Sam's deadline...

Any problems or suggestions regarding the forums or scripts, post them here.
thelonetiel
Human Avatar: 15268

Post by thelonetiel »

I really would object to using the name Neocolours in the domain. I know Sam was proud of his site, and I don't think taking the name and saying that *we* are Neocolours and you left us you dirty snob so we'll take what we want from the old site and screw you is a very good game plan. =P Sam may not care enough about the site now to keep it up and running, but from what I've seen him say, he will not have bad memories of NC, he was really proud he made such a popular and successful site.

Now, if we got thenc.co.uk or some such, I would have no problem, because NC can stand for anything or nothing, and it wouldnt lose us money if we had to drop the name. I think that is the most sensible suggestion so far.

And, just so you know, I made the mistake of mentioning Necolours in a Charter board thread yesterday, and since I am partially known for coding and HTML help, they put two and two together and decided that I am the new manager of Neocolours. And of course, it was on a Rainbowpool.net board, and so I didnt feel comfortable talking about NC on it and I unsuccessfully directed people to Neomail me and well... It was just a very amusing thread, especially as the people who were confused Neomailed me and ignored my "I am only part of the NC community" post.

At any rate, it did do the good deed of showing that many people would be happy to see NC back in business, I hope we can get it started soon. I'll be happy to devote energy in coding and graphics, though I'm currently struggling with figuring out how exactly I can get PHP to be testable without buying server space somewhere.
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

thelonetiel wrote:I really would object to using the name Neocolours in the domain. I know Sam was proud of his site, and I don't think taking the name and saying that *we* are Neocolours and you left us you dirty snob so we'll take what we want from the old site and screw you is a very good game plan. =P Sam may not care enough about the site now to keep it up and running, but from what I've seen him say, he will not have bad memories of NC, he was really proud he made such a popular and successful site.
You're obviously free to disagree about the name, but I don't think that's a correct characterzation of what people are saying when we suggest using Neocolours in the domain name. I, at least, want to respect our continuity with the old site: to preserve it's memory, if you will -- to hopefully continue the successful site Sam created. If I thought Sam would object I wouldn't suggest it. (Though obviously I could be quite wrong about that.)
Garrett

Post by Garrett »

I like the idea of thenc.co.uk. It's quick, simple and easy.

I was also thinking, about being called "The Colour Neo". It only come into my head because Oprah was talking about "The Colour Purple:. I don't think it's a good idea myself, but I thought it would have been a funny play of words.

Should we actually want "The Colour Neo", all the domains are free.
smurfie

Post by smurfie »

Wingsrising wrote:
thelonetiel wrote:I really would object to using the name Neocolours in the domain. I know Sam was proud of his site, and I don't think taking the name and saying that *we* are Neocolours and you left us you dirty snob so we'll take what we want from the old site and screw you is a very good game plan. =P Sam may not care enough about the site now to keep it up and running, but from what I've seen him say, he will not have bad memories of NC, he was really proud he made such a popular and successful site.
You're obviously free to disagree about the name, but I don't think that's a correct characterzation of what people are saying when we suggest using Neocolours in the domain name. I, at least, want to respect our continuity with the old site: to preserve it's memory, if you will -- to hopefully continue the successful site Sam created. If I thought Sam would object I wouldn't suggest it. (Though obviously I could be quite wrong about that.)
I agree with Wings. Why can't the continuance of the original be considered a tribute rather than a snub? If I was proud of something, I would rather see it continue under the same name. If I saw "identical" format/items under a different name, THEN I would feel a little miffed, as though the intention was indeed to be a copycat of the original work. But that's just my take on it.....
Happy
Location: South East Asia Listening to: One Fine Day Feeling: Excited

Post by Happy »

Wingsrising wrote:
EofS wrote: We have got our own actual forum up and running. The issue is over a domain name. Since the domain name is going to cost somebody <i>actual, real money</i> which won't be refunded if we change our minds, or if Sam turns up and says "I don't like you using Neocolours," I think it's better that we make the right decision before it happens.
Indeed.

Are there other abbreviation (a la pinkpt) that we might use if there's isn't overall support for thenc (which I agree seems a little off to me).

http://www.neoc.co.uk? Maybe not.

http://www.neocolours2.co.uk? Or variants thereof? neocoloursII?
Neoc sorta sounds like an energy drink and neocolours2 is a bit, I don't know, cumbersome?
lavender
Human Avatar: 168295

Post by lavender »

I think we should continue with "Neocolours" and then make a History page - the very first line being: "Neocolours was created [whenever] by Sam Kington." and so forth.

But I guess if the majority is too uptight about "stealing" the name, then thenc.co.uk would be my second choice.
{neopets: _lavender} ImageImage Image {subeta: lavenderkennedy}
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

So, we could make a new poll (probably in a new topic, so everyone sees it, not here in this topic). Should the poll options, for now, just be simple generalities, like "Either: Something based on 'neocolours,' or: Something based on 'thenc'"? And then once that was decided, we could hash out domain suffixes and suchlike, and have another vote? Or do we want a really large poll right now, with all the options people have listed as being available?
Image Image
Trick
Mad Cavy Lady

Post by Trick »

I really don't like the idea of taking the name neocolours which was the name of a site owned by someone else, it may not be a legal issue but I'd just feel really bad about that. "Stealing" ideas/names of sites online no matter what the intention can rub people up the wrong way and make them feel like crap.

I would like perhaps a few people to try and e-mail/phone Sam asking for his permission though, it doesn't look like he's going to bring the old site back so perhaps if we ask first he'd be pleased to see us carrying it on. At the very least I think it would be nice to try and ask first so he at least knows that that may be what people are going to vote for anyway.

If he is against that I think anything with "NC" in the domain would be pretty good, much like PPT do that with their url. I do think it would be nice to try and work it so we got a .co.uk/.com/.net url though as I've noticed that with all the neopets paranoia many people (including myself if I've googled the site) are reluctant to click on non-top domain level neopets fan sites. When I was checking out little sites on other fan sites affiliates list I was astonished at the amount of spyware and viruses so I don't blame people for being cautious - it might be something to take into account anyway.

Mind you, the main page of PPT tried to give me winfixer a few days ago anyway ¬_¬
oogabooga

Post by oogabooga »

I think a more general poll at first, Ty, since one of the main points of contention seems to be whether we should use "neocolours" at all.
EofS

Post by EofS »

My main disagreement with neocolours is in using it in the url. Quite aside from anything else, if Sam does come back and gets pissy, we'd need to change the url and that's someone's money down the drain. If we use it in the site then at least it's not too hard to change.
lavender
Human Avatar: 168295

Post by lavender »

Trick wrote:I would like perhaps a few people to try and e-mail/phone Sam asking for his permission though, it doesn't look like he's going to bring the old site back so perhaps if we ask first he'd be pleased to see us carrying it on. At the very least I think it would be nice to try and ask first so he at least knows that that may be what people are going to vote for anyway.
Wasn't he asked in the last email we sent (I think Huggles sent it?) if it was ok to use the name?

{edit} Tried to find it, but I think it was in the other temp. forum.
Last edited by lavender on 11 Feb 2006 02:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
{neopets: _lavender} ImageImage Image {subeta: lavenderkennedy}
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

No reply doesn't mean tacit consent...after all, he's said before that some emails don't get through to him because of mail filtering, and if the server's on the blip, since it hosts illuminated.co.uk too, it hosts his mail server.
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

:shrug: Well, I'm not committed to having Neocolours in the new domain. I just object to the implication that people who want to use it are making the suggestion as a big "screw you" to Sam. I also think thenc is a sort of silly abbreviation. The Neocolours?

However, I can't really think of any better alternatives. thenewnc? nc2?
Dead Webby

Post by Dead Webby »

Wingsrising wrote::shrug: Well, I'm not committed to having Neocolours in the new domain. I just object to the implication that people who want to use it are making the suggestion as a big "screw you" to Sam. I also think thenc is a sort of silly abbreviation. The Neocolours?

However, I can't really think of any better alternatives. thenewnc? nc2?
i think thenc is okay.

[sarcasm] No, i've got a better idea. why not just have the domain name as screwyousamcosyoudidntreplylykomg ? [/sarcasm]
Thanks VanillaCoke for the Set.
thelonetiel
Human Avatar: 15268

Post by thelonetiel »

It all depends on how he will look at it. If I created a site, real life came in the way, and someone restarted the site still using the name I came up with without asking me, I would feel snubbed. Some people might have different reactions, but my feelings would not be "Yay they continued without me!", thats just the way I think. I have no idea if Sam would feel the same way or what his reaction would be, but I think it would be better safe than sorry, pardon the cliche.

All in all, I just want the site to have a domain name again. It makes us feel so unprofessional to link to a weird site like we have now, even though it shouldnt.