Possible Malticorn Revamp

For posting new and revamped pet colours on Subeta.
zebru
Human Avatar: 156237

Post by zebru »

I'm probably not the right person to speak as basic pose malticorn is (was?) the subeta pet I dislike the most - it made me cringe from day one on the site. That ridiculous mop of hair with a short horn, ack.
This, on the other hand though staying very close to original is the pet I'd potentially own. The face just works for me on some level (and it does get bonus points because it slightly reminds of that female dog tramp in Lady and the Tramp that sings "He's a Tramp"). I'm pleasantly surprised with it altogether.

I feel bad for those who were attached to the old version and dislike this - and according to news comments there's quite a number of those. It's tough when one of your favorite pets gets on the revamp plate.
Image Image
Snazzy reborn meepit by NyauNyau neopets * subeta
Elzaim

Post by Elzaim »

Not my cup 'o tea, I'm afraid.

I'm beginning to see another trend (personally)... I really, really dislike all of Exhibitted (Jag)'s pets (or at least the redraws she's been doing.)

Everyone has that way-to-thin lineart, and they ALL have goofy grins/expressions. (Seriously - look at all the montres she's done and the darkonites except nuclear - they all have that goofy grin![excepting glacier] I DETEST it.)

I agree with a lot of other people here with the fact that the lineart's too thin, the legs look way stiff, and the face is just so completely off. When I saw it I grimaced. The face does not look like the old maliticorn did - the muzzle is too long and slender, and the eyes are far bigger then before. I also enjoyed that the old one had large chunks of moppy hair - and this one has reall fine-looking tufts everywhere. I also don't like the 'cliche' way the hair parts into three on the new one's head. Not cool.

Now that I've come to the realization that she can't make any pet not look goofy beyond belief, I am in utter fear of a montre revamp. I do not want my the utterly beautiful/elegant montres to be overhauled to look like this. :(
Last edited by Elzaim on 11 Sep 2007 06:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rah

Post by Rah »

zebru wrote:The face just works for me on some level (and it does get bonus points because it slightly reminds of that female dog tramp in Lady and the Tramp that sings "He's a Tramp").
Peg! I love that movie, and that character. (totally off topic, but did you know Peg had so much more of a bit part in the beginning, but then they wrote her and her song in because they loved the actress and her sexy voice so much? Peggy Lee xD)
zebru
Human Avatar: 156237

Post by zebru »

Rah wrote:Peg! I love that movie, and that character. (totally off topic, but did you know Peg had so much more of a bit part in the beginning, but then they wrote her and her song in because they loved the actress and her sexy voice so much? Peggy Lee xD)
Oh, I didn't know that! I'm so glad they did - that's one awesome singing (hot) dog. Thanks for sharing that Rah :)
Last edited by zebru on 11 Sep 2007 07:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
Snazzy reborn meepit by NyauNyau neopets * subeta
shaelyn76
Human Avatar: 185309

Post by shaelyn76 »

I think the lack of elegance is what puts me off the most from this revamp. Anything that has parts of a unicorn should be elegant and mystical. I don't care if it was part unicorn and part cow pattie...it should still have elegance and mysticism about it and this just doesn't. The majority of the "negative" comments in the news refer to the lack of elegance or class as well. I really hope the artists take heed of the crits being given and do another revamp before making anything final.
Subeta Neopets
Click my dragons?Image
Monkeyguy

Post by Monkeyguy »

I voted for the old. I don't really care for it, but I just can't bring myself to like this new version. Everything about it just screams "WRONG" to me. I'm not saying the art is bad, it's just not the Malticorn.
Image Image Image
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

Actually, after seeing it below the Velocitor and Devonti revamps (did we know the Devonti was being revamped? I forget) I agree with jessi: the lineart is too thin.

(I also agree with Elzaim that if my Montres end up grinning goofily I may have to burn something down.)
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Post by Jessi »

I think the devonti was just revamped - there was never a poll for it.

Though it'll probably go on its own topic and I should be quiet, I think the face on the devonti looks ridiculous, and it and the malticorn are practically the same pet now, pose and expression wise. Not happy.
Mesmirez

Post by Mesmirez »

Frankly I can't see any personality/elegance differences in the old and new Malticorns other then the fact that the new one has, yanno, good art. The old one's lines and shading and crap was so awful, and the face was so misshapen, I always loathed them. I really don't see where you guys are coming from.

So I like the new one. Sue me.

The Devonti, now, that was just wrong. D: I loved the old one.
Thanks TheLoneTiel for the siggy^^

Sub | Neo | DA
Jessyta

Post by Jessyta »

I personally am thrilled to see the Malticorn is finally getting a redo. I have been bitter about the species ever since Sooki did the Chibi revamp...

I prefer the thin lineart to the thicker lines. As long as they are not shakey, and they are not on the new Malticorn, I think it gives a cleaner look to the art.
Elfwoman99

Post by Elfwoman99 »

The torso and legs are shaped very differently. If you look especially at the belly and flanks of the Reborn one you can see the shape, with rounded belly and short, slightly curved spine, with the flanks drawn up (a very ungulate and not dog-like body shape).

Now it is rectangular without drawn-up flanks and with a flat belly, and the legs are at very different angles from before - similar to the Terracoon (and still not dog-like ... compare to the canine body shape of the Reborn Demi, with rounded chest but narrow belly before the flanks).
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

I voted for the old one, but my hatred of them both is about equal. I suppose I just wanted to be contrary. The only malticorn that I like, as has been mentioned before, is reborn. It really is one of the best pets on the site. It's gorgeously stylized and reminds me of old school anime. The kind most people watched back in the day without realizing it was from Japan. I'd really hate to see it go.

I like thinner lines on complicated pets and thicker lines on simpler pets. I think it balances out overall and trying to stick with one for every pet compromises the quality. Extremes in either direction are bad unless we're talking about stuff like The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy or Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends.
Fuzzy
Human Avatar: 7837

Post by Fuzzy »

I liked the old malticorn. I voted for the the new one in hopes that the artist would listen to peoples suggestions. Most of my complaints with the new version have already been said. The legs look wrong, the tail is too thick, and the horn shouldn't be curved. It looks too much like just a dog. If the dog and unicorn elements were balanced, it would look much better. Also that black line on the chest should be removed or at least shortened. I'm just glad we got apoll, unlike the devonti.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

Fuzzy wrote:I liked the old malticorn. I voted for the the new one in hopes that the artist would listen to peoples suggestions.
That's exactly the reason I voted for the old malticorn. I don't have faith that the artist will change a pet when everyone's voting for the new one. ^_~
Image Image
iceburgundy

Post by iceburgundy »

Oh no!

I am in the minority when I say I loved the old Malticorns. They were cute, even if their pose wasn't that great. Something about this revamp has lost the sweetness of the original. I'm trying to figure out what it is, but I just can't. When I saw there was a Malticorn revamp, I was so excited, but... this has really let me down.