Revamped Experiment #893 plus Scribble

For posting new and revamped pet colours on Subeta.
Fjorab_Teke
Human Avatar: 271433

Revamped Experiment #893 plus Scribble

Post by Fjorab_Teke »

new: Image ...... old: Image

Hah, wow, one of the pets that lured me to Subeta was the 893 (i JUST recently got a target zap for one i'd tried for over a year). It was among the last i thought needed to be touched - i certainly didn't expect it to. There might have been one or two things i would have changed, but i think they changed some things that i would have liked to see remain. There were some turquoise bits i liked that i wish they had kept, i preferred the sleeker build, and i liked the stylization of the old cobra head. The mane is very off (OK, it's an experiment, so now it comes out the side). The "art quality" is more detailed and realistic, and the "horse's" head shape is significantly better (though it swiped a Peophin shield), and the scales are cool. But i'm torn. I would like it if i hadn't liked the old one so much more.

Does anyone have the old scribble image for comparison?
lavender
Human Avatar: 168295

Re: Revamped Experiment #893 plus Scribble

Post by lavender »

Image (SubetaHQ hadn't updated it yet)
{neopets: _lavender} ImageImage Image {subeta: lavenderkennedy}
11th

Post by 11th »

Man, I really like this, and I always loved the old #893. It looks (ironic, yes, since it's an experiment) more natural now. It also looks better without the random blue bits. I want one.

One thing I would change, however, is the size of the legs. It's a very bulky looking critter, so its legs seem much too small and thin for its body.
Alicorn
Human Avatar: 160932

Post by Alicorn »

I really like this update. I like the old one but this one I'm loving much more. I just love the scales on the back end now and how it the fur merges into it. I also like the face a lot more. Makes me wish I had a character this would fit. :p
Sig/Av by: thelonetiel
Fjorab_Teke

Post by Fjorab_Teke »

Yep, if they put a big ol' mop of hair on the graveyard serpenth (or otherwise make it not to my liking) i'll probably ditch Subeta. I'm feeling much the way a lot of Neopets abandoners did. The pets i loved just keep getting changed, after i spent a lot of effort getting them to be the way they are were, and it makes me sad. I'm glad others like it, but...*SIGH!*
Elucifer

Post by Elucifer »

It definitely gained some weight. I think it's a bit too much, as I agree, I liked the sleekness of the old one. The legs do seem too thin to support this massive horse now. But regardless, it's very nice in detail.
mellaka
Human Avatar: 48736

Post by mellaka »

This used to be my favorite experiment until #886 came out, and I spent a lot of time/tokens zapping for one. But, I felt it was likely to get a redraw and got tired of waiting for one, so once again target zapped my pet xynth and made her a 886 instead.

I think the new version is nice, and the details are very well done, but it lost something in the conversion for me. So, it's nice, but not really what I was hoping for in a redraw, so I'm glad that I got tired of waiting for the redraw and changed my pet to something else.
ZomgethMew

Post by ZomgethMew »

I'm torn.. I like both of them :x I wouldn't get either one anyway, but I think both of them are pretty. I miss the blue parts, too :c.
Neopets: wocky_luvpet5566 | Subeta: omg_carrie
Kamil
Not the nice one
Human Avatar: 72834

Post by Kamil »

Holy mother of big fat body on teeny-tiny stick legs, batman. That looks like one of the horses I drew in elementary school, and no, I am neither kidding nor exaggerating. Sadly.

Do not want. Again.

Oh well. I do my best to avoid looking at the pet art these days. Nothing good ever comes of it.
Image Image
MM and Twofold rock, yo.
thelonetiel
Human Avatar: 15268

Post by thelonetiel »

The legs seem ridiculously short. I feel like if they were straightened out, they would be about as tall as the body, which, glancing through horse pics, doesn't seem like the right proportion.

The old was very slim, very small body on long thin legs. They kept the thin legs, but made them short, and the body stocky.

I liked the old one, it was stylized enough to look good even despite realism flaws. This one goes for realism, and does accomplish this better, but I think loses charm in the process.

Scribble is cute, a suitable update. Looks very angry though (like the original scribble), though the original pet has a kinda blank, mostly curious expression, and the new one has a challenging arrogance. So I don't quite get the emotion flow, but whatever.
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

Nope. I don't have one and didn't want one so it doesn't affect me, but I think the new head is too large for the body, and there's something about the appearance of the head I don't like, either. I agree: it seems Peophin-like to me... OLD-Peophin-like, not new-good-Peophin-like.

Also, it looks off-balance to me, like it's about to fall over. I realize that a running horse might instantaneously hold a pose like that in real life, but that doesn't mean it's aesthetically appealing frozen like that for all eternity, so to speak.

The old art certainly needed updating but it had a balance and a composure to it that I feel the new one lacks. Also, the new one looks happy to me, whereas the old one looked more serious, intimidating even.

In my mind comparing the old to the new art is an excellent example of the fact that it doesn't matter how wonderful the detailing is if the basic pose and proportions don't work -- but if the pose and proportions DO work, you can get away without the detail.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

Everything Wings said is what I think. So, read her post twice for me.
Image Image
Fjorab_Teke

Post by Fjorab_Teke »

The proportions are pretty much right if they based it on a Miniature Horse. But that was not the body style the original one had.
Jessica_G
Human Avatar: 449704

Post by Jessica_G »

it's nice, but I like the old one a lot too :o