Torrey revamp poll

For posting new and revamped pet colours on Subeta.
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Torrey revamp poll

Post by Seerow »

ImageImage

I've always had a soft spot for Torreys. I like their concept though I agree that the art is rather dated. That said, this new one creeps me the hell out.

The Torrey has chubby little stumpy legs and arms, but this new on is all scrawny. The head is a completely different shape, and not for the better. I will say I really like the new wings, and the fur texture is amazing. I just hope there's quite a few changes made to this before its released, and not just pushed through without any like the Clawsion.
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Re: Torrey revamp poll

Post by AngharadTy »

I can barely even look at it. It's creepy in the bad way.

I don't like the eye style--though of course it's similar to the original... I think it could be improved upon. I don't see the reason for darkening the wings. I don't even see a reason for changing the eye color. I suppose the wings are just meant to be the accent color in other potion colors, but they're too dark for the level of detail on them. But that's minor compared to the rest of my issues....

The feet are still weirdly cartoony--again, not too much to work with from the original, but this is not really a great compromise. They're very unreal. Makes me think of Slappy from Animaniacs, and while I love her, that's not Subeta's style.

The face is so weird. The cheeks are so wide--I dunno, is that supposed to just be extra fluff? Because it looks like there's bone structure under there. Like its head is a trapezoid that's wider at the base. This is a major problem for me.

And the neck! It's so thin! That giant head on that skinny neck! It's impossible and scary. I want to feed it peas just to see if it would choke and die. But maybe I just want to kill it.

I've never be super fond of the old Torrey, but this revamp makes me wince and want to avoid the news page for a while.
Image Image
Skidd

Post by Skidd »

I'm not fond of this, really. If it goes through, I hope nobody comes within ten feet of my Galactic Torrey.

I've always thought of the Torrey as a fox - not a squirrel. This falls far more twoards the latter, I think. And while I love the Popoko, we don't need another.

What gets me is the snout - it's much too snipey and rat-like for me. It's just lacking that foxy, soft look of one like the Galactic Torrey.

That's what I want in all the torrey - a nice wide, dog-like muzzle.

AND TOES. I want toes. The feet totally turn me off as they are now. And the wings on the revamp are too low - don't fit with the scapula - look like the base of the wings is in the middle of the ribcage - not the shoulder blades.

While it's cute, it's not my Torrey.
bonecrivain
Incorrigible Bookworm
Human Avatar: 157826

Post by bonecrivain »

To be honest, I don't actually like either version, so it's difficult to decide how to vote. The revamp needs a lot of adjustment, though. The neck is incredibly tiny--all I can think when I look at it is that the weight of the eyes and hair alone will snap the neck any second. The proportions are all pretty odd--it looks like it's wearing huge furry mittens, and the shading on the face makes it look flat and very cartoonish. Like Ty said, the facial shape is disconcerting and doesn't make sense.

I like the wings, but not necessarily for the Torrey...I just think they're pretty, and they'd go nicely (a) on another sort of pet or (b) on their own, in my pretties gallery. At first, I thought I hated the furry, shapeless feet, but if I look at JUST the feet, they're actually rather cute. But the rest of the pet, despite its incredibly cartoony appearance, doesn't match. It's just so...strange looking. It looks like a mutated adolescent squirrel that was recently stung in the head and hands by a few swarms of hornets.
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

I don't like it. The fur (as Seerow said) is lovely, but the muzzle is way too small, and I agree about the tiny neck.

But most of all it's just the attitude I don't like. It's got this sort of "I'm a teenage furry from a low-budget cartoon" look about it. I'm not sure what it is that does it -- the stance, the eyes? -- but when I saw it on the news, I thought, "What the heck? That a cartoon character, not something from Subeta."
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Post by Jessi »

I am TERRIFIED of that thing. It doesn't even look remotely like a Subeta pet, and it's just.. terrifying looking. The kind of thing that gives me nightmares.

Why can't they revamp it to look like the Galactic one, like posted above? Or the reborn one, which has always been lovely?

There is nothing wrong with that pet art, IMHO. It's beautifully shaded and just a good-looking pet - in fact, I've considered getting one several times. If the actual Torrey looked like that, I know I'd be very, very fond of them.

The eyes, the face - everything about this is just visually terrifying, and just so unSubeta. I really hope a lot of work goes into this before being released. Considering how many times they've tried to fix the Hikei, I can only hope.
Alicorn
Human Avatar: 160932

Post by Alicorn »

The art is definitely a huge improvement from the old. But the muzzle is to small, it should be wider like in the galactic version. I also agree with the neck being too thin. How the hell can it support that head with that neck. o.O And on second glance, the head looks to big for the whole body. I also find the feet weird looking. Probably because of positioning. In all, it's about time it gets a face lift, it really needed it. But it's not going to make me like the pet.
Sig/Av by: thelonetiel
TCStarwind
Human Avatar: 99635

Post by TCStarwind »

I don't like anything about this. Yes, the art is an improvement. Yes, the torrey needs a revamp. But this is just so damn scary! D: I wouldn't be so opposed to this if it weren't for the face. That face. Like it's staring at you while you sleep. O_O It looks like evil playing innocent. The original has animal-like digi-grade legs, the new one has Dr. Suess feet. :/ Which is an odd change to say the least. The wings look like they're coming out of the arms, not the back (like Renamon).

Keep the tail, maybe the arms. Redo the rest.
Sarivonne

Post by Sarivonne »

If I recall correctly, Jag did galatic and reborn, I think she did the revamp too. To be honest, I wish she had stuck to the style she did in the redraws. Those are lovely. Something about this makes me think more of an furry than a pet. Like someone's cosplaying the torrey, as it's now suddenly more human-like. Like any moment someone will pop out like it's a costume.

The art is beautiful, as Jag's work is always lovely, but this just doesn't work for me. I was really looking forward to this revamp too, as I love the design of the torrey but I want it 'vamped
Zekumi

Post by Zekumi »

*PLEASE* Subeta: Take the Galactic Torrey, flip it into a neutral/sitting position, color it brown, and slap a Common sticker on it.
Please.

This new proposition is like a Nickelodeon attempt at an anthropomorphic anime character or something. You know, like when people don't really know how to draw anime but they try it anyway because everyone else is doing it?
Yeah. It kinda looks like that.

Though I do love the tail. So pretty.
And I'll agree with Seerow on the wings. Very cute and delicate. I really like them.
The rest I'm just 'uhg' about.
Mort

Post by Mort »

I've never taken much thought to torrey in general, but this is not how I'd have liked their revamp to go. D| THIS is nightmare fuel; THIS is something I'd adblock in an instant.
The neck is far too skinny, as are the upper arms. The legs and feet look off, too, and I really don't like how the feet look like uber-fuzzy shoes of some fursuiter. The head, the eyes, the muzzle, all need to be redone to look less... creepy. I like the suggestions posted above.

And now that people mention it, the wings look oddly placed as well. I don't mind the color so much, if they were only drawn so that it looks like they connect at the back.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the wing to our right is connected to its arm.
Image Image
Goldenchaos

Post by Goldenchaos »

Well, thats a change..I redlined it a bit..

Basing its body both off the reborn and the galactic. Lowered its body , so its a bit chubbier and not so longated, as well as rose the wings and made the muzzle wider.
Image Image
ImageImage
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

The head is gigantic, the eyes even more so. The muzzle is teeny tiny and the color changes are random. I also agree that the body is scrawny. The feet are quite Seussian, but completely inappropriate. The shading is lovely though. I'm also torn on the vote, but I'll vote old just for the hell of it.

Please excuse the lack of good...pretty...smart words? I am sleepy.

Eyes! It's a thing I just remembered about my favorite petpets on Neopets and pets elswhere. They have animal eyes instead of human, albeit chibi scary little girl, eyes. That's always bothered me.
Omg Its Demi

Post by Omg Its Demi »

The wings and tail are adorable, but the rest. Not so much, as already stated...it is made out of pure nightmare fuel! D=
I agree Skidd and all the others that have said, maybe make the revamp somewhat like the galactic? *Hugs her galactic Torrey*
I just hope that if it goes through the artist will re-think it all, I mean Jag is a good artist!
And haa....The new Torrey has an emo fringe...
Edit: And I also voted for old.
Last edited by Omg Its Demi on 18 Jan 2009 02:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.