Kerubi Revamp - Now Complete

For posting new and revamped pet colours on Subeta.
kaitouX

Kerubi Revamp - Now Complete

Post by kaitouX »

Image Image

I like the new Kerubi a lot, it's a great improvement from the older version; it's much more adorable, the anatomy is better, especially with its front paws and legs.
Bacon

Kerubi Possible Revamp

Post by Bacon »

On first glance, I'm impressed. There doesn't look like much of a change to the pose, if any. I'm not one to comment on anatomy, so I wouldn't know if it was bad, but nothing sticks out. Much of an improvement in my opinion.

I laugh when I see these polls, though. Why would the majority of users EVER vote for the old, obviously outdated lineart? I know the Ontra was close, though...
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Re: Kerubi Possible Revamp

Post by Wingsrising »

I like. I think it's cute!

People who don't like the new option tend to vote for the "old" option even if they agree the art needs to be improved. When a very large number of people vote for the old option, that generally a cue that the revamp needs to be worked on.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

I like it overall. But I'm not sure if I'm a great judge of kerubis. The tail seems like it might have a bit more gloss than the rest of the fur--perhaps due to the size of the highlights? Or the shape of them?

One thing that I find very strange, though, is the pattern of dots by the eyes. The pair on our left slants like ', and the pair on our right slants like ', too. The dots on our right should slant more like ,' to mirror the ones under the other eye.

If that doesn't make sense, I can try having caffeine and rewriting it. ;)
Image Image
Mayhem
Human Avatar: 168272

Post by Mayhem »

I like it, this is what a good revamp looks like. It keeps the spirit of the pet, while improving on little things - lineart, color, anatomy... without changing the pet as a whole or making any major changes. More revamps need to be like this.
Varicolored on Subeta
ImageImageImageImageImage
Tiki
Human Avatar: 8869

Post by Tiki »

Can I just say how happy I am that the poor thing has a skull now? I've always thought that the basic color Kerubis look like they're anencephalic (google at your own risk, it simply means being born without a full brain) because the face is so thin and the eyes are so close to the top of the head. :|

No complaints overall- and I'm glad to see that the majority of the news comments seem to be thinking the same. I saw the news post and instinctively braced for a storm of drama, since it's such an old species and pretty popular.
Rah

Post by Rah »

Ty, that makes perfect sense to me xD Looks like I needed more caffeine when doing the eye dots, you're right and they are a bit on the wrong side! Easily fixed, though n__n

Haha, I've been wanting to do this revamp for SO LONG but I had to wait until my talent caught up with people's expectations first XD I was pleasantly surprised with the reaction, though! I think I was instinctively bracing for drama too. I haven't had a pet polled since the ruffie :3
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

Most of it is very well in keeping with the old Kerubi, but anatomy-wise, I do think the paws need fixing - they're little balls barely attached to the end of a very, very tapered leg. They don't look like they're properly on the floor at all, even for a digitigrade animal. The front left paw in particular doesn't look at all right.
Pyrostatic

Post by Pyrostatic »

I think the stripes on the legs and ears are a little too big. I think maybe make them less poofed up would be nice and less distracting. It's kinda weird how they just exploded in size. o.o
lar

Post by lar »

Eh, I guess I'm in the minority here, but the revamp doesn't seem all that great to me. I'm not a big fan of Kerubis in the first place, so it's not a big deal either way, but the old design had.. I dunno, more character, I suppose. It's in a cartoony way, and I suppose not everyone likes that, but the revamp looks stiff and posed to me. Yeah, the revamp has better shading and slightly more 'realistic' anatomy, but the linework and proportion feel much less fluid.

Oh and it totally looks like a Care Bear now. o_o
Oops, my karma ran over your dogma.
TCStarwind
Human Avatar: 99635

Post by TCStarwind »

Mayhem wrote:I like it, this is what a good revamp looks like. It keeps the spirit of the pet, while improving on little things - lineart, color, anatomy... without changing the pet as a whole or making any major changes. More revamps need to be like this.
This. Which is all I have to say, really. No complaints here. Good jorb, Rah. :D
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

lar wrote:Oh and it totally looks like a Care Bear now. o_o
Other than both being almost aggressively cute, I don't see it. What do you mean?
Image Image
thelonetiel
Human Avatar: 15268

Post by thelonetiel »

I can see the Care Bear resemblance too. Something about the muzzle. I can't quite place what it is, but it just doesn't seem very Kerubi-ish to me, though maybe it matches up with the redraws, I don't know.

The only other thing that bothers me is the stripes. Aside from the size increase someone else noted (I think I'd like them a little more delicate, less bold and in your face), they seem painted on. They don't look like fur, they are shaded nicely, but their outlines are too solid and smooth. Real fur stripes seem to have variegation at the edges. I don't know if that's easily fixable without making them look scraggly, but it does bother me, especially as everything else looks so fluffy.

Looks like it'll be an excellent revamp though Rah, good job!
Jax
Human Avatar: 475124

Post by Jax »

Kerubi's are my favorite species on Subeta, and I've always adored the base colour's scheme, but disliked how completely out of place it looked with the other colours. My only major complaint on this one is the shading feels a touch too light, but I know how hard it is to use shades of grey when shading because it tends to be too light or much too dark.

I admit, I kind of miss the old cartoony head-wings but other then that, beautiful revamp Rah. You made this Kerubi fan proud XD
Alicorn
Human Avatar: 160932

Post by Alicorn »

Nice revamp! It keeps to the soul of the original while updating it's art. Very good job Rah! ^-^ The nitpicks I have have already been stated in better words then I could give (the paws and eye dots mostly). So I shall look forward to seeing what happens after the poll.
Sig/Av by: thelonetiel