pet so much. It would of been nice to have a different bug pet, a non flying one maybe. But can't complain to much, at least we got another bug pet.
I must admit though, I'm quiet interested in seeing what kind of re-draws come for this.
Sig/Av by: thelonetiel
Slugawoo

Post by Slugawoo »

I pretty much agree with the majority. It's cute to the point where it's sickening. I also don't care for it's goofy face. I understand why they went with a bee, but I wish they'd gone with a cooler type of bee. Like, I don't know... a wasp or hornet, maybe? Something that wouldn't look so much like the illumis.

I love insects, but I really can't stand this pet. And I feel a bit bitter about it, because I get the feeling we won't get another insect pet for awhile now that this one was just released. :x I'm also confused as to how it could possibly lift itself off the ground with those wings, but when has Subeta's pet's wings ever made sense?
Mistress Morbid

Post by Mistress Morbid »

Slugawoo wrote:I'm also confused as to how it could possibly lift itself off the ground with those wings, but when has Subeta's pet's wings ever made sense?
Heh, though to be fair a bumblebee in real life isn't supposed to be able to fly due to its bizarre wing-to-body ratio or something. xD
Image Image
Amphigorey
Human Avatar: 435031

Post by Amphigorey »

Mistress Morbid wrote:
Slugawoo wrote:I'm also confused as to how it could possibly lift itself off the ground with those wings, but when has Subeta's pet's wings ever made sense?
Heh, though to be fair a bumblebee in real life isn't supposed to be able to fly due to its bizarre wing-to-body ratio or something. xD
That's an urban myth, actually! Scientists have never really doubted the bumblebee's ability to fly. I think one person suggested it in the 1800s or something, and then it somehow became 'fact'.
Mistress Morbid

Amphigorey wrote:
Mistress Morbid wrote:
That's an urban myth, actually! Scientists have never really doubted the bumblebee's ability to fly. I think one person suggested it in the 1800s or something, and then it somehow became 'fact'.
Oh really, how interesting! I'd honestly thought it was true, haha. xD
Image Image
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

I think it was more along the lines of us not being able to understand why it could fly, when our understanding of flight was a tad bit more limited. I can't really imagine a scientist doubting the ability of a bee to fly when you can, you know, look outside and see them flying around.
Mistress Morbid

Huggles wrote:I think it was more along the lines of us not being able to understand why it could fly, when our understanding of flight was a tad bit more limited. I can't really imagine a scientist doubting the ability of a bee to fly when you can, you know, look outside and see them flying around.
It wasn't doubting them being able to fly, but them marvelling at how it could fly when apparently it shouldn't have been able to. I believe it was something to do with how tiny the wings are in proportion to a bumblebee's relative size, shape, and weight. But I guess that's all just a myth anyways. xD
Image Image
Amphigorey
Human Avatar: 435031

Post by Amphigorey »

I must admit that my main source is Cracked.com, but they have pretty good sources for their material. It's in a book I have laying around here somewhere, too.

To paraphrase, it SEEMS impossible when you compare them to a bird or an airplane, but when you start thinking of them as helicopters it makes a lot more sense that they can fly.

ON TOPIC: Hopefully the Bumbus will get some kind of redraw color soon. If it's good it could sway my opinion of the pet from 'meh' to 'pretty good' or even 'awesome!'.
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

Mistress Morbid wrote:
Huggles wrote:I think it was more along the lines of us not being able to understand why it could fly, when our understanding of flight was a tad bit more limited. I can't really imagine a scientist doubting the ability of a bee to fly when you can, you know, look outside and see them flying around.
It wasn't doubting them being able to fly, but them marvelling at how it could fly when apparently it shouldn't have been able to. I believe it was something to do with how tiny the wings are in proportion to a bumblebee's relative size, shape, and weight. But I guess that's all just a myth anyways. xD
Which is exactly what I mean't. The last bit was sarcasm. It always is! :P
Plushie Lenny

Post by Plushie Lenny »

i don't play Subeta but i like to see the new colours and pets they put out

I think this pet is cute
i love Cream, Gold, Nuclear & Marsh