New navigation bar - and the end of Neovision?

Post anything new on Neopets here.
Kantark

New navigation bar - and the end of Neovision?

Post by Kantark »

The News wrote:Update - In a couple of days the navigation bar at the top of the site is going to change. Neovision is going to be removed, and customisation will be added. There will also be a few other things that are moving around. Take a look at the image below to get an idea of what will be changing!
I wonder if that's it for Neovision altogether (the image below the news would suggest so), or is it just going to be lost and buried somewhere? I'd forgotten it even existed to be honest, as it was Flash Hell to my old computer. Had a look at it just now and the page wouldn't even load.

Any thoughts on the new nav bar? It seems they've just re-arranged most of the existing menus, inserting Customisation and removing Video. I don't know if that'll make the site easier to navigate for newbies, I'm used to getting around now but even to me a lot of the menus and links are not immediately obvious what they do and where they go, so a little tidying is probably in order.
Neopets: sparkygoesforth, decommissioned, nightfall, LiveJournal:kantark, Last.FM:Kantark
Usul_Princess

Re: New navigation bar - and the end of Neovision?

Post by Usul_Princess »

Unless they were revamping back to the 1.0 navigation and adding a little customize button on the side, this isn't much to get excited over for me. It took me 2 whole years to get used to how get around the site, and the 1.0 bar is still welcome back. I ignored the video button for the most part. As far as the customization button, I'd probably only like it there if all 4 of my pets were in the scroll down list, instead of just clicking a button for my active only on the main page.

Speaking of my active on the main page, I want her display box and her stupid 1 liners to go away too.
ImageImage

Thank you TCStarwind for the lovely signature! ^_^

FC bets: http://www.neopets.com/~DazedBoy
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Post by Jessi »

I don't even notice my pet talking anymore, so really, having them on the side of the screen doesn't annoy me at all. But I do agree that it'll be nice if the customize bar drops down to list all of your pets. I accidentally go to customize my main all the time when I don't mean to xD

I haven't watched a Neovision video since it first came out oh-so-long ago. I doubt many other people here have, either xD Can't say it'll be missed.
Usul_Princess

Post by Usul_Princess »

When Xsceena is my active, I tend not to notice it if her custom design is souped up. But (God forbid) that battledome pet such as Rendivir was my active, he'd say "My puny arms can't even lift a super attack pea!" line after line of this "take me to the BD" crap. *shudders*

But when I have a lab rat as my active, I make it content/unhappy on purpose because it will say less, and emo lines about "Why don't you just paint me grey if you're gonna leave me like this?" Are hysterical to me. xD
ImageImage

Iggy

Post by Iggy »

I, for one, will miss Neovision! It had great potential, but the potential was never achieved.

I did check it every once in a while, but I was expecting it to end eventually, as it was GREATLY neglected.
Kari

Post by Kari »

Huh, I wonder if this is why they suddenly awarded me a Neovision Director Champion trophy (x2, since I've made two videos), 10k NP for each, and two rare petpets? Though you'd think if they were making a trophy for it they'd be keeping it around...
derp
Noble fauf

Post by Noble fauf »

Well, the new navigation bar is up. The *customize* section includes customize neopet (only your active), inventory (I'm not sure why), closet, storage shed, neohomes, and create-a-pet (but not safety deposit box :( ).

And...Neovision is officially gone!. I went to the direct link to neovison and it's confirmed...not that I really mind that much.

http://www.neopets.com/video/down.phtml
Usul_Princess

Post by Usul_Princess »

On HW and V-Day themes, the buttons don't match the text. Hopefully they'll fix that :? But I really like an inventory button. We were WAAAY overdue for one.
ImageImage

Madge

Post by Madge »

Yeah, it's not like you can get to your inventory by clicking on the NPs you have in your hand or anything.
Usul_Princess

Post by Usul_Princess »

Madge wrote:Yeah, it's not like you can get to your inventory by clicking on the NPs you have in your hand or anything.

...You can do that? :P *checks* Never even noticed it. Wow, two different ways to get to my inventory. Neato! I've been clicking on Neopia Central, Inventory for the entire 2 years.
ImageImage

Iggy

Post by Iggy »

It's also looking odd on my portal bar. :(
EofS

Post by EofS »

Usul_Princess wrote:
Madge wrote:Yeah, it's not like you can get to your inventory by clicking on the NPs you have in your hand or anything.
...You can do that? :P *checks* Never even noticed it
You've been able to do it since, what, 2003? Something like that. Way back when, clicking on your np total used to take you to a bizarre page - something about how to get neopoints? I don't really remember. And then a really, really, really long time ago, it switched to your inventory. And has been that way ever since.
Iggy

Post by Iggy »

Way back when, clicking on your np total used to take you to a bizarre page - something about how to get neopoints?
Nope!

It was a list of nP amounts and the things they symbolised, like the amount you started with, and the amount you could gain from Scorchy Slots, or something horribly DATED liked that. :D
Madge

Post by Madge »

It was also a guide to earning NPs, definitely - it had a list of NP amounts and places you could earn them.

I actually thought it was pretty good and it's definitely a more appropriate destination for a link that's in your on-hand neopoints as far as user interface design goes.

I tried to find it on archive.org but apparently Neopets has excluded itself? :(
Usul_Princess

Post by Usul_Princess »

EofS wrote:
Usul_Princess wrote:
...You can do that? :P *checks* Never even noticed it
You've been able to do it since, what, 2003? Something like that. Way back when, clicking on your np total used to take you to a bizarre page - something about how to get neopoints? I don't really remember. And then a really, really, really long time ago, it switched to your inventory. And has been that way ever since.

Heheh, all the quotes within quotes goin' on. EoFS, back then on the 1.0 sidebar there was a big honkin' button that said "Shops", with the pretty picture inventory button. I'm just used to clicking on 2 links to get there. I'm not all that observant, but I'm sure I knew about it once upon a time.

I think I'll stick with the excuse that I favorited all my links post 2.0 (including inventory), and my overall wained interest doesn't help my long-term memory loss.
ImageImage