Spectrum/Blacklight Endeavor and (Revamped) Telenine

For posting new and revamped pet colours on Subeta.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Re: Spectrum/Blacklight Endeavor and (Revamped) Telenine

Post by AngharadTy »

You really gotta be stretching to see that as a penile sheath.

Also, on a mod note, four weeks is also really stretching the posts you can bump. Our rules suggest not bumping any topic older than two weeks without a good reason.
Image Image
Ontra

Post by Ontra »

AngharadTy wrote:You really gotta be stretching to see that as a penile sheath.
It's not stretching at all- there is absolutely no reason for that line to be there unless it's denoting either a sheath or loose skin that's been stapled up after liposuction.

Look at the line of the chest in the redline on the left. The separation of the chest and crotch is very obvious, and seems very intentional with the positioning of that single black line (it would be more believably an accident if it had been caused by the shading alone, but the fact that it's been linearted in is what makes it seem like an actual feature of the image).
The redline on the right is to show how the shape of the torso would look more natural if the stomach was a single curve, rather then the ribcage curving up and that extra bulge hanging below it.

As for the time limit, I apologise- two weeks seems like an awfully short window in which to comment on a topic, but that may be an issue as I do not play Subeta more frequently than once every three months.
Rah

Post by Rah »

You certainly like to assume a lot!

The telenine has recently been given to me, as Arbor had too many other commitments and was not able to draw them any more - they were being released at a rate of one every two years, whereas under my supervision I can get about 3-5 out per year. Now if your response to this is 'quality over quantity' I'm going to counter it with the idea that just because /you/ are not a fan of the way I draw these, doesn't mean that other people feel the same way as you. I've had a LOT of great feedback from these and my chibi telenine, so I'm confidant that the species is in the right hands. Yes, I do love Arbor's art, and would have loved her to continue drawing these, but we were faced with a lot of people wanting new telenines or telenine redraws and it's about finding a balance.

As to the line in the torso, it's supposed to be a chest indentation - which, is actually something that all telenines have.

ImageImageImage

When I'm drawing a new pet, my ultimate goal is to be consistent with the other most recent versions of that pet. The ribcage has been defined with a black line on two out of three of the most recent redraws, so I defined it with a black line. In reflection, I feel that it's probably a little farther back than it should be, I was likely trying to account for the angle and overcompensated. (I say likely because I don't remember what was going through my head at the time, mostly I was trying to make the pet /feel/ like a telenine, which is what most of our users are primarily concerned with)

I will keep an eye on the chest line in future, but I don't believe it shouldn't be there at all.
Ontra

Post by Ontra »

The three telenines you posted have the chest indentation, but in all three it doesn't actually affect the curve of the stomach.

The nightmare, glade and glacier telenines all have a single line denoting the line of the stomach, with the line of the chest indentation acting to add a little definition to the body. In fact, the line is barely defined at all in the most recent of Arbor's telenines; a faint touch of lineart with the shading implies depth, something that a more solid line fails to accomplish.

The line of the spectrum's stomach is disrupted by the chest indentation, and part of the stomach hangs down below that indentation- and that interruption followed by the dip of that second curve is what gives the impression of a penile sheath. If the spectrum had a single, uninterrupted line for its stomach curve as these other three telenines do, then there wouldn't be a problem.

I may not be a fan of yours, Rah, but I will not criticise without a valid reason to do so. That was, after all, half of the entire point of this website.
Cranberry
Human Avatar: 183848

Post by Cranberry »

All three of the other telenines are walking, jumping, or standing stretched out, so it makes sense that you wouldn't see any stomach hanging down; it's pulled tight (that lower part of the stomach is also hidden by the back leg/tail of the glade). The spectrum is supporting its weight on its back legs, and is in a semi-awkward position; I see it as bent over a little bit. It makes sense to me that the stomach would bulge a bit in this situation. I think it's odd that you're so insistent on proving this telenine has a penile sheath.
Ontra

Post by Ontra »

If the telenine naturally had a stomach that curved outwards, then a fold would make sense. Telenines have always had lean stomachs, though- and the line of the stomach has always followed a smooth curve, even in the hunched poses like bloodred and reborn.
ImageImageImageImage

I don't know what else to call such an obvious bulge; that was my first impression upon viewing the spectrum for the first time, and I am still quite grossed out by it.
Ierosbats

Post by Ierosbats »

I think if you're at the point where it's grossing you out, you need to step away from the keyboard and get some fresh air. It's a line. On a cartoon dog. The artist has explained to you why she put it there. You're the only person who seems bothered by it. There's nothing wrong with that, but for goodness' sake just drop it. You've made your point. This is a very strange argument to make with such a heavy hand.

And for the record, "I may not be a fan of yours, but..." is right up there with "No offense, but..." in terms of making whatever you're trying to hedge way more offensive. Whether you see a penile sheath or not, there's no need to be rude.
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

Penis penis penis penis penis penis! OMGAWD!

- Huggles, Moderator
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

Really, we are a very penis-oriented community around here. If there were a penis to be seen, we'd be seeing it.
Image Image
Fjorab_Teke
Human Avatar: 271433

Post by Fjorab_Teke »

I can kind-of see it, but i only notice if you point it out and make a deal of it. It's not the ribcage line that does it to me but rather the connecting angle and thickness of the black line between the rear-belly area and the hind left leg.

But even some female animals have something going on in that area to make a similar shape.

It doesn't bother me, and i wouldn't have noticed it on my own.