Glade Swampie

For posting new and revamped pet colours on Subeta.
Sunwolf
Human Avatar: 36334

Glade Swampie

Post by Sunwolf »

It's at such an awkward angle - I keep thinking that the tail is the head (with the red thing being the eye.) But the horns are cool, as is the fish and the little sea slug which looks like it's trying to mimic the Swampie! I really want to like it, but I find it just so confusingly awkward.
My computer is connected to the internet and the internet contains everything in the whole wide world ever. I don't know about you but I sometimes find everything in the whole wide world ever a bit distracting.
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Re: Glade Swampie

Post by Jessi »

I too find it a bit confusing and off, and it seems like there's a lot of white space - it really could have used a few more fish, I think, or some other underwater creatures following it.

Also, I feel like the fins look REALLY really small, but that just might be the angle, I guess. Either way, it just looks weird to me.
Silverevilchao
Human Avatar: 155477

Post by Silverevilchao »

I'm having a very difficult time making the pose out. The head looks flat and undershaded, and the vegetation near the jawline makes it look like it has a beard. Not very fond of this one. :(
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod
Human Avatar: 166931

Post by Joey »

Are we getting mooned? Yeah, this isn't one of my favorite glade pets. The underwater style vegetation is nicely done and positioned, but I think the pose really hurts it the most. Meh.
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Post by Seerow »

I think this pose would have worked much better on a color that isn't as busy as Glade is. I keep thinking the tail is the head, like most of the rest of you. If it didn't have any vegetation I don't think I'd keep making that assumption.
I do rather like the little sea slug thingy!
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.
MissBatty

Post by MissBatty »

I want to like this, since I usually like swampie's, but the pose just isn't something...well...suited for Subeta. I don't find it awkward, but I think it would have been so much better in another pose. I'm not fond of pets that are viewed from the back, save for the Glacier Harvester.

This also seems a bit bare, it could go for a few more fish. Like, maybe four? Ugh, I dunno.
Pyrostatic

Post by Pyrostatic »

Took me about 5 minutes to figure out where it's left fin was. And even though I found it, I'm still confused. Where the black line is in between the neck and fin, really baffles me. It's just too awkward. -shrugs- It's interesting, but not something I want to look at because it's messin' my eyes up.
Griffin
Human Avatar: 156329

Post by Griffin »

My eyes literally looked up and down this Swampie about ten times before finding the head. It was kind of shocking at first. I really like the style and the way its face is drawn, but it's that left... uh, right fin? that I really can't make sense of. It's a pretty cool concept though.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

I needed the news posts's help to figure out what species it was when I saw it posted. It's a creative angle, but maybe a bit too creative!
Image Image
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

I think the details cover up too many lines needed to tell what's going on. The left fin looks like it's been cut off at the end, leaving just a nub, because of the thingies living there. The lines for that fin also cross the neck and body in a weird way. I'm also not fond of the beard, my apologies to Joey, or the mouth which looks a bit horse like here. I don't get the two rows of orange spikes or the single green unicorn horn. With all that said, I don't hate it. I just don't understand it.
Mayhem
Human Avatar: 168272

Post by Mayhem »

Aw, this makes me really sad. I love Swampies, and I was hoping for good things out of this one... but I'm wondering how it made it through the art approval process in the first place. The pose is so awkward, the neck looks broken or SEVERELY uncomfortable, and there is a lack of little creatures around it.

I would have loved to see this rather seahorse-like, or at least in a pose where it could show off the spines - which appear to be cattails, which is a neat idea. This had a lot of potential, I think the execution is very poor. If colors are ever considered for redraws because of their unpopularity, I hope this one is it. Whoever the new artist is seems to have a habit of trying to put them in unique poses... and I understand they don't have a lot to work with, but a little more consideration needs to be taken, because the Swampie recolors' details are starting to blur into the bodies pretty badly.
Varicolored on Subeta
ImageImageImageImageImage
Bacon

Post by Bacon »

It was funny reading the comments for this pet on Subeta. There are some members who will like anything that site releases!
Ierosbats

Post by Ierosbats »

What's funny about some people liking different pets than you? I assumed this was kind of a given, but just because you don't like something doesn't mean no one else is allowed to. That's why Subeta has multiple pet species and multiple colour options: not everyone likes the same things. I don't understand what aspect of that is funny, unless by "It was funny reading the comments for this pet on Subeta. There are some members who will like anything that site releases!" you really meant "It's interesting to me that other people have opinions different from mine! I should remember this more often so I don't sound so judgmental." That's probably more what you meant, right?

I like the swampie a lot and (this might be shocking to people, but) I certainly don't like every pet that is released. Glade is easily my least favorite colour on Subeta; the pets are often too busy and I think their poses tend to be boring. I like that this Glade pet's plants/creatures are a little more sparse, and that it hasn't just been plonked down on a patch of grass with a butterfly slapped on/near its face. I get that not everyone likes when artists take risks, but I appreciate it. I think the pose is a daring choice, and that it works wonderfully. It's a sea creature; it should look like it's in motion. Had it been sprawled out on a plant-covered surface like most other glade pets, it probably would have looked dead, like it had sunk to the bottom of a lake and couldn't get up.
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.
Bacon

Post by Bacon »

No, but we've all pretty much been in agreement that, while the art is very nice, making heads or tails of... where the head and tail is... isn't easy, and thus can be considered somewhat of a flaw.
Teera

Post by Teera »

But you make it sound like everybody in the news raved about it. Most of the posts seem to talk about the angle and being confused about the pet... Unless your point is that it's funny that anybody liked it.