Some testing please

Any problems or suggestions regarding the forums or scripts, post them here.
Joeno

Some testing please

Post by Joeno »

Dearest ladies and gentlemen,

In my quest to rebuild the original NC scripts I have just implemented another feature - comparisons. And not to be outdone by the original implementation, I've added another option as well - rather than just being able to compare two pets, it is now possible to compare an arbitrary number of pets.

However, I'm sure that there's at least one bug in there (that's one of the laws of programming), so please, could people try to break things for me, and in general find out whether it's usable and so on. After all, who needs specific testers when you've got a whole forum to do it for you? ;)

You'll need this URL, one comparisons box will show up by default, more can be added as long as you don't store the results in a session cookie - my handling of those is currently slightly broken.
Illuen

Post by Illuen »

I can't get it to show more than two boxes, no matter what I try. I am using Firefox, and it won't show more than two in Opera as well. Also, the second grouping is not limited by colour. For example, you can compare the cloud Gnorbu and the Darigan one, even though there is no darigan.
No spoony bard could spin a sweeter tale.
daisybell

Post by daisybell »

I worked out how to change the number of boxes (here) but the actual process of comparing pets isn't that easy- if you wanted to compare a desert, purple and blue pteri and then changed your mind, and wanted yellow instead of blue, you'd have to do all of them again. It works OK for me, though I haven't tried more than four yet.
Neopets wishlists: here
Joeno

Post by Joeno »

For the comparison dropdownbox - have you gone to the options editor and set it in a day or longterm cookie? Does it give an error message when you submit the options dialog or does it say the cookies are saved?

The boxes showing all colours is currently somewhat intentional, for when you want to compare, say, the Mutant Scorchio with the Darigan Zafara. I suppose I could restrict it, but it also depends on what would be preferable - more options versus some limitations (but even then both boxes could be changed to form a combination that doesn't exist, such as, with the Cloud Gnorbu, a Baby Krawk)

Saving the data you selected in the comparison dropdownboxes should actually work - it should show the new one - but I guess the script is being brain dead. It's being worked on...

Edit: Fixing this last paragraph included the restrictions I had placed on the visible pets as well. I knew there was a reason for the current behaviour. ;) Putting on non-existing overrides this as well.
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

I was having similar problems, but if you check the "show non-existing colors" button they'll all be available via dropdown. I'm also not having problems with my cookie unless I'm not understanding what it's not supposed to do. I just can't choose any comparisons from the front page because only empty boxes show up. Nice work though. I'm now able to become even more undecided on what pets to get now that I can sit and <a href="http://nc.empireirc.net/nc/viewclrs.php ... e">compare all five</a>
Joeno

Post by Joeno »

The front page is because the script decided to give me the finger and not do what I want it to.

(Actually, it's because on the front page, no basic pet and colour is set, so the script gets a bit confused on what it should show. It's been told to just show everything now)
Madge

Post by Madge »

Well, I can get it to compare all poses of different pets, but I can't get it to compare, say, just the happy or circle pose on its own. Which is a little restrictive if you just want to compare the circle pose of say 8 different pets before looking at some more specific poses.

Apart from that it seems to work okay though.
Joeno

Post by Joeno »

Single poses was skipped over because I thought it would be too difficult to do at the start. Looking at it now, it wouldn't be. It'll be working when I'm done pasting the code.

Edit: It has been done!