Post Topics, edit: Are gone again...

Any problems or suggestions regarding the forums or scripts, post them here.
sterlinglyons

Post Topics, edit: Are gone again...

Post by sterlinglyons »

I was wondering if it would be possible to have the post topic for the most recently 'posted-to' topic listed for each category on the index page. This feature was implemented on the Temp Forum Madge set up and I found it really helpful.

Edit: Well they were here for a bit and now they are gone again... They've proven really helpful so I'd love to keep them.
Last edited by sterlinglyons on 21 Jan 2006 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

I'm not sure why it isn't there, to tell the truth, because the icon that takes you there is. I'll play with the code tomorrow.
Akjara

Post by Akjara »

I don't know if this would be the right thread, but I have a similar problem. Every time I log in I see the new posts. But as soon as I read ONE of them all others are marked as read and that's really annoying. :(
Help me to make my Dreams come true?

Post by Guest »

Akjara wrote:I don't know if this would be the right thread, but I have a similar problem. Every time I log in I see the new posts. But as soon as I read ONE of them all others are marked as read and that's really annoying. :(
Ditto here.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

That often happens if you close the window, switch browsers, switch computers, that kind of thing. Or your ISP could be doing strange things. I dunno, though, I haven't had that problem here. Oddly enough it marks some of my topics as unread, some of the time.
Image Image

Post by Guest »

I was the guest that posted that above, oops.

Nope, I've not switched broswers, closed windows, or switched computers. As Jazzy said I've only ever used 4 IP addresses to post to the temp forum and at least 2 of them I know are not from my home, it seems like my ISP changes my IP address every few months, if ever. So I think it's pretty unlikely that it's suddenly changing every few times I read a post.

But yeah, once I've read a few threads, it suddenly marks every topic on the board as read. I'm just happliy reading along and boom, not more unread topics. I sort of doubt it's my ISP unless it's some strange interaction between this board and my ISP: this is the only time it's ever happened to me.

I really don't know what to do about this... it makes the forums VERY hard for me to use, as I have no way of knowing what I've already read and no way to automatically get to the place I left off. Help, please?
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

OK, I was BOTH the guests that posted above.

New data point: all the unread messages spontaniously being marked as read apparently corresponded to forum spontaniously logging me out.

No, I thought of that. The messages that were marked as "read" when I was logged out didn't re-appear as "unread" when I logged back in. They're still marked as read.
Akjara

Post by Akjara »

Try using the nc.empireirc.net adress instaed of kamils, that did the trick for me. At least now it works correctly most of the time.

And with me it couldn't be on my side because it worked quite normal in the temp forum and I didn't change anything. :?
Help me to make my Dreams come true?
Jazzy NLI

Post by Jazzy NLI »

sterling- it was a tossup between that and the "who's online" box, and I figured who's online was more important. that's what I get for messing with an outdated mod, I guess.

If you can find one that doesn't get rid of "who's online", I'll be more than happy to install it. it was e-sven's mod which caused the problem, so avoid that.