An explanation of exactly what happened this weekend.

Any problems or suggestions regarding the forums or scripts, post them here.
Silverevilchao
Human Avatar: 155477

Post by Silverevilchao »

Ooooh, man, that explains why the Pet Database has been down forever, doesn't it?

Seriously, man, that guy seemed really nice. I never thought he'd abuse his power like that.

...and crap, my post in the Subeta woes/achievements topic is gone. DAMN.

Here's a few questions:

1.) Can't he get arrested for attacking the site? My mom asked that one...

2.) Any idea when the pet database's going to be back up ('specially the Subeta one, which really needs to be updated now)?

3.) This one I've been wanting to ask for a while. Is it possible if one can submit images for skins (say, icons for a forum with no new posts, etc.) on this forum, as well as matching color schemes? A good example of what I'm talking about is at the Serebii.net forums.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

1) Hee, no, we can't arrest him. Internet crimes need to be very serious, very clear-cut, and most of all, happen to very important companies/governments. Oh, and they have to happen within one country--this crosses several international lines.

2) As soon as possible. No one's constructing a timeline yet. We have to determine how much work needs to be done, as well as who needs to do it all.

3) Can't answer for certain, because I'm not the one who installs mods to the forum, but serebii runs vbulletin forums, and we run phpbb. I imagine that allowing custom skins would be very difficult. But Jazzy can answer more thoroughly.
Image Image
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

I'll avoid all comments on motivations, etc. and submit that I really liked the "sort new posts by forum" mod. Dunno if that's one of the mods you were considering adding back, but I vote for it. :-) (Also the quickreply one.)
sureq

Post by sureq »

I read the previously linked to thread, and he left about the same time I joined, which is why I was so clueless about him.

And I finally know what that garfen-word is.

And thanks to all involved to get the site back up. *showers you with hugs and lollies*
ImageImage
Riddler

Post by Riddler »

Yayforumback! Thanks muchly to Jazzy et al. <3
Thanks to Twisted for the awesome set!
rebelheart

Post by rebelheart »

My name thread is gone. I guess it was because it was two weeks old while the forum was down and I couldn't bump it.

I never understood why the dispute about the german site was big enough to make Joeno leave in the first place. We have no control over the name and even if this was/is a touch subject in this community, strangers don't know and won't understand. Anyway, old stuff you can't change and blah...

Thank you all for the hard work.

*goes to search for a backup of her name list, if there is any*
LΟL
dandelions
Lily Was Here

Post by dandelions »

Yeah, I didn't understand why, either. I suppose he's just volatile, as he proved over the last few days.

To people asking for mods: not right now, I'm sort of burned out with respect to coding and some of them are more trouble than they're worth to make compatible with the phpBB version we're running. The only reason topic title on index is back is because that mod's been tested with 2.0.22; some mods are so outdated that they're for 2.0.6, or 2.0.8. The code is significantly different. If you can find a version for 2.0.22, I will consider installing them, but otherwise I won't be.

To people asking for skins: not ever. They're a real pain in the neck to make work with mods- did you know that almost every mod affects the subSilver template, and that you have to go in and modify the template for every other mod you have installed? That's if you're lucky and the mod doesn't include a brand new page, as the quick reply one does; you then have to modify that page and create a set of if statements to point the site to the correct version for that skin. Sites with skins tend to either a) have no or very few mods or b) have significant advertising revenue, justifying the time spent on making them compatible.
Gibblywibbly

Post by Gibblywibbly »

A thought, is Joeno banned from the forum, or can he see all of this?
Miltank is the coolest pokemon.
dandelions
Lily Was Here

Post by dandelions »

Yes, he is banned; that doesn't prevent him reading this, but he can't post.
Miguel

Post by Miguel »

I've said it privately, and I'll say it publicly now I can, too:

Jazzy, you are an angel. Your dedication to Neocolours is phenomenal, and certainly appreciated.

Also, to the others who helped in restoring the forum, thank you too. I know a lot of hard work was put in over the last couple of days.

I must also say that I'm also seriously impressed that over a single weekend, Neocolours bounced back from the worst case scenario of complete destruction to a full restoration. Makes you wonder why he bothered, really :D

Thanks again, guys :)
Many thanks to EofS for the avatar and signature images.
nanabobo567

Post by nanabobo567 »

Without Neocolours, I don't have a childhood. Really. Without this place, I wouldn't have learned almost everything I know. Thanks for saving it.
Seerow wrote:Aww Nana, I didn't think you meant you were literally dead last night :(
Monkeyguy

Post by Monkeyguy »

Thank you Jazzy and everyone else who helped get things up and running again. It's great to see how little a childish act like this one affects our morale. You guys are awesome!
Image Image Image
Nogitsune
Colourmeister

Post by Nogitsune »

My one worry is can he do that again? Or could he do even worse?
Faster than a speeding cheeseburger, but not by much.
dandelions
Lily Was Here

Post by dandelions »

Well, we don't plan to make the password mistake again...I don't like saying "never", especially considering phpBB itself has been exploited in the past (older members might remember "this site has been defaced", which affected our site and several thousand other forums when a vulnerability was found in an old version of phpBB), but we've locked him out and have reverted the changes he made. Realistically, he can't do any worse- he deleted the entire domain and we were back after two days. There's not much more he can do to the site short of kidnapping me or something. Even the things that weren't backed up and had to be redone had their advantages- the mods going meant I could finally upgrade the phpBB, and the error pages have been redone in proper HTML 4.01 like the rest of the new site and are now back up.

And thank you, everyone :)
Madge

Post by Madge »

dandelions wrote:There's not much more he can do to the site short of kidnapping me or something.
He can't do that, really? R - right?

Can you go into witness protection? Do they have a programme for people who fear kidnapping as retribution for something to do with the internets?

Can we each donate like a dollar a week and use the money thereby raised to hire a bodyguard for your eminent self?

Yes? No? Maybe?