Take this poll, for great justice!

Any problems or suggestions regarding the forums or scripts, post them here.

Which primary web browser do you use, and do you have Javascript enabled?

I have Javascript enabled
45%
I do not have Javascript enabled
4%
I use IE 7 or 8
2%
I use IE 6 or below
2%
I use Firefox 3
42%
I use Firefox 2 or below
1%
I use Opera
2%
I use Safari
1%
I use Chrome
2%
I use another web browser (please post)
No votes

Total votes: 125

Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Take this poll, for great justice!

Post by Jazzy »

I'm coding some new features in and would like to know first whether it would be better to implement them in CSS or Javascript. Javascript makes more sense, but there's no point if 90% of you have it turned off.

So! I've created a handy poll. You should pick two answers - one for your primary web browser, and one for whether or not you have Javascript enabled. I can't stop you from using both your choices on the Javascript part, but I can see what each person's put, so I might mock you mercilessly if you do :P Please choose the internet browser you use most often to view Neocolours, even if you have multiple browsers installed. If it's a difficult tie or there's some sort of condition involved, feel free to post instead; this also goes if you're using a browser I don't have listed, particularly on mobile devices. I'd like to know whether there's any point attempting to support some of those.

If you're not sure whether you have Javascript enabled, in Firefox and Safari it should be under Preferences > Content, in IE Tools > Internet Options > Security (the Scripting options, not the Java one), and in Opera, Preferences > Advanced > Content. In all browsers, Java is not the same as Javascript, and you can turn one off and have the other on, and vice-versa. In this case, I'm only interested in Javascript. If you have the Noscript extension for Firefox, choose the option that you have it enabled if you would allow Javascript from this site, and that you don't have it enabled if you would block Javascript from this site.

Thanks, everyone!
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Re: Take this poll, for great justice!

Post by AngharadTy »

I use Chrome--a note about it, if anyone else does (does anyone?): Javascript is enabled by default, and you have to go through a minor hassle to disable it. So if you use Chrome, odds are pretty good it's on already, unless you know you turned it off.
Image Image
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

Besides FF, I sometimes (not that often, but occasionally) look at the forums on Safari Mobile on my iPod Touch.
Miguel

Post by Miguel »

What about lynx support? *ducks*
Many thanks to EofS for the avatar and signature images.
EofS

Post by EofS »

I use NoScript and already have scripts allowed for Neocolours, which suggests to me that people will already have to have scripts enabled here. So that should boost the number of javascript enabled FFers.
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

Hmm, I wonder what's using a script at the moment. Possibly something to do with the cookie handling. (eta: yup, cookie handling, as well as the search and jumping to a specific page. These are things phpbb have included, rather than me - I tend to code without javascript, partly because I forget it exists, and partly to punish it for the Javascript-Java-JScript mess.)

As for Lynx support, here's a concise (and Lynx-compatible!) response: no. Until Neopets turns everything into ascii. I've started on the koi in preparation.
><O> ><O> ><O> ><O> ><M><(grr)
Red, yellow, green, blue and Darigan. Just in case.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

Hahahahaha. Jazzy, you're awesome.
Image Image
daisybell

Post by daisybell »

*echoes Ty*

Superficially, my browser is called "Web Browser". I guess there must have been some issues with the non-free-ness of the Firefox trademark for the version of Ubuntu on my netbook.

How is it that we're so completely un-representative of the actual usage share of browsers across the internet?
Neopets wishlists: here
Elfwoman99

Post by Elfwoman99 »

Currently Neocolours only seems to use script to open spoiler tags. At least, that's the only part of the site I can't use without allowing script.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
EofS

Post by EofS »

Elfwoman99 wrote:Currently Neocolours only seems to use script to open spoiler tags. At least, that's the only part of the site I can't use without allowing script.
Oooh, I bet that's why I enabled it! I was trying to work that out earlier - it's used (though not crucial) in searching, and required if you want the little code buttons to work when you write a reply. But I couldn't imagine either of those being something which would have motivated me to actually turn scripts on (I don't post that much, and handcode what code I need). But the spoiler tags is a very, very plausible explanation. And one where not being able to open them is more than just a minor inconvenience.
mellaka
Human Avatar: 48736

Post by mellaka »

I use FF3 and Opera about equally for NC (one at work; one at home), but I voted for Opera since I'm sure FF will get many more votes.