New pet: Xotl

For posting new and revamped pet colours on Subeta.
Bacon

New pet: Xotl

Post by Bacon »

Common Xotl

The Other Colors

Dusk ~ Field ~ Arid ~ Cream ~ Dawn
Image Image Image Image Image
Gold ~ Lilac ~ Marsh ~ Twilight ~ Sun
Image Image Image Image Image
Nuclear ~ Scribble
Image Image

My Opinion
It looks to me like they're a cross between a tadpole and a full-grown frog. I like the idea, and I love the art, but for some reason the hind legs look strange to me and make me think part of the back is missing. I'm sure I'll get used to that though. I love their faces, and I can't way to see the redraw colors.
Griffin
Human Avatar: 156329

Re: Xotl Colors

Post by Griffin »

Ahh, I've wanted another reptile pet for so long and this one is very promising! I'd get one in a heartbeat if it had the body of a lizard rather than a frog, but perhaps future redraws will change my mind. I love how some color schemes look like real frogs--Field is modeled after one, right? Don't know much about froggies. I just love this guy's snakeish face.
Silverevilchao
Human Avatar: 155477

Post by Silverevilchao »

The only thing I don't like about these are the weird horn-ear things. I feel like they don't suit the pet at all.

Other than that, good stuff! Cute face, like the little toes, and I like the colors and the spots. In fact, my favorite color so far for this pet is Common, because it just looks so nice! I do like how all of the colors for this pet have nice variations on the feet and basically aren't two-to-three shades of the same color like other pets.

Also, props to making a pet that isn't furry, mammalian, or is an Illumis on crack.

(and Cyro, frogs are amphibians. xD *shot*)
Griffin
Human Avatar: 156329

Post by Griffin »

I know, but since it's a mix of things I just called it a reptile.

Oh yeah, the Field is a Red Eyed Tree Frog. It's nice that the artist was given some leeway and allowed to use some blue instead of sticking to the (usually bland) field palette.
Marah
Human Avatar: 506145

Post by Marah »

As always cream is pretty and I like Nuclear too.

But I agree that a lizard, or even better chameleon like tail would have been even greater. It would have nicely balanced out the rather large head.
Still, I love the expression on this new pets face.
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Re: New pet: Xotl

Post by Seerow »

I'm not sure if I like it lol. I don't dislike it, but I think it may be one of those pets I'm just indifferent too. I feel like I've seen it somewhere before and it's driving me crazy since I can't remember what it reminds me of!
Of these, I think Scribble is freaking adorable. I also really like the Common and Twilight colors. Some of the redraws should be interesting for these guys,
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Post by Jessi »

I'd consider this a reptile over an amphibian, haha. The nose reminds me of a python nose more than any frog or such that I've seen, and I love how it's a bunch of different reptiles put together.

I also love how it has BRIGHT poison dart frog and tree frog colors - they really, really pop!
Alicorn
Human Avatar: 160932

Post by Alicorn »

o.o .... I'm in love! I love frogs so this is an instant win for me. It's just so damn cute. And I like how it's a mixture of reptile/amphibians. I love all the colours it comes in, even the colours I never like. They are just so bright and well colour coded. Oh yes, so getting one in the future. I can't wait to see redraws for these cute little guys. XD
Sig/Av by: thelonetiel
lavender
Human Avatar: 168295

Post by lavender »

Scribble made me giggle, but otherwise I'm not impressed with this pet. The back legs are... strange. It's almost borderline experiment, imo.
{neopets: _lavender} ImageImage Image {subeta: lavenderkennedy}
Bonkers

Post by Bonkers »

...This pet is obviously based on an axolotl.

Are you guys fucking idiots or
Silverevilchao
Human Avatar: 155477

Post by Silverevilchao »

Bonkers wrote:...This pet is obviously based on an axolotl.

Ah, that would explain the name and the horn/ear things.

...but Axolotls don't leave their tadpole form. Which is why I didn't think about it before.

You wanna see something OBVIOUSLY based on an axolotl?

Cranberry
Human Avatar: 183848

Post by Cranberry »

This is a Rah pet, and she had this to say over on Subeta:
And just so you guys know, this pet is a total mix up of frog/tree frog/axolotl/gecko/snake/chameleon. Tried to do something completely original with it, the special recolours should be fun!
So it's not "obviously" any one thing.
bonecrivain
Incorrigible Bookworm
Human Avatar: 157826

Post by bonecrivain »

Mod hat on - Even if it did look exactly like an axolotl (and as Cranberry pointed out, the artist herself isn't categorizing it as solely that), the rudeness there was unnecessary, Bonkers.

Mod hat off - I think the scribble is hilarious and adorable, and field and twilight are particularly nice. I'm looking forward to the recolors!
Kali_Lupine
Human Avatar: 189836

Post by Kali_Lupine »

Froggie!!!! Yes! I love frogs so much, I am not sure how Ali and I started collecting frog stuff...but it ended up with two of our main characters adopting a frog named Steve, now all frogs are called Steves to me ^_^

Must force Ali to make a Steve pet!
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

...This pet is obviously based on an axolotl.

I'm guessing you were going to finish that statement with "am I?" and I'm sorry to say that yes, yes you are. It's okay though. We don't discriminate against those less fortunate in that regard.

As for the pet, I agree that it would look more balanced with a tail. The large snake-lipped head doesn't fit with the tiny nub bottom. I do like the colors and I'm glad it's not your typically cute catdogbunny creature. And I think the things on its head are either gills or frills, so it doesn't have wings either.