Blacklight

For posting new and revamped pet colours on Subeta.
Tiki
Human Avatar: 8869

Re: Blacklight

Post by Tiki »

Are you serious? Re-read MBIFs post and stop freaking out because it is clouding your judgment.

This is my pet, Arrive:

I obviously edited the Hydrus base to make her appear Reborn. Her official color is Reborn. However, I could have her be EITHER Hydrus OR Reborn because I edited the image myself and it's pretty obvious I'm not stealing official art and slapping it on her page or lying about her color.

Let's pretend I had her colored Field, and I put the OFFICIAL Hydrus image in place of that. THAT is not kosher, it makes it look like I'm trying to make her seem Hydrus to avoid paying for the potion.
Pyrostatic

Post by Pyrostatic »

Tiki, Iggy -- Thanks, I get it now.
But Martel forbid I be upset or concerned.
thelonetiel
Human Avatar: 15268

Post by thelonetiel »

I really like these. I can see the complaints of them just being recolors but... Drawing new colors and poses is hard enough. Taking a redraw pet and modifying it is a much much more efficient use of the artist's time, especially if people are willing to buy it. This doesn't make spectrum less special at all to me, it's effectively taking a redraw and making it more useful to the population. I don't want two spectrum pets, but a spectrum and a blacklight would be rather cool.

Of course having them be complete redraws would be cooler. But it'd probably never happen - most current color fills aren't completed yet, unless I'm mistaken. It wouldn't be worth trying to make it similar and yet different to spectrum to justify the time needed for a complete redraw. To me, an official spectrum colorfill is better than not having another new color at all.

No ruffie yet, right? I might actually spend real money to buy one if I like the blacklight better than spectrum. :3

I can't quite tell, were the colors changed at all or just the white spaces turned black? I think I might've liked them better if the colors were tweaked a touch, made darker or more muted, but I suppose then it wouldn't be very blacklight-ish.

Priggle=adorable. The black is much better suited for it, I think, than the grey spines on the spectrum. Hee, I kinda want!
Marah
Human Avatar: 506145

Post by Marah »

I like it, I don't need one, but some of them are really pretty! the priggle, kerubi and tutani are my favourites. The tutani looks like an orca with paint splashed on.

I find the cash shop a strange place, the costume trunks are interesting, but most of the clothes in there are rather boring, except the new lines, which are uber expensive. And they do have some strange items (in my opinion). The most annoying ones are the ones that expire, like the ooh la la layers. Spending real money for virtual stuff, possibly. Spending real money on virtual stuff that disappears? No way.
I once did some of these questionaires and got some CSC but not enough to buy something interesting with. I could do another one, but they ask you to fill in a lot of personal information (I usually lie) and it takes a lot of time. The last part is expected, but everytime you think you are done, there is no "you are done" page, but they simply start a new set of questions on a different topic. If only they would tell me how long it actucally took to get some points I might try it more.

Okay I'm rambling now.
So: I like the pets, I like that some people will be very happy to have them and I hate the news page advertisements very very much.
Aqua

Post by Aqua »

I actually think It's a cool idea. :D I bought a potion kind of impulsively, though I'm not sure if I'll use it or not.

I agree that more standard colour option would be nice, though.. Say, a sky blue or turquoise or a proper red colour (sun tends to be orangey). A non shiny yellow might be nice as well. We already have two browns (cream, marsh) and two blacks (twilight, nuclear) available in non-redraws, don't think it would hurt to have some more.
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod
Human Avatar: 166931

Post by Joey »

So if we're open to recolours of colours... Autumn Glade anyone? I feel like that's a pretty popular overlay, and I would definitely pay for an official version.
Tiki
Human Avatar: 8869

Post by Tiki »

Joey- oh my god, you need to post that on the forums immediately. DO WANT.

Especially if the artists made MINOR art changes (drawing a few holes in leaves, removing a few petals on flowers) I would be all over it.
Red Mask Corgi

Post by Red Mask Corgi »

It's a pretty interesting idea; and if people have been asking for it for ages like it sounds, then I'm happy they got what they wanted :3 I'm wondering if the potion will eventually end up in the Token shop like the Spectrum potion is once Subeta is out of their money situation.
Oh man, if I didn't ready have my pets planned out I'd get one Spectrum and one Blacklight and make them basically Yin/Yang of each other. So much potential.

I like the idea of recolors of colors. I'd put my vote into a Water based color, maybe the opposite of Reborn?
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod
Human Avatar: 166931

Post by Joey »

Tiki wrote:Joey- oh my god, you need to post that on the forums immediately. DO WANT.

Especially if the artists made MINOR art changes (drawing a few holes in leaves, removing a few petals on flowers) I would be all over it.
Aaah, I'm far too shy on the subeta forums for that xD You can suggest it in my place though!
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

I like this coloring more than spectrum, in general, but none of the species I like are available yet.

I'm think that perhaps adding a battle bonus for all colors would be a nice incentive. A completely flat across the board bonus, I mean. Like have all pets do 3 icons of damage, and have the elements of damage be determined by color. That way, no one feels like they're losing if their reborn pet suddenly takes x% more damage from water attacks or something.
Kamil
Not the nice one
Human Avatar: 72834

Post by Kamil »

I like a couple of these way more than the spectrum version. I think the priggle has improved immensely; I much prefer this to the grey quills of spectrum. And I think the Archan is amazing. I kinda want one, in fact. Maybe not enough to pay what they're going for right now, but still. Does anyone know if they're zappable?

If the release of these pets, not to mention the ginormous cash shop sale, is an indication of low funds, why don't they release more pet slots? That, to me, seems like it would bring in the most cash, immediately and long-term. There are probably more than a few folks who'd immediately snag a plushie or two - especially since they're on sale - and there are probably quite a few more who'd snag a plushie or two in the weeks and months to come.

More pet slots seems to me to be a more reliable cash cow than a new color, fun as it is.

Back to the color: I love the new archan, anyu, and bovyne. I think the priggle, terracoon and the keeto are massively improved from the original spectrum. For the rest. eh. Not my thing.

But then again, not every pet has to be. =D
Image Image
MM and Twofold rock, yo.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

I am amused because I made a blacklight party HA last night. I'd put it up, but I'm having too much fun being pyramidheadgirl.

I think that this is a bit... not lazy, but unoriginal; I'd be fine with it except that it's a cash shop color. Especially because it'll be forcing some owners to buy this cash shop color if they want to keep using their overlays (I dunno how many, but I've seen a few of this color variety before, so). That part is lame. It feels like extortion. It also strikes me as strange bordering on cruel that a recolor of a preexisting color requires money. Angelic makes sense, as it's completely new art for every pet. Blacklight is not.

But you can buy CSC with sP, so that's not as bad. And the pets look really cool. And it's fairly hard to turn white pets into black ones and have them look good (or at least I never found a way to do it). I'm glad the pets exist; they're pretty. (The kora is my favorite!) I just don't like how the potion is sold.

ETA: Also, that is a rule change. The exact rule listed on subeta:
Subeta wrote:You are allowed to use a custom image representing your pet to overlay on the original pet image as long as the pet's name, true color, specie, and owner are still visible and not misrepresented in any way. Misrepresenting any details -- including stats -- is not allowed. In short, overlays are okay as long as textual details are not covered, and current, unaltered official art is not used.
Let's ignore how someone apparently thinks species is a plural word and the singular form is specie.... Well, no, let's take a moment to snicker. *pauses* Okay. There was a pet that won the spotlight; it had a slight hue-edit of the nightmare darkonite art, but the pet itself--its species and color were listed obviously--was an experiment pet. But in the news comments, when people asked if that was okay, other people got defensive and said it was, because it was an altered official art, so it was okay to leave it that way. An edited spectrum pet is altered official art. But that is somehow not okay now, when it was okay to the point of letting a pet win spotlight before. (Not to mention that that pet still doesn't have the owner's name showing--rules are there for decoration, eh?)
Image Image
Iggy

Post by Iggy »

From my understanding, turning a Spectrum pet grey, dark blue, dark green, pink with spirals...is fine. You just can't make it black anymore,m if it comes into the Blacklight color.

Sorta like you can't use the Dusk Montre official art to cover your Common Montre, you can't edit it to have colors really, really close to Dusk as your Common Montre overlay.

Honestly, this is why I hate this rule, there is so much case-by-case things again. Ugh. And, another reason why that potion shouldn't be in the CS to begin with.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

Yes, the problem is primarily that it's very subjective. One person thinks it's obviously altered "enough" and someone else might not. That leads to inconsistency with the staff applying rules differently to different people.
Image Image
Kamil
Not the nice one
Human Avatar: 72834

Post by Kamil »

I definitely want to agree on not liking this potion in the cash shop. ESPECIALLY since more than two or three people will now have to shell out for one if they want to keep their preexisting overlays.

That sucks. Full stop.
Image Image
MM and Twofold rock, yo.