Moderators!

Any problems or suggestions regarding the forums or scripts, post them here.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

It gets spammy. We frown upon it. In this particular case, checkers had 6 threads, all recent, and created a seventh (it's worth mentioning, too, that the seventh was asking for matches that had already been asked for in the other threads). He was asked not to make more threads. He made a new thread and told us to "get off his back."

We have a problem with that.

You say, what's wrong with creating a few threads? We say, what's wrong with making one thread? You <i>can</i> edit your own posts, even the title. It's more organized and less clutter when it's in just one thread.

We notice when people are making a lot of threads. Sometimes we think, "If that person makes yet another thread, we're going to have to talk to them." And sometimes that person stops making threads, and it dies down. But it would be better if people didn't create so many threads in the first place.
Image Image
adi_gallia

Post by adi_gallia »

I understand, can you edit polls? Also if you edit an existing post surely the replies stay the same?

I think it would be kinda confusing and what harm does clutter do? It's making the boards more active.
lika_101

Post by lika_101 »

adi_gallia wrote:
lika_101 wrote:Yeah guys... Just wondering. What's wrong with asking for several matches and creating a few threads? I've personally created a few in the past and if I'm not mistaken, all were created in the same day or even the day after. Is this against the rules? Because I don't see what's wrong with it :oops:
that's what i always wondered I mean it's hardly flooding the boards and I'm sure if we put four or more different pets into one post we'd also get moaned at for having a post asking too much.
That I can actually understand. When people ask me for a match, I put my heart into it and spend over an hour going through ALL the petpets, saving on the comp the "matching" ones, opening a graphic program, re-editing them, finding matches and creating a final result of the ones I liked. I don't just pick random ones, I really set my mind into it, sometimes even zoom in to compare the colours set to see if they're really "perfect matching". When people ask for more than 2-3 pets, I usually give up and either do it bad or don't do it at all. I won't spend 3 hours sitting on the comp and matching petpets.

Creating a few threads, though it may cause people to overlook older threads, can be actually quite helpful. Eventually ALL threads are useful, as new comers can simply search up the forum and use them instead of creating new threads.
AngharadTy wrote:It gets spammy. We frown upon it. In this particular case, checkers had 6 threads, all recent, and created a seventh (it's worth mentioning, too, that the seventh was asking for matches that had already been asked for in the other threads). He was asked not to make more threads. He made a new thread and told us to "get off his back."

We have a problem with that.

You say, what's wrong with creating a few threads? We say, what's wrong with making one thread? You <i>can</i> edit your own posts, even the title. It's more organized and less clutter when it's in just one thread.

We notice when people are making a lot of threads. Sometimes we think, "If that person makes yet another thread, we're going to have to talk to them." And sometimes that person stops making threads, and it dies down. But it would be better if people didn't create so many threads in the first place.
But why editing them in the first place? When I came to this forum, I searched up ALL my matches before creating a new thread. If people edited the threads all the time, it would cause people spend time re-matching new requests that were matched earlier.
Last edited by lika_101 on 17 Dec 2006 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adi_gallia

Post by adi_gallia »

lika_101 wrote:Creating a few threads, though it may cause people to overlook older threads, can be actually quite helpful. Eventually ALL threads are useful, as new comers can simply search up the forum and use them instead of creating new threads.
But the old threads don't matter, because if you bump one thats two weeks old, you get told off.
lika_101

Post by lika_101 »

adi_gallia wrote:
lika_101 wrote:Creating a few threads, though it may cause people to overlook older threads, can be actually quite helpful. Eventually ALL threads are useful, as new comers can simply search up the forum and use them instead of creating new threads.
But the old threads don't matter, because if you bump one thats two weeks old, you get told off.
There is no need to bump them. For example - I own a baby yurble. When I wanted to get a new petpet for it, I just searched to see if someone already matched it. And it indeed was already matched. I overlooked the matches, picked the one I liked best and got it. There was no need to re-post there.
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod
Human Avatar: 166931

Post by Joey »

I don't like clutter. Most people here don't like clutter. We don't care if clutter makes the board more active, as we don't want to be the most active board anyway.

I find it very rude that you come in here and refuse to conform to our rules and expect us to change them for you.

I can be a mean mod too.
adi_gallia

Post by adi_gallia »

lika_101 wrote:
adi_gallia wrote:
There is no need to bump them. For example - I own a baby yurble. When I wanted to get a new petpet for it, I just searched to see if someone already matched it. And it indeed was already matched. I overlooked the matches, picked the one I liked best and got it. There was no need to re-post there.
No, I was referring to when you said they get overlooked. Surely we can do what you say and search through them? That means it doesn't matter if the older posts get overlooked because no one needs to answer them.
lika_101

Post by lika_101 »

Guys seriously, I'm not trying to argue or flame the argument. I honestly want to know what is the problem. I respect your hard work :D
Monkeyguy

Post by Monkeyguy »

lika_101 wrote: But why editing them in the first place? When I came to this forum, I searched up ALL my matches before creating a new thread. If people edited the threads all the time, it would cause people spend time re-matching new requests that were matched earlier.
We don't mean edit the post to something completely different.

Say for example you made a post looking for a Pirate Kougra match. The next day you want a match for your Faerie Lenny. Instead of making a new post, edit the Pirate Kougra post asking for help with the Lenny as well.

We aren't asking you to edit the Pirate Kougra post into a post say about a new petpet announced in the news. In that case you could create a new post.
Image Image Image
daisybell

Post by daisybell »

The trouble is that topics which get bumped often have nothing useful to add, such as "wow that's a fantastic match" or "I got this petpet yay ^^ !!1!1!". If there really is something useful to say (and with petpet matching this is rarely, if ever the case but might be true for a pet colour which has had once pose significantly altered, for example) then it's better to make a new topic than bump a very old one.

If you post a lot of topics it can end up looking like you either want attention or to increase your post count (which doesn't matter here because it's not shown), or that you're incredibly indecisive. It is a rare situation to be in, to require four or five matches at once- at least, it seems like a rare sort of situation to me, and it therefore shouldn't be necessary to have that many topics around.
Neopets wishlists: here
lika_101

Post by lika_101 »

Monkeyguy wrote:
lika_101 wrote: But why editing them in the first place? When I came to this forum, I searched up ALL my matches before creating a new thread. If people edited the threads all the time, it would cause people spend time re-matching new requests that were matched earlier.
We don't mean edit the post to something completely different.

Say for example you made a post looking for a Pirate Kougra match. The next day you want a match for your Faerie Lenny. Instead of making a new post, edit the Pirate Kougra post asking for help with the Lenny as well.

We aren't asking you to edit the Pirate Kougra post into a post say about a new petpet announced in the news. In that case you could create a new post.
Thank you, that's all I needed to know :D
I thought you meant actually just deleting everything and posting something completely different.

How long until it's better to create a new thread than bumping an older one?
daisybell wrote:If you post a lot of topics it can end up looking like you either want attention or to increase your post count (which doesn't matter here because it's not shown), or that you're incredibly indecisive. It is a rare situation to be in, to require four or five matches at once- at least, it seems like a rare sort of situation to me, and it therefore shouldn't be necessary to have that many topics around.
Not exactly :D If you're a new user, you can actually have a lot of matches. When I first joined, I "floaded" the forum with matches (Well, 3 I think :D), and it was simply because I was so happy that I found such a good matching site and my petpets were crappy :P
dandelions
Lily Was Here

Post by dandelions »

If it's at the point where you'd get frowned upon for bumping an old topic, at two weeks old, then feel free to create a new one :) Our problem with checkers was that he'd posted seven topics in two weeks, which is one every two days at best.
Cheese

Post by Cheese »

It should probably be noted that bumping a topic with something relavent to say is OK. That applies more outside the petpets forum.

Is that still an accepted rule? That used to be the rule.
adi_gallia

Post by adi_gallia »

You see I don't find a topic every two days to be particularly harmful. I mean if it were once a day or more than once a day I would be worried.

You should also note that checkers is often very helpful with matchings on the petpet forum. I think him, daisybell and lika_101 are the better people at suggesting petpets on these forums. Actually checkers is quite indecisive; if you noticed a lot of his boards are 'What should I paint Cerastela and what petpet matches?'

One of his posts was about a Royal Moehog, one was a Royal Kyrii and another has been a selection of royal pets. So yes he is quite indecisive. I myself have seen at least three different boards asking about a Christmas Bori and I have not yet noticed a mod asking them to search the forums for older posts.
thelonetiel
Human Avatar: 15268

Post by thelonetiel »

The main problem I have, is that with each post, in Checker's case, he shows all of the matches he comes up with, and so seems like he wants just opinions.

If you are really a family that all play Neopets and are obsessive about petpets as you seem to be, you could ask each other for opinions. You all tend to respond to the posts anyway, so you could just skip us. *shrug*

It also gets annoying because you seem to just ask ask ask, but I rarely see you offering the same amounts of petpet matches as you seem to want in return, and when you do offer matches, they often at duplicate matches that others have found. You also aren't contributing to the rest of the forum, at least not that I've noticed. *shrug* Seems like a one way relationship, that you are doing all the taking in.

That really isn't on topic, but might by why you aren't seeing much support from the other forumites. I at least don't tend to help those that annoy me.