Trudy's Surprise! A new daily

Post anything new on Neopets here.
thelonetiel
Human Avatar: 15268

Trudy's Surprise! A new daily

Post by thelonetiel »

See the giant obnoxious slot machine on your Neopet's page yet? It's pretty hard to miss. I'd give you a link, but it seems to just show up, taking up about half the screen, on any Neopets page you visit until you spin?

Apparently it's a new daily, the more consecutive days you spin, the bigger your possible prize pool is. More here: TDN Forums Thread

They really should include an avatar with it. New avatars are always coveted and this seems like a no brainer to have one.
Trudy’s Surprise
A strange feeling nagged Trudy, a curious Ixi, for days. A forewarning of doom perhaps, she thought. Soon after, on one of her long, solitary walks that spanned the length and breadth of Neopia, something strange happened. She heard an unusual rustle in the bushes. Curious, she took a peek. Hidden among the bushes was a slot machine! ‘Ka-ching, ka-ching,’ it seemed to whisper. Trudy hesitated only for a moment before she succumbed to its call. She pressed the button on the machine, unsure of what she may unleash. To her amazement, she was awarded Neopoints. Trudy fell to the ground and cried with joy. She could finally afford a fancy frock for the ball.

From then on, Trudy took more walks, hoping luck would smile upon her again. And it did. She discovered she could play the machine once every day to win prizes. With each consecutive day, the number of Neopoints awarded increased. Occasionally, the machine was extra generous and gave her a Gift Box. On the 25th day of playing, she won a phenomenal number of Neopoints!

After 25 days, things changed, leaving Trudy puzzled. This FAQ[sic: link broken anyway], helped her make sense of everything, though.
My cynical streak: JumpStart is struggling to keep members returning consistently and have resorted to more obvious bribes, probably using the Advent Calendar as a data point in most consistent member return rates.
On the other hand: Artwork looks good, up to my usual standards for Neopets art. Not like a lot of what I've been seeing lately.
Kantark

Re: Trudy's Surprise! A new daily

Post by Kantark »

This is bizarre. Who at TNT thought that what the Neopian economy really, really needs right now is quantitative easing? It's like the exact opposite of the NP sinks that TNT has used to counter NP inflation in the past (the Wheels, Kad feeding, etc.). It's spewing NP directly into the economy at rates of up to 100kNP per account per day, it's unavoidable, and it also operates on side accounts. Clearly it's intended to increase daily visits, and with people tempted to log into their sides to collect the daily bonus it'll presumably also drive up the number of apparently active accounts - but at what cost to the site?

Trudy's walked the length and breadth of Neopia, no mean feat, and yet cries with joy at the thought of buying a new frock? New shoes, maybe...
I also doubt the ability of a slot machine to continue functioning if left in an outdoor environment for any significant length of time.

---------

Something to bear in mind too - at the end of today's New Features is this rather ominous message:
TNT wrote:A NOTE FROM TNT: Before we all head off into the weekend, we thought we'd take this opportunity to suggest some basic account security reminders. Please visit the Official TNT board for a list of ways to keep your account safe!
Which links to this:
TNT wrote:We thought we'd take this opportunity to suggest some basic account security reminders.

1. Passwords - Protect your Neopets password by making sure it is not used anywhere else! Especially fansites or mail providers that associate your username or email with your account! Do not use the same password for months on end.

2. Email - Make sure your email address on Neopets is current. This is very important! If you ever need to retrieve your password you will need access to this email address. Just go to http://www.neopets.com/email_change.phtml to make sure yours is current and to update it.

3. PIN - Create one "just in case" here: http://www.neopets.com/pin_prefs.phtml.

4. Cookies - Clear your cookies and cache on a regular basis. They should at least be cleaned out monthly.

5. Remember the old adage: "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is".

6. The buying and selling of Neopoints, Neopoint items, and Neopets is strictly against the Terms of Use. Anyone trying to sell these has stolen them and should not be encouraged.
Which kinda confirms the rumours on a couple of sites that CGers have been active over the past few days. Don't have nightmares, stay safe out there.
Neopets: sparkygoesforth, decommissioned, nightfall, LiveJournal:kantark, Last.FM:Kantark
thelonetiel

Post by thelonetiel »

I cannot believe how much money this thing is giving out. I've been doing nothing but spinning that wheel once a day since it came out (and admittedly missed a day) and have make over 100k. When I was a newbie, that would have been an incredible fortune.

I could do nothing but spin this thing every day and achieve a Baby Paint Brush in, what, three months? If I were a newbie this would be amazing (as it is I'm jaded and unhappy with no goals for any money I earn). But there isn't enough fixed price permanent stocking items (coughHiddenTower) to make this okay. The economy will swell painfully at this rate.

It makes me want to buy a bunch of stuff as investment. Or at least things I kinda want and don't want to see inflate.
Kantark

Post by Kantark »

With that much cash available for clicking a button you can't really avoid (well, unless you deselect it in Site Prefs) there's not much of an incentive to play games any more, is there? Just for trophies/avatars I suppose. The old technique of making games like Dice-A-Roo intended to get the pageview count up has been superseded by one designed to get the return rate up instead.

After 10 consecutive days of playing, Trudy has stabilised at 19k a day for a standard result (two symbols matched). So far (day 16) I'm on a cumulative total of 214,125NP plus two gift boxes. This includes a couple of bonuses for not matching any symbols - only TNT could come up with a game where you win more if you lose!
Neopets: sparkygoesforth, decommissioned, nightfall, LiveJournal:kantark, Last.FM:Kantark
mocksong

Post by mocksong »

thelonetiel wrote:When I was a newbie, that would have been an incredible fortune.
Very true! I'm a new player and have been able to buy things I've had my eye on right away thanks to this daily. There is no incentive to play games because on average, I make 20K a day on dailies! It has really cut down my time on Neopets which is good for my real life :D
Kantark

Post by Kantark »

The results are in from my first 25 days of Trudy's (context-)free money machine... a grand total of 468625NP and 3 gift boxes. If I shamelessly extrapolate that to cover an entire year of daily collecting that's around 6.85 million.

So you could buy...

A Pirate Draik Egg after two and a half weeks
or a baby paint brush after 1 month
or Maractite PB after two months and two and a half weeks
or Sword of Skardsen after 'just' a year and seven-and-a-half months.
thelonetiel

Post by thelonetiel »

Did you get the promised 100k on Day 25, Kantark?

For the record, I totally bought a Pirate Draik Morphing Potion for 300k the other day, purely with these proceeds. I think I might morph DunnRaven, since that character died with customization and 8 years seems like long enough to brood. I always liked the new Royalboy Draiks, though I'm now balking at the idea of the brush costing so much more than the draik part!
Color Wheel

Post by Color Wheel »

I got the 100K yesterday, but now I'm back down to 2K. I'm guessing it resets once you reach that point (defiantly a good thing).
Kantark

Post by Kantark »

Yep, I got the 100K yesterday too - despite only matching two symbols.
Color Wheel

Post by Color Wheel »

Aaand suddenly Trudy's isn't showing up fro me anywhere. Anyone else having this problem?
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Post by Seerow »

I got the 100k the a few days ago, and it reset on me. Mine still shows up for me though Color Wheel. Have you tried turning off adblock or switching browsers or anything?
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.
Kantark

Post by Kantark »

Mine didn't show up yesterday but did today - I guess it's either glitchy now, or maybe it gets suspended for a day or two after you complete a 25-day sequence? Let us know if it shows up tomorrow!
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

Mine showed up late, I think it might possibly have appeared 24 hours after last spinning, rather than automatically for the new day.

I was wondering if they might have taken it down, and was hoping a bit that they had. It would have been really interesting if they'd made it such that you can only use it until you get the jackpot once, then it disappears forever (so the strategy would be to always make it to 24 or so days, then deliberately miss a day and start over). Would have been like the old joke:
Little Johnny is always being teased by the other neighborhood boys for being stupid. Their favorite joke is to offer Johnny his choice between a nickel and a dime -- Little Johnny always takes the nickel.
One day, after Johnny takes the nickel, a neighbor takes him aside and says, "Johnny, those boys are making fun of you. Don't you know that a dime is worth more than a nickel, even though the nickel's bigger?"
Johnny says, "Well, if I took the dime, they'd stop doing it."
Color Wheel

Post by Color Wheel »

It did appear eventually, though not until I clicked through a few pages. Not sure what's causing the delay, but everything seems to be working correctly.
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

To clarify things: the wheel appears again 24 hours after you last spun it, not on the next Neo day. You don't actually need to spin it every Neo day to get the prize, I think you have a 24-hour window from it first appearing. I spun the wheel at something like 2pm NST on Friday and didn't spin it at all on Saturday, because I did all my dailies too early for it to reappear (would expect it to reappear at 2pm NST on Saturday). It's now Sunday, about 7am NST, and I just spun it and it didn't count as a missed day.