Neocolours directory for Subeta Pets

Any problems or suggestions regarding the forums or scripts, post them here.

I would like this to be linked:

Poll ended at 25 Oct 2006 10:26 pm

on the front page of the Neocolours mainsite
87%
in a stickied thread here
13%
someplace else (please specify)
No votes

Total votes: 55

Huggles
Feral Koala

Neocolours directory for Subeta Pets

Post by Huggles »

Joeno wrote:Last, as mentioned in the Other Games forum, a Subeta version of Neocolours has been uploaded. This actually was easier than I thought it would be - taking at most two hours of coding, maybe three. Two questions. In what way would people prefer we'd treat this? Maintenance, like for the main NC site, is minimal. Although I may want to add a few more features to it as well, the basics work well and do so without my intervention, and so doesn't take up much more than a few server cycles - far less than our normal pages. But further, do we want to treat it as some sort of 'subsite', with a link from the main page or similar, or as a separate site with similar URL, but one that doesn't get linked from or imposes on the main site? Meh, I don't have a clear idea about it yet, but thoughts are welcome.
Discuss anything and everything about it here. Oh, and I'm leaving this poll open for 2 weeks. I think that should be enough time for anyone who cares.
Last edited by Huggles on 02 Nov 2006 11:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Trick
Mad Cavy Lady

Post by Trick »

I think it makes sense to have it on the front page so it's easy to find and to find out about. And if you aren't interested you don't have to click, it definitely doesn't need to be a big glittery button to press or anything like that.

Perhaps someone like Tiel could maintain it (if they wanted to) and any other possible future features? That's if we haven't all packed it in by xmas of course ^_~
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

I'd like it on the front page because even if most of us do forget about it come Halloween, I think the plot and new spooky pets could pull most of us in before the big X-Mas, it'll still be there to entice Subeta players into joining Neocolours.
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

I think it should be a link off the main page. It can be small and not flashy, it causes no problems for people who aren't interested, and there's no point in having it if no one can find it. :-)

Of course, if we've all stopped playing by Christmas we can reconsider. :-)
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

I would quite like to hear from the couple people who've voted to have it on a sticky here as opposed to the main page. Perhaps you're visualizing it being large and dominating, when it will actually be more small and unassuming?
Image Image
EofS

Post by EofS »

Just a note: might it not be worth having this in Site Suggestions? I have no doubt that a large number of forum members just ignore this board completely - I know I only come in if I'm bored and the internet has run out of enticements. Particularly with how busy other threads on here har, the chances aren't even that great that this will show as the latest post.

Of course, that raises the issue of who gets to decide on this - the entire community, or just the subeta-playing community.

Just my €0,02
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen

Post by AngharadTy »

That's a good point, E; I moved it to Site Suggestions, and left the shadow of the topic in the other forum, so hopefully that will entice all sorts of people to read this. I suspect part of the reason for having it in the Games section is because now we have soooo many announcements here. We are just very announcy.
Image Image
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Post by Jessi »

I think having it on the main page would make sense ,since like everyone else said, it doesn't have to be a big ol' flashy SUBETA HERE thing. Also, like Huggles said ,it opens up opportunity for Subeta users to find us and join the forums. The Neocolours setup for Subeta is so much easier to navigate than ANY other Subeta site I've been to (i have to say it, I hated having to use SubetaDB with a passion", so I think it has potential to catch on fast. People should be able to find it easily :3
Saturn

Post by Saturn »

I say just put a link to it on the front page. It just seems kind of weird to have a useful, and potentially popular section of the site linked to ONLY on the forums and nowhere else.

It could just be a small text link at the bottom or near the top with the other links to the forums/Turmy alerts/etc.
Keith

Post by Keith »

I just had someone show this to me over AIM, and I was really excited.

I was just told that neocolours is still a pretty popular site (I haven't used it for years - but I haven't been on neopets, either) so I'm really excited that there is even a dedicated subeta section on it.

Since the setup is a lot more simpler than the subetaDB setup, I'll be sure to recommend it to anyone who asks around subeta, since I get that question (where can I see all the pet colors!) a lot.

:oops:
EofS

Post by EofS »

The other thing that could potentially influence this is, one presumes, the potential bandwidth (and database queries?) it will tax. If it's just being used by the 'small' number of Subeta players here, I don't imagine the added strain will be that great. But if it becomes known by the greater Subeta community... The interface is more sophisticated than subetadb or the geocities site, I can't imagine people wouldn't be interested in the site.

(I must admit I'm also a bit hesitant because most people here have still not played for a month right? Honeymoon period and all that...)
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen

Post by AngharadTy »

EofS wrote:(I must admit I'm also a bit hesitant because most people here have still not played for a month right? Honeymoon period and all that...)
I know my own threshold for addiction, and subeta will be in my favorites and on my daily websites list for quite some time to come. I love it more than I loved Auto Assault, which lasted months and really only ended because I had no one left to play with.

And if I'm playing, I'm going to be dragging some of my friends along with me, by sheer force of will. ^_~

I'm not trying to let personal experience dictate this; I just mean that I think we stay with neopets mainly because of the community here, and having a community here in subeta as well will encourage us to keep going.

And there's nothing saying we couldn't remove the link if interest dies completely.

Oh, also, about the strain--while I don't know numbers, there are far fewer subeta players than neopets players, so the influx can't be all that major. But someone with bandwidth statistics should drop by.
Image Image
zebru
Human Avatar: 156237

Post by zebru »

Keith wrote:I just had someone show this to me over AIM, and I was really excited.
The Keith? :) Welcome man!
Image Image
Snazzy reborn meepit by NyauNyau neopets * subeta
Scimthary

Post by Scimthary »

My opinion is that a link on the first page would be enought and it's probably the easiest thing to do, although I know nothing about any kind of programing, etc... @___@
Kamil
Not the nice one
Human Avatar: 72834

Post by Kamil »

EofS wrote:The other thing that could potentially influence this is, one presumes, the potential bandwidth (and database queries?) it will tax. If it's just being used by the 'small' number of Subeta players here, I don't imagine the added strain will be that great. But if it becomes known by the greater Subeta community... The interface is more sophisticated than subetadb or the geocities site, I can't imagine people wouldn't be interested in the site.

(I must admit I'm also a bit hesitant because most people here have still not played for a month right? Honeymoon period and all that...)
Like Ty, I know my addictions quite well, and I'm as addicted to this as I ever was to Neopets - and probably a bit more, since the art is better and there seems to be no danger of my being frozen out of the clear blue sky for doing absolutely nothing wrong whatsoever (me? still bitter? you betcha).

And having the community excited and playing along only makes it that much better.

So far as the extra bandwidth goes - unless something truly dramatic happens - we're good. =D

And, Keith, it's nice of you to stop by. Welcome, and please, come back often.
Image Image
MM and Twofold rock, yo.