Mysterious new message

Any problems or suggestions regarding the forums or scripts, post them here.
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Re: Mysterious new message

Post by Jazzy »

Apologies for the one that's been sent out today, too. I deleted the messages when I became aware of it, but since they avoid sending them to me (because I'm the admin and will ban them, logically enough) it tends to take a while before I know someone's started spamming again. I'm trying to work out a good way to stop this without penalising normal users who send lots of PMs legitimately - for example, when a Werewolf starts.
Elfwoman99

Post by Elfwoman99 »

New spam emails from Ferracont, today Monday. Subject line "Important information"
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Ailiel

Post by Ailiel »

Yep, I got the first one and the one today. Did someone draw a big target on our backs this month?
pet_beauty_shop

Post by pet_beauty_shop »

At least once I read it and then didn't click the link, my count reset to zero. :)
Alicorn
Human Avatar: 160932

Post by Alicorn »

I got this spam message, I feel part of the crowd now. XD I deleted it right away of course. Poor Jazzy. Thank you for fighting this war with spammers for us. **hugs and gives a cookie**
Sig/Av by: thelonetiel
Madge

Post by Madge »

I got one from alarent that said "Hello! =)" and then "I saw this cool thing, come check it out" that lnked to that megl.ru or whatever it was.

Should we be posting this sort of thing when we find it, Jazzy, or is it just a pain, btw?
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

Keep posting--they don't PM me or Jazzy, so we need to know. I deactivated the account, but Jazzy's the database mistress. Hopefully between us we can quash this one too.
Image Image
Madge

Post by Madge »

Cool cool. I'm guessing it's better we post than PM you, right? Cause if we PM you then nobody will know if you've been PMed yet or not whereas at least here everyone knows if the thing has been reported yet.

I don't think that made sense, did it?
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

Made sense to me. I like the posting! Plus, it adds to your invisible post count, and... everyone cares about that.... *snorts*
Image Image
Madge

Post by Madge »

I looked at my invisible post count the other day for some reason and it was like 700 posts. For some reason, I always decide to look specifically at my post count it's always 700 posts (on the old forum, see, I specifically looked at my post count once and it was also like 700).

So I'm, like, 700-post Madge.

Which makes it sound like I put out after 700 posts. Hm.
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

Yep, keep posting - the accounts which PM-spam don't usually fit the profile of the accounts I automatically delete*, so this is one of the few reliable ways I've got.

*for example, I automatically delete any accounts with a timezone of GMT -12, because no-one lives there and we've had at least a thousand bots listing that.