Chibi Harvester & Torrey Revamp

For posting new and revamped pet colours on Subeta.
Silverevilchao
Human Avatar: 155477

Chibi Harvester & Torrey Revamp

Post by Silverevilchao »

ImageImage

Torrey is cute, but I really, really wish they didn't just touch up the original Harvester. A legitimately adorable chibi Harvester (complete with scythe just a bit too big for it) would've been an instant pet slot for me.
thelonetiel
Human Avatar: 15268

Re: Chibi Harvester & Torrey Revamp

Post by thelonetiel »

I'm confused by the Torrey - Aren't Chibi pets traditionally in the Common color scheme? Which is brown for the Torrey. The Chibi Swampie is the only other exception I can find.

Both have cute art, though the Torrey doesn't seem too "chibi". The Harvester reminds me of Marvin the Martian for some reason, I think that's a good thing.
Cranberry
Human Avatar: 183848

Post by Cranberry »

The chibi hipottu is blue while the common is reddish-orange, the chibi kerubi is cream while the common is grey-blue, the chibi mallarchy is a yellow duckling while the common is green, the chibi popoko is cream while the common is brown, the chibi swampie (as you mentioned) is lilac while the common is green, the chibi serpenth is green while the common is brown, the chibi tutani is purplish while the common is bluish. :)

I love that torrey -- I made one immediately. I really like that chibis don't have to follow the common's color scheme, because chibis are not supposed to be a "baby" version of the common.
thelonetiel
Human Avatar: 15268

Post by thelonetiel »

You're right, there are more exceptions than I thought. I still don't understand it - it seems like a weird place to have so little consistency. Based on the majority of the color schemes, I did think that chibi was intended to be a cutified version of the common and am surprised that's not actually the intent.
Ierosbats

Post by Ierosbats »

I find it strange that the "official" explanation of chibi is, and has always been, that they definitely aren't supposed to be babies. I've seen several staff members get weirdly defensive about that point. Not really sure what the problem is. Is it just another attempt for the site to distance itself from Neopets? There's a huge demand for cutesy pets, so if people designate this as the baby colour, what's the big deal? You can only guide people's perception so much, and in this case it's really an uphill battle. Not to mention some of them clearly are meant to be younger versions of the common pet. The mallarchy is obviously a duckling, the popoko hasn't grown into its collar yet, several of them are sucking on their own paws etc.

(To be clear, I like chibi pets a lot. I own... four? Five? Several. I have no problem with the pets themselves, only with the inconsistent standards/label.)

I think the only things I don't like about the Torrey are things I don't like about that species in general. The wings are unnecessary and the emo hair makes me cringe. I'm a little sad the fur on its feet isn't pointier. I usually enjoy that feature quite a bit. The tail is a bit odd. The shading seems flat and I'm not sure I like where it attaches on the body. Other than that, I think it's a cute revamp. Hopefully owners are happy enough with the dramatic colour change.

The Harvester I'm less impressed with. It's very true to the original, which is good, but somehow it's not actually any better? I think the chunky hand is pretty creepy, but not in a good way. I agree the pet would be funnier if the scythe were much too big rather than too small.
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.