News posts on the front page: posters (contest open!)

Any problems or suggestions regarding the forums or scripts, post them here.
adi_gallia

Post by adi_gallia »

I have an idea based on these ideas.

I think that Jazz should make a topic with 3 pets to rate. Such as the three listed. People that then want to become the news poster would PM Jazz with their reviews. There would be a week or so to do this.

Then when the deadline arrives Jazz would make a poll with the comments from each entrant with no screen names (labelled A, B, C etc.) and then we vote for the best comments and the two, or three, with the most votes would become the news poster. This way no one knows who they are voting for, but they are eligible to comment on which ratings they preferred. I think this is fair, does anyone agree.

Sorry if this sounded like any ideas so far. I may not have understood.
EofS

Post by EofS »

Basketball wrote:So basically you are picking 3 pets, one that is generally good, one that is generally bad,and one that is in between. And people are voting on what pet they like the best with extra reasons and things. If I am wrong please correct me.
We are discussing how to choose the people to write front page news for this site. They will be responsible for posting about new colours which come up, including opinions on them.

It has been suggested that to audition for the job, people should pretend to be reviewing three pets (grey lupe, pepper chia, white poogle) as if they are new colours. Then people can vote on the reviews they think are best.

Does that make it clear now?
Basketball

Post by Basketball »

Ohhh so the one that people vote for the most will be the one to comment on the new pet. I get it now. Thanks EofS :D And by the way I think that is a wonderful idea.
adi_gallia

Post by adi_gallia »

Basketball wrote:Ohhh so the one that people vote for the most will be the one to comment on the new pet. I get it now. Thanks EofS :D And by the way I think that is a wonderful idea.
Actually I don't think that is what is meant.

What is meant is that some members will comment on some pets chosen and the person who makes the comments with the most votes will become the news poster. It is sort of like applying for a job.
Basketball

Post by Basketball »

Yeah I think that is what I meant I just typed it wrong, thanks for clarifying things! Are you guys still using the new colours area where we can put are comments or are you going to just use the news poster
Cheese

Post by Cheese »

Do you mean will the new colours section of the forum still be there?

I would assume yes...everyone has a right to comment on new things...
adi_gallia

Post by adi_gallia »

Basketball wrote:Yeah I think that is what I meant I just typed it wrong, thanks for clarifying things! Are you guys still using the new colours area where we can put are comments or are you going to just use the news poster
I think this news poster thing is about the front page being put back up, I think. So, as before, the New Colours forum will be open for us to discuss new colours on.

But I am not a Mod so I don't know, but that is my interpretation of events.
dandelions
Lily Was Here

Post by dandelions »

Oh, definitely- the news posters will have to include a link to the thread on any pets they review for people to talk about it themselves.

In case anyone's still confused, the voting is going to go like this:
- I've given you the three pets to talk about. Do any more if you want, but you have to do those three.
- You PM dandelions (not Jazzy) with your entries
- I'll close the entries once some time's elapsed- probably a few weeks
- Voting will open- you pick the ones you like best, and they will be anonymous. Again, some time will elapse, and then I'll close it and announce the winners.
- The winners will post the news on the front page.
Basketball

Post by Basketball »

Just wondering since you said "you pick the ones you like the best" does that mean that you don't have to do all three of those or is that for something else
Cheese

Post by Cheese »

No, people review all three and then people vote and pick the person whos commenting they like best.
Basketball

Post by Basketball »

Ok thanks Cheese :D
adi_gallia

Post by adi_gallia »

Ok, two more questions.

Does the news poster have to create the New Colours post on the forum as they have to post a link to it in their update?

Do the people PM you now? or will you announce it in a separate post?

Actually that was three questions.
oogabooga

Post by oogabooga »

Maybe it's easier to understand for people who remember when Sam used to write the reviews? Because it's going to be the exact same thing, except with a few people chosen by the forum instead of just Sam.

Here's a link to the front page as it looked once upon a time (I picked a really old one, just for fun) - note the link to the review of the fire ixi, up at the top. Originally, his commentary was one of the main points of the site. People added their own comments to the reviews, and eventually the forum was created.

Anyway, back on topic... I think it's probably good to start off with just 2 or 3, but we should expect to increase the number a bit and probably replace people (as we've done with the mods, though there won't be as much of a need). I would much prefer the voting to be done anonymously, for precisely this reason:
Basketball wrote:I would choose the public vote just so you can see what other people picked also.
We want unbiased opinions.
dandelions
Lily Was Here

Post by dandelions »

PM me now with reviews of all three. If you don't have all three I'll ignore you.

The person is statistically likely to be updating the front page <i>after</i> a thread has already gone up in New Colours (chances of one of 900 people spotting a new colour and posting a thread is bigger than one of three people spotting a new colour) but if there isn't one already, they'll need to create one.

And yes, it's going to be done very similar to how Sam did it, but with a few minor alterations to take into account there's three people updating, not just one.
Last edited by dandelions on 21 Jan 2007 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Basketball

Post by Basketball »

At first when I said that I wasnt sure of what was being done now I get it and I think it should be anonymous now. When we pick the one we think that had the best review will we have to PM you, dandelions or will you have a poll?