Sam's deadline...

Any problems or suggestions regarding the forums or scripts, post them here.
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

I'm with Smurfie still. If he ever cares enough to come back and actually says he takes issue with us using Neocolours, then we can decide on new crappier names.
Madge

Post by Madge »

I think there's little, if any, problem with using the "neocolours" name.

After all, Sam didn't trademark it and he didn't make money off of it.

I think a neocolours.something domain would be fine, with a section of the FAQ or something saying how the name Neocolours was invented by Sam. It's not like he's going to sue us.

Because the name Neocolours is so sentimentally valuable to me because it's what you folks are. I don't think of you as NC, I think of the whole thing, Neocolours.
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

I'm with Huggles and Madge. I have trouble seeing Sam going nuts about our using Neocolours as our domain name and if he want us to change, we can deal with it then.
phoebemittens

Post by phoebemittens »

Madge wrote:Because the name Neocolours is so sentimentally valuable to me because it's what you folks are. I don't think of you as NC, I think of the whole thing, Neocolours.
I am with Madge, and Huggles, and Wingsrising. I don't want to be part of any weird old NC, I want neocolours. I think we've been very courteous about not stepping on Sam's toes. I also think if he got annoyed by our using the name, we could think about changing it then.

In the interim, Neocolours. If only because there may be some old lurkers and users out there who have never caught up with the LJ community and don't know where we are any more.
rebelheart

Post by rebelheart »

But neocolours.com, .net and .org are all taken, so I'm confused as to what TLD you would want to go with neocolours? As much as I'd like to keep the name I don't think we should buy one of these from the resellers, because resellers are baaad, not only on Neo. I don't want to support them. Not that I could give any money to buy any name at all so maybe i should just.. shut up. :X
Aqua

Post by Aqua »

What if we got neo.colours.something? :P (neo being a subdomain of colours) Only thing is the only colours domains available according to godaddy.com are colours.at/.tw/etc and all really expensive. Or going by that we could be neo.coloursite.com or something.. We'd probably be better off with just neocolours.cc or something, but it's a random idea..
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

Ah, well, the problem was being presented as "We can't get Neocolours because it steps on Sam's toes." I'm not sure that's the case and I think we can be concerned about it if he complains.

If the problem is that Neocolours just isn't available as a domain name than that's different.

However, how much more money would be talking to get Neocolours, anyway?
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

neocolours.net wrote:NeoColours.net

Thank you for your interest in this domain. Please read below carefully and complete our online request form. This domain has a value of at least $888.00.
neocolours.org wrote:THIS DOMAIN HAS BEEN REGISTERED BY A CLIENT OF UK2.NET AND THE
CLIENT HAS CHOSEN TO POINT IT TO OUR FREE HOLDING PAGE.
IN CASE OF AN ENQUIRY OR DISPUTE PLEASE READ OUR DISPUTE PAGES.
TO EMAIL THE DOMAIN HOLDER USE THIS ADDRESS
OWNER@DOMAINNAME.COM
neocolours.com: taken, email for price.
neocolours.info: not taken.
neocolours.biz: not taken.

I feel kind of odd about buying a neocolours domain. As for thenc:
thenc.com: taken, email for price.
thenc.net: not taken.
thenc.co.uk: not taken.
thenc.org: not taken.

To this day, I'm not quite sure what "the_nc" stands for...I believe it's "the neocolours community", but I don't know. Never asked Mel. I don't think it's "the neocolours", either.
daisybell

Post by daisybell »

I always assumed that the_nc was a play on words of The O.C., but that was just me.

I'd be happy with thenc.co.uk, it would be nice to keep our .uk and it's short enough to be memorable.
Neopets wishlists: here
Zap

Post by Zap »

I still want to use Neocolours in our domain, it seems like neocolours.info would be best if we went that way.

I thought 'the_nc' came from 't3h 1337 nc'... or was it the other way around?
chickvw

Post by chickvw »

I am with Madge, and Huggles, and Wingsrising. I don't want to be part of any weird old NC, I want neocolours. I think we've been very courteous about not stepping on Sam's toes. I also think if he got annoyed by our using the name, we could think about changing it then.
I also concur with Smurfie, Madge, Huggles, Wingswising and phoebemittens. This isn't a sudden thing. We contacted and gave him PLENTY of time.... and it's not as if he copyrighted it.
What if we got neo.colours.something? (neo being a subdomain of colours) Only thing is the only colours domains available according to godaddy.com are colours.at/.tw/etc and all really expensive. Or going by that we could be neo.coloursite.com or something.. We'd probably be better off with just neocolours.cc or something, but it's a random idea..
I suggested that on the initial "let's buy a domain" thread, but someone, forget who, someone thought that was 'wasteful' of the colours part, that what other 'colours' would we be, and that we should just use Joeno'shappyfunland or whatever.
Image Image
Thank you MM for the Woobles!
Madge

Post by Madge »

But if you're using Joeno's Wacky Colour Funland on the title, you're stepping on *my* toes, as I came up with that name.

AND BY GUM YOU USE IT AND YOU DIE.

(the above part was a joke, obviously).

If neocolours isn't avaliable, that's a bummer. thenc.co.uk would be good.
sezrin

Post by sezrin »

I refer to hear as NC anyway. Thenc.co.uk , easy to remember and simple and cheap...

And as for al this worry about Sam sueing? Err Can't see it happening. And seeing as I'm in training to be a copyright lawyer I can say that with a small amount of authority...
Joeno

Post by Joeno »

I think the point isn't as much as to whether it is or isn't the legal thing to do, it's about whether it's the right thing. Those two tend to differ by a lot.

Legally, the name isn't trademarked or similar, and so on and so on - see the reasoning given above.

However, he did build the original site, got visitors, and helped it become what it was. It's more about respecting what Sam did, and acknowledging that it's he who did it.

Without response, however, there isn't much we can say about Sam's likes or dislikes, so I guess that using Neocolours as a name - or preferably something derived from it - isn't a problem. If he doesn't want us to use it, though, even if legally he can't force us to, I do think we should respect that wish.
jazzy nli

Post by jazzy nli »

I agree with Joeno- I don't think there's anything legally wrong with us using the name, but it's a bit dubious from a sort of moral point of view. I think Sam needs to be asked before it happens- though he shouldn't be able to object to thenc, because we are neocolours' community.