Adoptions

Any problems or suggestions regarding the forums or scripts, post them here.
Zap

Adoptions

Post by Zap »

Can we unlock the adoptions board now that it's been a little over a week since the changes?
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod
Human Avatar: 166931

Post by Joey »

I believe the reason it's still under lock is because the auto adoption link thing is down. And it's kind of silly to abandon pets if the adoptee can't adopt them.

Yeah. 4 in the morning post.
adi_gallia

Post by adi_gallia »

Yeah, the pound is down at the moment anyway. But I suppose we could open it to find potential owners for when it's back. It's not up to me though.
dandelions
Lily Was Here

Post by dandelions »

That's the only reason it's closed now: the part where you abandon pets is apparently working, but you can't pull them out again. I don't want to encourage people to throw pets into the black hole that's the current pound; if the pound had been working properly, I'd have reopened Adoptions last Tuesday, as planned. I have the quick adopt link on one of my pets bookmarked and have been checking it daily, but it's still down for maintenance. My guess as to why is that it's to stop people stripping pets of their accessories then repounding, which was what was beginning to happen- you got Desert pets with no accessories, or robots without casing because some charming person had got to the pet before you and taken them, then dumped the pet. There's no obvious solution to it, as far as I can see, which is probably why it's taking so long.
Rainbow Daydreamer

Post by Rainbow Daydreamer »

In that case, would it be possible to have a temporary thread in Misc for free pet names until the Pound comes back up? I'm getting itchy fingers.

(Also, wouldn't the obvious solution be to make the clothing go with the pet?)
Visit Semiveteran Logic, disliked by eight out of ten Meepits.
daisybell

Post by daisybell »

I think that it's the implementation of the solution which Jazzy means is difficult, not decidiing what should happen. Of course, it's speculation and the pound might be getting a revamp too.
Neopets wishlists: here
Zap

Post by Zap »

Ok, thanks. :)
dandelions
Lily Was Here

Post by dandelions »

If the clothing goes with the pet, as it has to do in order for the pet to look like the colour it's painted (royals without clothing look like basic r/g/b/y pets), new owners can strip the clothing off. You can't make it so that the pets can't be undressed, because that defeats the purpose of the customisation system, but equally, if you allow it it means people will start harvesting clothing like they do petpets. If you impose a minimum time for people to own pets before they can take the clothes off, there's nothing to stop people just waiting it out.

I'll move the pet name thread to Misc- I'm not really sure why it's in Adoptions, actually.
rebelheart

Post by rebelheart »

I think it was in adoptions so only registered people could see it. Because many people who looked up names preferred nice names to be taken by members rather than anyone who came along. Same with the names in the pound thread.
LΟL
Rainbow Daydreamer

Good point, rebelheart. Are there any other boards that can be seen only by members?
Kamil
Not the nice one
Human Avatar: 72834

Post by Kamil »

Personally, I suspect the pound is down to make sure old skool pets automatically convert when shipped through, because Neo sucks just that hard. >.<

I too would like it if the forum was unlocked, as I tossed three very well named, colorfilled pets into the pound to make room for new Hissis, and at the least I could've placed their names in the "Names in the Pound" thread. Now, I've totally forgotten the spelling on one and the names on the other two, so who knows if they'll ever find their way out again?

Oh well, I suppose that's the way of the world; life sucks and then you get pound stuck forever. :P
Image Image
MM and Twofold rock, yo.
chickvw

Post by chickvw »

Yes, I think it'd be awesome to have it back up, even if there were a large note that said: WARNING POUND IS DEAD, or the like.

I have a Tyrannian Acara I labbed that I don't particularly want. I was going to lab past that for grey for a friend, but with the revamp, that doesn't particularly matter.

I think it'd be awesome if Neo added it so that you cannot pound the pet until you "reset" them to default clothing. So if you loaned a LD headdress to another pet, You'll have to give it back in order to dump the pet, but that will complicate things as I can't see Neopets not allowing people to give items to a friend, unless they simply code it somewhat like the plot items.

I was hoping the clothes would Pile up on a lab pet, should you get multiple clothing-type colors. If they do that I'd love to lab to have a clothes-addicted brat-type pet.
Image Image
Thank you MM for the Woobles!
Rainbow Daydreamer

chickvw wrote:I can't see Neopets not allowing people to give items to a friend, unless they simply code it somewhat like the plot items.
Actually, I think they may already have done that. I've taken Shari's dummy off her (hopefully once for all) and someone else would be welcome to it as far as we're concerned, but it's not in my inventory even though the customisation program says it is. Maybe they make paintbrush clothes invisible in your inventory so people can't sell them for cheaper than the price of an actual PB. Which is a shame, Shari's dummy was there for the taking.
daisybell

Post by daisybell »

I think paintbrush only clothing items stay in your "closet" (ew, why not wardrobe?), rather than going into your inventory. I'm pretty sure that was TNT's intention from the start. Imagine the chaos otherwise when people paint pets just to strip the clothing and sell it on the shop wiz or trading post... ick.

And the dummy would be useless to everyone unless they had the exact same pet, because baby pet items are specific to baby pets, I'm pretty sure of that. And they'd have a dummy already, if they wanted to wear it.
Neopets wishlists: here