Neocash cards

Post anything new on Neopets here.
oogabooga

Neocash cards

Post by oogabooga »

Not sure if this really merits a new topic, but it didn't really seem to fit with any of the recent ones.

If you go to the mall now, there's a small button on the side that says "Neocash cards coming soon" - clicking on it takes you to this page, which says that in three days you'll be able to buy them at Target (only in the US, naturally :P). There's a PIN that you can use once the card is activated.

So this looks like a way to be able to give someone Neocash, now. If you buy the card and tell somebody else the PIN, they can redeem it themselves. (It's also a way for kids and others without credit cards to get Neocash, which I'm sure was more important to them. And advertising.)
Illuen

Re: Neocash cards

Post by Illuen »

I've told this to a few people who cannot purchase Neocash in their area, but I will throw it out here as well. If you want Neocash, I will buy cards and then sell them to board members, for the same price that I pay for them. What I'll end up doing for most people (to be honest, if I don't know you well enough to trust you, I may not keep this exact offer) is buying the cards, and giving them the codes BEFORE they pay me, so you can be assured that I will not scam you =D. If you are interested, PM me or poke me on MSN, and next time I am in Target, I will check to see if they have them in yet.
No spoony bard could spin a sweeter tale.
Rainbow Daydreamer

Post by Rainbow Daydreamer »

While I'm all for more people being allowed to play with the NC Mall, this idea seems a little odd. Isn't Neocash meant to be a way for people to donate money to the site? As such, why would anyone want a Realworld shop to act as middleman (and, presumably, take a cut of the money)?

Also, I've said this before and I'll say it again; for a site founded by two Brits, they sure care about the US about a thousand times more than they do us lot. You guys get EVERYTHING before we do/instead of us (I've got my fingers crossed it's the former, even though I won't be back in the UK until Christmas.)
Visit Semiveteran Logic, disliked by eight out of ten Meepits.
nanabobo567

Post by nanabobo567 »

A card for online moneys only buyable at Target? Nexon cash is more important to me, thanks. Poor, poor Penguin... I'll restore you someday!
Seerow wrote:Aww Nana, I didn't think you meant you were literally dead last night :(
daisybell

Post by daisybell »

Rainbow Daydreamer wrote:While I'm all for more people being allowed to play with the NC Mall, this idea seems a little odd. Isn't Neocash meant to be a way for people to donate money to the site? As such, why would anyone want a Realworld shop to act as middleman (and, presumably, take a cut of the money)?
And Paypal doesn't take a cut of the money? Of course they do. It's just a different middleman, selling in a shop. But if you can't use Paypal (no credit or debit card, especially if you're too young) then a cash card you can buy in shops is the next best thing. The economics of it are all very different, of course, since the "goods" in the cash shop are available in unlimited numbers- once TNT have "manufactured" one copy, then multiple copies cost nothing to them. They will have to factor in the cost of making the cards, and Target will want a cut for distributing and selling them, but obviously they think it's worth it because after that it's all pure profit; considering many of the target market are in an age group where buying from a shop with cash is fine but Paypal isn't an option it makes sense to have a scheme like this.

Plus, it means that a kid whose parents wouldn't otherwise want them to spend money online could spend their pocket money on a cash card instead of on chocolate, and the parents wouldn't know.
Rainbow Daydreamer wrote:Also, I've said this before and I'll say it again; for a site founded by two Brits, they sure care about the US about a thousand times more than they do us lot. You guys get EVERYTHING before we do/instead of us (I've got my fingers crossed it's the former, even though I won't be back in the UK until Christmas.)
When the two Brits moved to America and sold to an American, the focus was going to shift to the US, there was no doubt about it. It sucks, but it's the way it works, and now Adam and Donna don't even work in the US any more the site is getting progressively more American. Also, the US is a bigger market. Another factor is that Nexon already has the system set up for its cash cards in Target stores, and since they're working in partnership with TNT on the Neopets cash shop, it was an obvious step to take- I'm guessing Neo is piggybacking on top of the system Nexon have for their cash cards. Bearing in mind that even Canada doesn't have Nexon cash cards yet, according to Wikipedia, the UK will be a long long way behind.
Neopets wishlists: here
yvonne_l_d

Post by yvonne_l_d »

Rainbow Daydreamer wrote:While I'm all for more people being allowed to play with the NC Mall, this idea seems a little odd. Isn't Neocash meant to be a way for people to donate money to the site? As such, why would anyone want a Realworld shop to act as middleman (and, presumably, take a cut of the money)?
Well, I don't think they ever reffered to the money generated as "donations". They're definitely making a profit. (Which, in itself is neither good nor bad.) Selling cash cards is probably the most efficient way to make profit.
If you're ever in doubt, throw a pepper in the air. If it fails to come down, you have gone mad, so don't trust in anything.
- Gregory Maguire, "Mirror, Mirror"
-----------------------------
On Neopets: yvonne_l_d
On Subeta: myshadowandme
Iggy

Post by Iggy »

The rare item codes you get out of these are totally Yummy.

If someone claims a Bottled Scorchio Breath or an Earth Faerie Mirror, PM me. I badly badly want these. I'd sell my soul and my liver for that ;)