New 404s

Post anything new on Neopets here.
Fjorab_Teke
Human Avatar: 271433

New 404s

Post by Fjorab_Teke »

I'm terribly easily amused. I think this makes up a little for all the "art disappointment" I've been feeling lately.

http://www.neopets.com/hidude

I love the new (OMG HUGE RED) artsy 404 message images. And of course they've kept (and probably expanded upon) the clever accompanying text.

"Quoth the server: 404"
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Re: New 404s

Post by Jazzy »

Are you sure? I don't see any red on there at all; they look like the old ones, with the really old pets (I'd forgotten just how bad Korbats and Chias were).
daisybell

Post by daisybell »

http://images.neopets.com/images/jumbo404_2.gif
http://images.neopets.com/images/jumbo404_1.gif
http://images.neopets.com/images/jumbo404_3.gif
http://images.neopets.com/images/jumbo404_4.gif

Are the new 404 graphics... I see them just fine. They're kind of neat, although their huge redness might get tiring, but I don't often go staring at 404s so it shouldn't be a problem.
Neopets wishlists: here
Fjorab_Teke
Human Avatar: 271433

Post by Fjorab_Teke »

Yeah, it seems that some of the new features (and notably the News) are in a funky flux. Some people can see them, some people can't, and others (like me) have reported that it took forever for stuff to show up, it finally did, then it disappeared again.
oogabooga

Post by oogabooga »

The "Muahahaha! This page has been destroyed!" message is rather nonsensical without Dr. Sloth there.
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

Ooh, very interesting. I see the 404 page as the old version in Firefox (where, possibly coincidentally, I'm logged in) and the new version in Epiphany (where I'm not). I wonder what's happening there.
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

Wouldn't ordinarily double post, but I'm bumping this to say that it turns out it's not just the 404s - have a look at the new error page if you try and zap a pet twice in one day, for example.
checkers

Post by checkers »

Jazzy wrote:Wouldn't ordinarily double post, but I'm bumping this to say that it turns out it's not just the 404s - have a look at the new error page if you try and zap a pet twice in one day, for example.
Could someone please take a screen-shot? I no longer have a Lab Ray account.
daisybell

Post by daisybell »

That's the new form of the error page, the lab one is almost identical except the text is just "ERROR : You can only use the lab once a day."
zebru
Human Avatar: 156237

Post by zebru »

You also get a similar looking message when you try to buy an item that no longer exists in the shop or attempt to buy an item costing more than you have on hands. I can't say I'm terribly fond of it, it looks somehow alien to general look of Neopets.
Image Image
Snazzy reborn meepit by NyauNyau neopets * subeta
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

Bright red is so unattractive. Also, because my glasses have such a strong prescription, and they're high index, I can make bright red move around by tilting my head, and that's kind of fun to do with error messages like that. (I mean, e.g., the "Oops!" stays put, and the red bar around it slides up and down. It's kind of surreal. Neon lights are the most fun. I can separate purple into red and blue.)
Image Image
Kantark

Post by Kantark »

zebru wrote:...it looks somehow alien to general look of Neopets.
Agreed - no trademark Neopets yellow, no Neopets logo, not even those stars from the logo that they like to put on anything. I wonder if either they're planning on re-adjusting the look of the site to suit, or maybe these pages are in a similar style to those on other websites belonging to MTV Networks? The old heffaklump(?) font from the old page header images is being phased out it seems.
Neopets: sparkygoesforth, decommissioned, nightfall, LiveJournal:kantark, Last.FM:Kantark
daisybell

Post by daisybell »

I don't even think of Neopets yellow as being that Neopets-y any more, partly because I'm always logged in and I don't use the yellow site theme and haven't in a long time. Now all accounts can use other coloured themes, it isn't the signature colour it used to be.

Heffaklump is still in use, in the top navigation bar and site logo, but not that much elsewhere- a lot of the loss is in the page header banners, but it's the font Coolvetica which has really been lost as that was only in use in the faded text behind. I prefer a minimal use of Heffaklump, which isn't really suited to being a general use sort of font IMO.

It is still quite a departure from the old ones, because there is such a lack of Neopets branding, or anything that looks distinctively Neopets-y - unlike the 404s, which retain the navigation, an approach which is rather more helpful to the person who has gone astray. But why not keep the navigation for these other errors too? Either you'll want to go to some other Neopets page or you want to close the page, in the latter case it doesn't matter but in the former it would be helpful to have it there. It could be because the other error pages are as a result of a php error and not a html one and therefore use a different mechanism.
maraqua_wqh_4

Post by maraqua_wqh_4 »

All TNT's 404 are cool...
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod
Human Avatar: 166931

Post by Joey »

Please do not bump threads that are more then 2 months old, especially when you're not adding anything to the discussion.

Locking, but if anyone does want to add something to the discussion, I'll be happy to unlock it.