Torrey revamp poll

For posting new and revamped pet colours on Subeta.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Re: Torrey revamp poll

Post by AngharadTy »

Yours is much improved, I think, Goldenchaos. The head is still a bit odd. It's just so wide on the bottom--I think it needs more drastic plastic surgery, hehe! But I especially like what you did with the legs; I didn't expect it, but that change helps a lot.
Image Image
Farseek

Post by Farseek »

As usual, the new version is winning the polls :x I always liked torreys as they remind me of Tails from the Sonic games. My first pet was a field torrey who I sadly am going to have to elixir into something else if this goes through.
Not all who wander are lost.
Pillow

Post by Pillow »

... I'm voting for the old. I don't want to have a cute charming pet like the Torrey go through looking exactly like this.

No real reason to say anything more as it's all been said before and nothing is new. It is a tad bit scary and too skinny to be Torrey. They're supposed to be cute and chubby, not Mr. Furry-Slimdown. <.<

And what the heck is with the emo fringe? I know it had something similar to it on the original, but not so much that it was covering half of the eye >.>

Goldenchaos, I like your red line. Your left foot is a huge improvement as is the tail. I think the tail on the new one is far too bushy than it needs to be. ^^;

Oh yes, anyone have any idea as to why it has a thumb now? o.O

Edit: Looking through the news comments now; someone posted a version of the new Torrey without the creepy giant smile. I think I kind of like it, definitely makes the face look cuter ^^;

Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Post by Jessi »

To be honest, some of those news comments are making me sick, and remind me of why I usually prefer posting here to the news on Subeta. I quit looking at them a long time ago.
WisteriaLynx
Human Avatar: 319191

Post by WisteriaLynx »

I've been considering a torrey for one of my pet-ideas, but if this goes through as-is, that's definitely out. The face is really terrifying... it's like something out of a childhood nightmare about the stuffed toys you sleep hugging coming to life and killing you in your sleep. I mean, I love the fur-shading, and I love the little wings, and the poofy tail, and just how fuzzy it looks... but that face. D:

(Goldenchaos, I really like your redline! I'd definitely have to morph one of my pets for something like that.)
Iggy

Post by Iggy »

I love this revamp. Love it, it's one of my favorite Jag revamp.

The wings and eyes (OMG, A REVAMP WITH NOTGREENEYES!) are total love. :)

Again, I hated with serious hate all old Torreys. Including Reborn and Galactic.
Skidd

Post by Skidd »

I like your redline, Goldenchaos (yay, doggie-muzzle), though I still think that it'd be more appropriate to have toes on these guys. I mean, the scribble has 'em. Just having a furry log for a foot kind of irks me. It's weird. And the eyes are still hugenormous and creepy. And at a weird angle.

I like the style of the wings - but they're too far down.
The wings and eyes (OMG, A REVAMP WITH NOTGREENEYES!) are total love. :)
Torrey have green eyes to begin with. And there's a whole pile of pets with blue. Blue eyes are probably more common than green. And I like green a lot better, personally.

It's not the same Torrey. It's a demented squirrel of nightmare fodder. Speaking of which, if you look at it - those strange little upward flicks on those ears are almost devil-like. 0.o
Kari

Post by Kari »

The wings are REALLY distracting. That purple doesn't match at all with the brown fur, so they look almost separate from the rest of the body.
derp
lemonade

Post by lemonade »

I voted for the old one... I hope the artist takes into consideration what you guys said. The art itself is great, but some parts could use some fixing. To me it resembles the Popoko too much (or am I just seeing things?)

Also I'd like to add that the front right paw with the pink pads showing is absolutely adorable :)
Image Image
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

No, it's one of the many redundant species, but the popoko came second. It's just more obvious now with a more detailed revamp.
Jessi

Post by Jessi »

I got bored and counted up the eye color of all the common pets, skipping the experiments (and the Torrey... and the Antlephore and Ghostly cause... not sure if they count?). Actually, there are a few more blue pets than green, but not nearly as many as I thought there were - and there are far more yellow/gold eyes than anything else.

Yellow/Gold: 17
Blue: 14
Green: 11
Red: 9
Violet: 4
Brown: 2
Blue-green: 1

Now, granted, these are based off my own interpretation of some of the colors (especially blue-green, which is the Devonti, because I really see their eyes as teal, and brown - because I put the Serpenth under that category. Its eyes really do not look yellow to me, but a light brown). But it was interesting just the same. My own personal opinion here is I like the green eyes better, but I'm just fond of green eyes, heh.

If anyone wants to see the breakdown of this, let me know e_e Didn't want to stray too far off topic here.
Sunwolf
Human Avatar: 36334

Post by Sunwolf »

Oh, GOD. It's - someone's chibi furry. How did this thing get approved? The eye is bigger than its arm 0_o The tail is HUGE. Why? It's not a squirrel, is it? I wish that the Torrey took after a fox more - short limbs, elegant head - maybe split the huge tail into two tails, as to please the kitsune-lovers? If the Torrey looked more like a fox, it would instantly become very popular, and less something to be forgotten like the Terracoon. Please change the eyes back to green! Green eyes are lovey! And, why does every fucking pet have to have an emo fringe?!? If you can't give a pet personality without adding an emo fringe, then you fail as an artist.

And of course if anyone dares to voice their dislike, they are shouted down by the buttkissers going "If you don't like it, make your own site! Staff are God!" Sure some people are being rather rude, but they are the users - you can't expect them to give you critiques in a professional way.
My computer is connected to the internet and the internet contains everything in the whole wide world ever. I don't know about you but I sometimes find everything in the whole wide world ever a bit distracting.
Jessi

Post by Jessi »

Sunwolf, I disagree. You CAN expect users to give critiques in a professional way, or at least a POLITE way. Saying things like its 'fucking horrible' or having to drop the f-bomb at all in a critique automatically take any comment that COULD be professional or helpful and turn it completely around.

There is a HUGE difference between saying you don't like a pet and being blatantly rude about it. Maybe because I'm married to an artist (and not just a Subeta artist, but an artist in general), so I deal with this through her personally, I don't know. But I think it's a total cop-out to post that users can't possibly be polite or professional. They can be both by just ACTING like a grown up - not having to swear in every comment or saying people 'fail as an artist'.

(And no, I'm not just talking about your comment; half the people on Subeta posted stuff like that. But it would not be that hard to change comments like that to sound polite rather than flat out rude.)
Rah

Post by Rah »

Sunwolf wrote:And, why does every fucking pet have to have an emo fringe?!? If you can't give a pet personality without adding an emo fringe, then you fail as an artist.
Feli = no fringe
Irion = no fringe
Velosotor = no fringe
Tutani = no fringe

I think Jag has proven time and time again that she has the most amazing skill as an artist. Her art on subeta has always been what /defines/ subeta art for me. I've always aspired to draw even half as good as Jag. I feel that a lot of people like me because I swallow my feelings and make so many changes that the users want, and Jag doesn't do this as much. To be honest, she very rarely HAS to, in my opinion. I am constantly in awe of her artwork, the personality she puts into her pets, her friendly and caring attitude towards drawing, and god damn it, I can't even tell you how amazing this girl is. If you could only /see/ how amazing she is with the other artists, helping us with our drawings, not just giving a redline and saying 'you did this wrong' - but explaining where we've gone wrong, and what she's done to fix it, and giving us lessons on the basic concepts of art. She isn't just an artist, she's a mentor to us all, and I don't think subeta would be what it is without her.

To even dare insinuate that because she's drawn a /fringe/ on the torrey (a fringe that the original torrey had, no less - not something she's even added for the hell of it) that she FAILS as an ARTIST just makes me sick to hear. Jag does NOT fail. Jag is a fucking hero, to me.

There is absolutely no need for that kind of comment, and I don't think anyone should have to sit back and tolerate it.
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Post by Seerow »

I know I'm not always polite in my comments about revamps, but I do try not to just say "Fuck this sucks. KILLZ ITZ!". It's sometimes hard to gauge just what the staff take as extremely rude though, especially when some of the same people are constantly telling users on the forums to grow up and stop getting "butthurt" (I hate that phrase so much) over harsh comments. I think everyone, staff and users, need to take a breather.

It might also help if users/staff stop quoting and responding directly to the harsh comments. It just adds fuel to the fire and makes me think that actual critique isn't being looked at or given more then a glance since nothing is ever said about it.

I personally think it would also help a little if they provided more option to vote on. Just having the old and new doesn't work out so well. I think the Torrey needs a revamp, but don't like this version. So I'm gonna vote old. If there was an option for "Update, but tweaked more", or just more then one new version to choose from, I think it would make people happier.
And it would help with all the comments about how people beg for a species revamp, but vote for the old version.

/off topicness
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.