Altador Cup 2011

Post anything new on Neopets here.
Goldenchaos

Re: Altador Cup 2011

Post by Goldenchaos »

Is there a guide on how to play this game, and where to shoot from?.. I've only managed to score five points each time.

Total of 15 points. Previous years, I'd be at rank 1 already. Ugh.. I really wanted to go All Star this year too
Image Image
ImageImage
Xelio

Post by Xelio »

If you have some luck, the method I posted on the last page does work for the first 10 goals before the other team gets too fast to let you pull it off. Even still, I hate this new version of YYB. The auto-selection of character is what kills it the most. The game can't make up it's mind who I should control when the opposing goalie has the ball while the computer always is controlling all it's players and can steal from my goalie to score. I am not given the same option, as more often than not the game chooses not to let me control anyone while the opposing goalie has the ball. Also, you can't strategically go for powerups to help reclaim the ball when the game forces you to suddenly be controlling someone on the opposite side of the screen, if it can make up who you control at all. More than one in the 20 games I've played now the ball has been equidistant from two my players and the game tossed me back and forth between controlling those two while I helplessly watched the entire opposing team converge on the ball, making it a virtual nightmare to try to get the ball back and get out of the pack without having it stolen. Simply put, this game bites hard.
Thanks Tiel for the lovely set!
Subeta - Neopets
lavender
Human Avatar: 168295

Post by lavender »

I joined up with Darigan, once again. However, I joined before discovering the new version. I couldn't get through one game. It's crazy. Maybe I'll give it another go, but... whatever. Despite not being an active Neopets player anymore, I always look forward to the Altador Cup. I finally have a computer of my own, so I was really excited to get to play more and hopefully get a better rank this year. Now that's unlikely (to say the least). Should I really spend time trying to get used to the new version considering how little I'm even on Neopets? Hmm. Might play MSN and SOSD just for the hell of it.

/BAWWWWW>
{neopets: _lavender} ImageImage Image {subeta: lavenderkennedy}
Alicorn
Human Avatar: 160932

Post by Alicorn »

Forever loyal, I joined Darigan. My poor pet Scythe_Sade is dressed to show off my Darigan spirit. XD
I don't plan to reach any certain rank. If I can reach the second lowest rank like I did last year that would be great. I just want to make some points for the prize shop. And also help out my fellow Darigans.

The new game, not sure about it. Kinda not happy because I just got the feel for the old game and then they go and change it. Though I'll probably get the feel of it as I play it more. It just can be hard to follow the ball at times, so making it hard to go after it and such.
Sig/Av by: thelonetiel
FaerieInGrey

Post by FaerieInGrey »

I'm on Haunted Woods :)

Darigan yooyu suggestion:
Say you're playing right to left. Run the ball all the way into the bottom left corner, so that the ball is flush up against both walls. Face straight left. Power up all the way and shoot. The ball should travel along the left wall and go into the goal sideways. It works ~80% of the time.
Kantark

Post by Kantark »

I can kinda play this now. I realised the complete inability to move anywhere was down to my prehistoric keyboard, changing that for a slightly more modern one made getting around the pitch a lot more straightforward. I've now got a grand total of 15 goals!

Having said that, we (Shenkuu) were absolutely Blattered* by Maraqua yesterday in all games - what on earth is that about?

* in other words, there was only one team in it :P
Neopets: sparkygoesforth, decommissioned, nightfall, LiveJournal:kantark, Last.FM:Kantark
mellaka
Human Avatar: 48736

Post by mellaka »

Xelio wrote:If you have some luck, the method I posted on the last page does work for the first 10 goals before the other team gets too fast to let you pull it off. Even still, I hate this new version of YYB. The auto-selection of character is what kills it the most. The game can't make up it's mind who I should control when the opposing goalie has the ball while the computer always is controlling all it's players and can steal from my goalie to score. I am not given the same option, as more often than not the game chooses not to let me control anyone while the opposing goalie has the ball. Also, you can't strategically go for powerups to help reclaim the ball when the game forces you to suddenly be controlling someone on the opposite side of the screen, if it can make up who you control at all. More than one in the 20 games I've played now the ball has been equidistant from two my players and the game tossed me back and forth between controlling those two while I helplessly watched the entire opposing team converge on the ball, making it a virtual nightmare to try to get the ball back and get out of the pack without having it stolen. Simply put, this game bites hard.
I agree with all that. It's quite frustrating. An additional problem I have is that when playing on an old keyboard, I can only seem to send 2 signals at a time. So, my player can walk forward and charge the ball, but not diagonally, and sudden changes in directions don't work either. It gets very frustrating when trying to get the ball back and shoot quickly, or if I don't line up my shot perfectly the first time - I wind up walking around in a square to try to set it up again. (My laptop at home doesn't seem to have this problem, only my desktop at work.)

I have been playing a lot, though not as much as previous years. I'd still like to try for all-star this year, and am on the verge of rank 6 at the moment.
DamionDarkheart

Post by DamionDarkheart »

Xelio wrote:More than one in the 20 games I've played now the ball has been equidistant from two my players and the game tossed me back and forth between controlling those two while I helplessly watched the entire opposing team converge on the ball
I spam the shift button when this happens and most times it works. Other times it glitches the uncontrolled players and they end up running in place.

Still not understanding the hatred.
"Blah blah blah into the pie, bitch." Image
Gumdrops

Post by Gumdrops »

Gumdrops wrote:Well, I got to rank 1. 50 games of YYB, 330 goals. No more of that.

MSN and SOSD are way faster. I can do MSN without really paying attention, so I'll probably focus on that one.

The only good thing about YYB is the darigan ball. You just have to get it to your scoring side and the opponent will inevitably score on themselves.

Man, I really lied about that. lol

I've gotten to rank 4 primarily through YYB (I got 1 pt in each of SOSD and MSN and 5 pts from SLSL), which I"ve come around on. It's not hard, just frustrating. I hate that the AI can steal from you so damn easily, and the fact that your goalie is basically useless. And of course the autoswitching sucks. It's so ridiculous when there are 3 or 4 players by the ball and it keeps going back and forth so much that there's no way you can actually pick up the ball.

I wish TNT would've kept the achievements thingies. It seemed like something that would be a decent motivator.
Goldenchaos

Post by Goldenchaos »

Damnit, forgot to put a vote in for the staff tournament..ffff..I bet they'll be an avatar and I will totally not get it.

Also, I keep seeing things about the Shift key, what does that do?
Image Image
ImageImage
Kantark

Post by Kantark »

Shift sends your other players back to their 'home' positions. It's very handy if they're getting in the way - which they usually are ;-)
Neopets: sparkygoesforth, decommissioned, nightfall, LiveJournal:kantark, Last.FM:Kantark
DamionDarkheart

Goldenchaos wrote:Damnit, forgot to put a vote in for the staff tournament..ffff..I bet they'll be an avatar and I will totally not get it.

Also, I keep seeing things about the Shift key, what does that do?

The staff tournament avatar is just a rerelease of last year's av
Alicorn
Human Avatar: 160932

Post by Alicorn »

I've been playing a few games at night after work. Wish I could do more though but every little bit helps right?
I'm just wanting to make it to rank 1 like I did last year. I'm not really good at any of these games so I don't really shoot high. ^-^; Though I must say I'm starting to get the hang of the new YYB. It's really annoying controlling the characters, defiantly with auto switch of players going on. That's how the other team gets most of their goals, when I suddenly get switched to the goalie and I end up running down or whatever and leave the whole net open. :p But other then that I have the hang of it. I've even done a couple of shut outs. :3 Oh and I just love it when they make a score in their own goal.
Sig/Av by: thelonetiel
DamionDarkheart

http://www.neopets.com/~xSorielx

Here's a helpful YYB guide written by one of the people on my team that hit all-star a couple days ago. I do it a bit different, but it's still helpful to the public at large
Usul_Princess

Post by Usul_Princess »

Is there a way to view ranks without joining a team? In the past, I've only played SS to get my way into level 1, so the YYB V2 won't really affect me. I'm more interested in sitting on the sidelines this year.
ImageImage

Thank you TCStarwind for the lovely signature! ^_^

FC bets: http://www.neopets.com/~DazedBoy