New plot: War of the Obelisk

Post anything new on Neopets here.
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Re: New plot: War of the Obelisk

Post by Jazzy »

I suspect it's a way to give as many people as possible avatars/site themes/boons. A permanent war is interesting to some extent - it's basically a battling daily, if you want to do it. (The reason why I say "to some extent" is because the enemies are still underpowered and the no-heal thing is tedious.)
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

The Order of the Red Erisim has won the most recent round and we're currently in a truce state. It seems that to get the boon/site theme/avatar you have to win 10 battles, which is convenient for me because I won something like 14. Anyone else win? The boons are a bit odd this round and I'm not sure which to pick.
Cranberry
Human Avatar: 183848

Post by Cranberry »

I was in the order this time, too... and yeah, the boons are odd! I was hoping for the stock one again.

Cartogriphication allows you to win every time when hunting for treasure in the faerie caverns. Doppelgänger allows you to use a one-use item twice in a fight (sometimes). Refreshed Quest Request allows you to refresh for a different faerie if you don't like the one your cookie/RE gives. Doctor who? full-heals all pets at the springs. Double Bubble seems to refill a healing potion after you use it, so you get two heals for the price of one (the user only tried with the actual essence of everlasting apple, but I assume it works for all). None of them seem that useful to me.
Fury

Post by Fury »

I knew I should have picked the Order! I am annoyed that I missed out on the avatar, ha. I hope that this battling will become a daily and won't stop once every team has won once... I would appreciate the opportunity to grab all 6 avatars for all of the factions.

I'm definitely going to hang out on the NeoBoards and jump on the bandwagon for the next skirmish. I want more avatars, gosh-darnit.
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

I actually fought enough to get the avatar/theme/boon this time, but yeah, those boons all seem pretty much useless. I was hoping for a chance at the Stock Market boon.
Gumdrops

Post by Gumdrops »

Yay, my Order won.

But yeah, the boons sucks. The Cartographication one is the only useful one (for me), so that's what I chose. I wanted the Stock Market one though.
thelonetiel
Human Avatar: 15268

Post by thelonetiel »

I wasn't really expecting the bookish Seekers to win, but I'm a little frustrated at the lack of participation prizes. Will we get a "booby prize" at the end that gives us a special avatar and sidebar? Or will we be the only team without them? I'll be pretty annoyed if because I was loyal to my team, I don't get any special perks (namely, avatar and sidebar, the boons sound only vaguely useful).

Or maybe as Fury said, this will be a repeating cycle that lets everyone get everything eventually if they are on a winning team. That might be nice. When the Seekers are the only team that haven't won, everyone will join them to get their avatar. :P

Though, I'd definitely participate more if this got any attention in the news or front page. I have barely remembered, and when I do, I don't feel like hunting for links. I know I'm a lazy player, but is a link to the Healing Springs on the front page really that much more important than the ongoing psuedo-war?
EofS

Post by EofS »

thelonetiel wrote:I know I'm a lazy player, but is a link to the Healing Springs on the front page really that much more important than the ongoing psuedo-war?
If you're fighting in it I imagine it's handy, given the lack of healing.

(It actually took me several seconds to remember how to get to the front page. Heh.)
Kamil
Not the nice one
Human Avatar: 72834

Post by Kamil »

Tiel, you can easily get to the plot opponents by using the link to the battledome on the inventory page. Once there just go to the tyrannian dome and there they all are. And if you want to see how many battles you've fought, there is a link at the top of all of the battledome pages that says something about returning to your faction leader if you need guidance, blah blah. Click that and you'll be able to see your totals and a timer for the event.

As far as the lack of healing goes, so much suck. But, if you can train to 100 at least, you can get lens flare; so long as they don't use it too and you can kill them in one hit (pretty simple with the tiny opponents on easy) then you won't sustain any damage.

I said before that I really wish Cranberry had been in charge of the neo battle revamp, but I thought about it and since my pet over there is lots bigger than my pet over here, etc., uh, yeah. I take it back. =D
Image Image
MM and Twofold rock, yo.
Fury

Post by Fury »

http://www.neopets.com/prehistoric/battleground/

Sign-ups are open again and this time the choice is between The Brutes, The Sway and The Awakened.

I'm gonna keep an eye on the NeoBoards to see where the majority lies but my first reaction is to side with The Brutes.
Cranberry
Human Avatar: 183848

Post by Cranberry »

I'm going with the Brutes this time. Hope I can make it three times in a row siding with the winners!
Gumdrops

Post by Gumdrops »

Oops, I forgot to choose a side. Damn.
Bif

Post by Bif »

Just to be clear, the fighting has started. Go battle now!

Also, from the editorial:
*greets awkwardly* So, can you tell us if there are two Sway avatars -- one for winning the war and another for the Sway winning a skirmish, or is there just one? ~stoicjohn
Faction avatars and site themes (and boons) are rewards for gaining access to the obelisk. The first group to do this was the Sway at the end of the Obelisk War, so they were awarded the first set. As we've since discovered, a mysterious oracle controls the obelisk and doesn't want the power to stay with one group for too long, hence the ongoing Battleground. One faction gains control for a limited period of time before a skirmish ensues to see who's next. If the Sway were to ever win control of the obelisk again via the Battleground, the Sway-themed rewards would also be given out again.
So it seems that if the Sway win again then those who haven't got the original "Sway won" avatar will get it, it will not be a different one. This makes me happy because I should be able to get that avatar that I missed out on.

I'm with the Brutes now, I really hope that they win. More avatars!!!
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

This almost makes it sound as if this is going to be an ongoing thing.
Bif

Post by Bif »

Wingsrising wrote:This almost makes it sound as if this is going to be an ongoing thing.
I thought that too. I wouldn't mind it to go on for quite a while so that I can try and get all the avatars. If this does go on for months on end I can see the neoboards really trying to get together and schedule everyone into the same faction for each round, on some sort of schedule.