Neopets sold by Viacom to some company I've never heard of

Post anything new on Neopets here.
Kantark

Neopets sold by Viacom to some company I've never heard of

Post by Kantark »

According to today's New Features (which you ought to read as there's a 150NC giveaway in it) Neopets is being sold to a company called 'JumpStart' - or Knowledge Adventure, Inc., according to their Wikipedia page - which appears to be a US-based educational software developer.

There are a few help topics that have also been released to try and explain what this means to us (badly summarised: your account is safe, your NC/NP is safe, we don't know the details of what is going to happen in the long term yet.)

Anyone heard of these people? Should we be concerned? I get the Spongebob reference but who's the Gelert plushie supposed to be?
Neopets: sparkygoesforth, decommissioned, nightfall, LiveJournal:kantark, Last.FM:Kantark
Goldenchaos

Re: Neopets sold by Viacom to some company I've never heard

Post by Goldenchaos »

I wonder if we could collect the NC on a side account.

Oh the Gelert is the Neopian version of the JumpStart mascot http://m.jumpstart.com/JumpstartNew/Ima ... r-kids.jpg

OH. You can collect it on a side! Snarkie posted on a thread that it's okay since it's a special day. https://24.media.tumblr.com/1027ba8ad2b ... o1_500.png
Image Image
ImageImage
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Post by Seerow »

The FAQ says collecting the items in a side account is fine.

Not sure if this will really affect too much. It seems odd that a staff member mentioned that Jumpstart was aiming for an older audience when it seems they mainly make kid games. Interesting to see what becomes of this I guess. I used to play the Jumpstart games when I was little, I'm surprised to learn they are still around.

I'm even more surprised that the company could afford to buy Neopets. I wonder how much it sold for.
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.
Madge

Post by Madge »

They couldn't make things worse than Viacom did, surely?????

Maybe it might properly renew my interest?????
Larkspurlane

Post by Larkspurlane »

So, what did you all put in the open-ended questions for the Jumpstart-led survey?

I hope they make the results public.

My main points were:
- rant about appalling customer service
- rant about them not taking my money (re: no "pay to unconvert" option in NC mall)
Thank you for the av and sig set!
Larkspurlane @ neo
Kantark

Post by Kantark »

Rant about there still being no 'unconversion' paint brush, (but followed by an acknowledgement that they've said time and again that this won't happen), plus some other stuff that I can't now remember.
Neopets: sparkygoesforth, decommissioned, nightfall, LiveJournal:kantark, Last.FM:Kantark
Gumdrops

Post by Gumdrops »

I didn't mention unconversion, mostly because TNT has been adamant that they want to forget about UC's.

I complained about all the kiddishness and saminess though. Every year it's been the same ol, same ol, with the same few events and once every 3 years or so we get a decent plot. I can't remember most of what else I mentioned, but I'm sure there was something about the scarcity of new avatars and sponsor games.
Tom
Human Avatar: 231218

Post by Tom »

I gave Altador Cup the worst score possible and complained about the lack of avatars (particularly new ones which look decent).
Subeta: Thomas