New domain name?

Any problems or suggestions regarding the forums or scripts, post them here.

What kind of URL do you want to see?

Something using the full word "neocolours"
52%
Something using "thenc" or a variant thereof
45%
Neither--explain below
2%

Total votes: 86

Post by Guest »

EofS wrote:incidentally unless anyone is willing to start a company with an office in New Caledonia, anything.nc is out ;0)

I think NeoCanvas is the best replacement name I've heard suggested in case Sam does object to Neocolours. And it does fit nicely with my possible Sekrit Project.
I really like NeoCanvas as a replacement name. It sounds different and unique. But Sam doesn't seem the type to go through all the trouble of objecting the use of the name NeoColours when he hasn't even got in contact with us anyway.
Kantark

Post by Kantark »

I'd rather we used neocolours.* with Sam's blessing.
Neopets: sparkygoesforth, decommissioned, nightfall, LiveJournal:kantark, Last.FM:Kantark

Post by Guest »

Kantark wrote:I'd rather we used neocolours.* with Sam's blessing.
I doubt it will ever happen. Sam appears to have just disappeared from the face of the planet.
Cheese

Post by Cheese »

Joeno wrote:...With a acronym-like version, such as the-nc.*, thenc.*, nnc.* (New NeoColours?), or whatever...
New Neocolours could work. It's a bit of a mouthful to say but I like it a helluva lot more than "Then C"

Neocanvas is good too but that makes us a whole new site really, which we're not. We're still the same bunch of people.
Mac

Post by Mac »

I voted for "The NC". I think it's just catchier and pretty easy to remember. But I do also like "NNC", just not as much. =D
Anza

Post by Anza »

I like NewNC.whatever ...

It wouldn't have theproblems with reading it as Then C but it would still be short and easy to remember. And New Neocolours makes more sense than The Neocolours.
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

I would still prefer something like neocolours2, but I'd put in another vote as prefering newnc or nnc to thenc, which besides looking like "then c" doesn't make much sense to me. We're "the neocolours?" (Saying it's short for "the neocolours community" doesn't improve much for me. Among other things, I don't think anyone thinks of "nc" as standing for "neocolours community" rather than "neocolours".)
phoebemittens

Post by phoebemittens »

I may be being really stupid here, but is there actually a reason why we can't just buy neocolours.com, now that it's been expired for several months?
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

Yup, it's registered by a reseller- domaincar.com. Resellers tend to be the kind of people you want to avoid, as evidenced by the jerks selling neocolours.net for over $800. They make the neopets kind look positively charitable.
sterlinglyons

Post by sterlinglyons »

Well, as per other arguments, we can't really have an affordable "neocolours" domain without referencing some obscure country code or rare suffix that isn't really known to the general populace.

I voted thenc, as it shows a transition while still referencing our tradition. We maintain the "us-ness" of the site.

I don't think "the" is that bad. Think of "The OC" (which btw is a popular television program and ads to the catchy-ness of our abbreviation). OC stands for Orange County. The Orange County? What? But it somehow makes sense when it is abbreviated. Ours would too, especially if when we reference it, we capitilize: theNC.something or TheNC so as to eliminate the "then-c" pronunciation.

We are trying to resestablish ourselves. thenc.net is so simple and catchy it will be much easier to remember and ultimately help re-establish our web presence. The reason I prefer .net to .co.uk is it is cleaner, more people are familiar with .net, and it is shorter. You would be suprised at how many people are not aware of the country code bit for urls.

As a note of inspiration: I was looking at that web-archive site, and found a post that Sam did in which the neocolours site was the FIFTH result listed in a google-type search for "neopets". The first two were Neopets pages. That made us THIRD in fansites. It would be great to get back to that.
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

My vote is still for keeping Neocolours in the url. I honestly can't imagine why anyone would think he'd care if he hasn't even taken the time to contact us. I like Sam. It'd be wonderful if he came back, but he left us for Puzzle Pirates and not for personal reasons. I do believe him when he says he's proud of the work he's done on the site and the community, but it just seems silly to think that he's going to care at this point. I think neocolours.info is the best option so far, but I'm unsure of just how much it would cost.

Register.com doesn't seem to list the price unless you sign up, but GoDaddy is asking for $6 a year. Aplus.net is asking for $8 for two years. If we really could get it for that little, I don't think having to change it again if Sam ever voices objection would be a problem.
Cheese

Post by Cheese »

We're pretty much split down the middle on this one.

In fact, at the moment it's 31: 31: 1
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

Yeah. Pity. I'd hoped we'd have a clear-cut majority on one.

Looks like we're going to have to come up with a list of Every Possible Domain Name, and vote on those... bother.
Image Image
jeti

Post by jeti »

I rather despise the OC, and refuse to believe that we have anything at all to do with it. n_~ Besides that, I still have the "then c" problem with having thenc.whatever as our URL.

I'm unsure on what to vote, however... although I do like the -idea- of NCII, I don't like the way a number would look at the end of our URL, and slapping two "I"s at the end seems... stupid.

newnc might be all right... newneocolours too long, I suppose? neoneocolours?
Ierosbats

Post by Ierosbats »

I kind of...really, completely hate 'NewNeocolours' and 'Neocolours2'.

I don't know why, exactly, but... I'd be extremely disappointed if one of those got picked. It doesn't feel right, somehow.
Last edited by Ierosbats on 13 Feb 2006 02:22 am, edited 1 time in total.