Ads in flash games?

Post anything new on Neopets here.
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Ads in flash games?

Post by Wingsrising »

I don't know when this started, but I just noticed today that games are sometimes loading in the existing window instead of in a new window. Sometimes they load in a new window. Either way, they usually (but don't always) seem to have a bar at the top indicating the current high scores and number of plays, as well as a great deal of gray space. Based on comments on PPT I had thought these spaces might contain ads that Adblock was just removing, but looking on IE I think that at the moment they're just gray for me... however, one of the gray spaces did contain that little black "advertisement" bar that appears next to ads, so I suspect that ads are coming, though.

This development does not please me.

I always use adblock, so looking at my IE account I was shocked by how many ads Neo has these days. How depressing.

The new annoying pictures at the top of my inventory and shop piss me off, too... and apparently there's a NEW ad there that I don't see because I have it Adblocked and CSSed away. Is there a way to CSS the annoying Aisha away, too?
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Re: Ads in flash games?

Post by Seerow »

And I thought Neop couldn't get any gaudier. Why does Neo love partitioning everything in boxes? Most everything on a page is now divided into its own little box, which drives me crazy (though I suppose some people must like it).

You were right too Wingsrising, there is now another ad on the inventory page. Its a box ad just to the right of the stupid Aisha. Games also keep loading in the page for me too, though I can't yet say how well I like or dislike it.
I don't think the gray is for ads as much as for the varying sizes of the games so they they would all fit since the loading area seems to be the same size for all the games.
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.
Kari

Post by Kari »

Well, ugh. I can't load up large screen games like Snow Wars 2 and Princess Lunara in Large mode because due to the new border, they get cut off at the bottom. And Kass Basher isn't loading for me at all.

They changed the "Your Shop" page to be like the inventory one too, complete with a little ad.
derp
Fabled

Post by Fabled »

Oh TNT, why do you always insist on fixing what isn't broken.

I don't like the changes. I have adblock so I don't see any ads anywhere but the banner at the top of the games takes up too much space. There are certain positions that I like to have the game boxes at on my screen because it enables me to play the game better. Crisis Courier is a good example, where the box must be at the very top, in the right corner. It helps with controlling the Yooyu more with my mouse.

Another thing, when playing The Search for Princess Lunara on the regular 800x600 setting (which is usually a small box on my computer), it now looks like this. Notice the top bar is up past the top of the screen and how the bottom of the game is cut off. I never look at the # of plays or the high scores list for a game on its game page, why do I now have to see it when playing?

Another bad example of the above is Meerca Chase. I've always played it on the large setting and this is what I'm currently starting at. I can't even play at that setting because the button to begin the game isn't there anymore. So now I'm forced to play a smaller version which, for some games, is difficult. I like to see what I'm doing.
Goldenchaos

Post by Goldenchaos »

Well thats a silly move on their part..
Image Image
ImageImage
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

This would have been a much better April Fool's prank. ^_~
Image Image
Seerow

Post by Seerow »

Hey, it looks like they changed the games again! They are all loading in windows for me instead of in that stupid box on the screen.
daisybell

Post by daisybell »

Kass Basher (I almost typed Whack a Kass there) and Magax are loading in the same window, but HATIC loads in a new window, as does Freaky Factory... I think it depends on the game. HATIC always did load in a separate window, though, and I think that was because it uses the Shockwave plugin.
Neopets wishlists: here
Seerow

Post by Seerow »

Its weird, they are back to loading in the page itself. Meerca chase had its own little popup when I posted my last message, and now its back to being embedded in the page :(
Fjorab_Teke
Human Avatar: 271433

Post by Fjorab_Teke »

It seems that to me the game loads in the existing window most of the time if I just leave the game screen size as the default or make it smaller. If I make it bigger (like I do in Meerca Chase and it also happens with Kass Basher) it will load in a new window.

I'm Premium, so I'm not really subjected to most of the fugly. Ah yes, things are so easily ruined by the need for money....