Sam's deadline...

Any problems or suggestions regarding the forums or scripts, post them here.
Mistress Morbid

Post by Mistress Morbid »

EofS wrote:My main disagreement with neocolours is in using it in the url. Quite aside from anything else, if Sam does come back and gets pissy, we'd need to change the url and that's someone's money down the drain. If we use it in the site then at least it's not too hard to change.
That's my view as well. =)
Image Image
sterlinglyons

Post by sterlinglyons »

To me "thenc.net" seems like a great compromise. People want to maintain a sense of identity as a community and, at the same time, not infringe upon Sam. I prefer the ".net" to the ".co.uk" as well. While ".co.uk" reflects the british roots of the site and our heritage, it is rather cumbersome looking. The ".net" is simpler, easier to remember, sleeker and I feel would prove more beneficial in re-establishing our web presence.

If we go with "Neocolours" in some form, there is a perceived "Sam-factor" (While I personally think Sam would be fine with this, so long as we didn't buy the original neocolours.co.uk domain, others disagree).

If we go with a new name entirely, for instance "neopaint.net" (Which I just came up with and rather like), we would lose a portion of our identity. In essence, "neocolours" would cease to exist.

Another thing to consider: I think that if neither Sam nor we renew a neocolours-based name, eventually someone will. I think we would all be rather miffed to google one day and find a corporate site for art supplies or worse, "the c001ish f4nz s173 evah11!!" listed under our old moniker

So those are basically our options.
lavender
Human Avatar: 168295

Post by lavender »

So are we going to email him again asking if we can use the name in the domain? :?
Is having Neocolours in the domain name the preferred way to go? Meaning, if we get permission, are we most likely going to use it (and using thenc would be a backup incase there's no domains available).
I'm not trying to say "screw Sam".
{neopets: _lavender} ImageImage Image {subeta: lavenderkennedy}
Kantark

Post by Kantark »

Personally I think yes, lavender. If only we could contact him then this could be all cleared up with just one email. Personally I hope he would be happy for the Neocolours name to appear on this site (which can be the best colour-finder site again, I'm sure of it) rather than die out altogether.
Neopets: sparkygoesforth, decommissioned, nightfall, LiveJournal:kantark, Last.FM:Kantark
Teragram

Post by Teragram »

I think if Sam was going to get bothered about the name, he'd be bothered about that we tried to keep that identity at all. I mean, it's seems like, say, the distributor of Peanuts wanted to continue it, and so they gave it to another person to write and draw. Only, because Schulz didn't want it, they changed the name to, I dunno, 'Good Grief'. The content would still be the same, and we'd still be trading off of the reputation that neocolours got. Like, the name is a very superficial thing, and I think if Sam were to get mad, it could just as easily be because we were attracting people to this site using the fame he acquired, with the same draws. Like a person in a company spliting off and taking some of the accounts and customers with him. companies get cranky about that sort of thing. I'd imagine, though, this would only happen if Sam really WAS interested in getting neocolours back up and running...

...So, in conclusion, since that wasn't very coherent, I'm all for keeping the name neocolours. it'll make it clear for people who are looking for us, and I just don't think Sam'd care unless he cared about us shanghai-ing his whole draw. I mean, we ARE planning on being neocolours, still, aren't we? planning to have the ability to look up all the colors, to spot colors first, to have the forums, with the people, the commenting on colors, comparing colours, so why shouldn't we have the name? It's more honest, and I think it would be more honorable, too-changing the name seems like we are kind of trying to hide the fact that we are continuing Sam's work, that he did first and well, like stealing the idea from another site and trying to pass it off as our own, but using the name is a sign of respect, it says to him, we're still the same, we're still using the name, and we're just doing what you started, because we couldn't bear to see it go.
oogabooga

Post by oogabooga »

You make good points, but I'm starting to lean toward not having it in the url - just in banners and such. That way it'd be both clearly separate and clearly a continuation. Which really makes no sense, ignore me.
EofS

Post by EofS »

This is why I like thenc.co.uk/.net - we <i>are</i> The Neocolours Community - the community from Neocolours carrying on the site in our own way. Because it really is going to be a community effort - gone are the days of a single benevolent dictator, there will be at least four people with considerable power (person paying for hosting, person paying for the domain, person maintaining the scripts, person admining the forum.)
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

Okay, making new topic--I'll lock this one but link it. Feel free to continue this discussion there--just think of it as a new page--I simply want to have a new topic so that more people are likely to see it. ^_^
Image Image