Peophin Day Site Art

Post anything new on Neopets here.
Fjorab_Teke
Human Avatar: 271433

Peophin Day Site Art

Post by Fjorab_Teke »

Ew, EW! On top of that huge cancerous blob on the new Snow Peophin's neck, it looks like a bunch of non-artists went in on some Peophin site art.

The Caption Contest picture is absolutely brain-shattering, and some of the "fun images" are almost as bad.

Sometimes it really doesn't help to be a horse lover AND have some visual expectation that the front half of the Peophin should resemble one. I can understand the artistic license of stylization creativity, but these are just - wow ugh no. The legs especially bother me in the toys and Caption Contest.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Re: Peophin Day Site Art

Post by AngharadTy »

Will you link to them for criticism purposes? Hee. I don't go on Neopets anymore, but I'm still interested in what they put out... maybe moreso if I can mock? ^_~
Image Image
Fjorab_Teke

Post by Fjorab_Teke »

"Spoilered" the Caption Contest for size and fugly.
Spoiler: open/close
Image Image Image
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Post by Seerow »

Its not just the Peophin day art, its sadly most of the site art in general. Maybe I've just been spoiled by Subeta too long with all their lovely lovely items, but these just seem so lackluster and dated. Its depressing when they release items such as these since I know their artists are capable of more.

Peophin day does show a real lack though, the Peophins are all deformed and they couldn't even bother to come up with two different toys, just reused the same image.
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.
Fjorab_Teke

Post by Fjorab_Teke »

Yeah, I've noticed and been surprised that nobody else has made posts like this one in quite a while.

I'm just so picky when it comes to horsey stuff, and I know what (at least some of) the Neopets artists are capable of, so it's doubly disappointing. Odd stylizations don't bother me when I'm expecting it not to be realistic at all. Heck, even I have drawn totally whacked-out looking horses, but I had a certain stylization in mind and still kept body parts in some form of appropriate placements. BUT...when it gets to the utter brokenness of that Caption Contest image, for example, there's no way my eyes can forgive it.

Oh, there's another image that makes me scratch my head - the Peophin in the inflatable pool. I wonder how that's possible...
The rest of the Fun Images are malformed too.
Image Image Image
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Post by Jessi »

Wow, that caption contest really is hideous .___. I didn't get a good look at it in the news, and now I wish I never had.

I'm sorry, but the little dart spitting toy looks so wrong to me. Maybe I'm just terribly dirty, but it really does look wrong.

It's sad, because I don't think ALL new items released on Neopets have been bad - I still think Neopets has some of the prettiest item art I've ever seen on any site - but the stuff here does look terribly old.
Seerow

Post by Seerow »

Jessibean wrote:I'm sorry, but the little dart spitting toy looks so wrong to me. Maybe I'm just terribly dirty, but it really does look wrong.
Ohh, it's not just you. I had to stare at it for a few minutes earlier to figure out what it was actually doing isn't what I thought it was doing. And I'm not usually a dirty minded person.
Iggy

Post by Iggy »

Over the past weeks, item art has been overall sad, on Neopets :(
Officer 1BDI
Human Avatar: 150891

Post by Officer 1BDI »

It took me a few seconds to figure out what everyone's talking about because I was too distracted by the shoddy art. That is... really poor placement at the very least.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the staff vacations mentioned in the news; like the artists were rushing to get too many things done before then. The art's been terrible at other times, but this crappy peophin stuff coupled with the Altador Cup prizes and some of the other stuff released this week (some of the cookies, those citrus notebooks, those half-arsed gliders at the bottom of the news) makes me wonder.
Seerow

Post by Seerow »

It might be because of the soon to be released Neohomes version 2, Keyquest, and some petpetpet habitat thingy.
I got to beta test keyquest (silly Neo, I still have premium though I stopped paying over a year ago) and I wasn't all that impressed with the art or game, so I hope that isn't the excuse for the shoddy art.

The petpetpet habitat items are very cute though, so hopefully the artists have been hard at work on that :D
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

The clothes disappointment me, too. Four items? That's it?

(I still don't see anything dirty about the dart thing...)
Kamil
Not the nice one
Human Avatar: 72834

Post by Kamil »

LEGS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY!

That peophin in the Caption Contest image is the scariest thing I think I've seen all . . . well, in a v.v.v.long time. *flees from it*
Image Image
MM and Twofold rock, yo.
WisteriaLynx
Human Avatar: 319191

Post by WisteriaLynx »

Wow. I can't even tell what the expression on the CC Peophin's face is *supposed* to be. It probably doesn't help that my Inner "Tales of" Fan is providing me with the suggestion that it's in "ruins mode" over some lost, ancient hidden treasure. But yeah... this is really... lackluster is the nicest word I can come up with, since I know the artists can do so much better than this. (And as for the anatomy of the Peophin in the pool... no supposed-to-be-witty comment I make could hope to do that justice.)

(I don't get the darts thing, either.)
Fjorab_Teke

Post by Fjorab_Teke »

Thanks a LOT Jessi! :P Now I see there's definitely something wrong with the toys other than the legs (if you have a filthy mind and think of other anatomy). I could have been blissfully unaware of that in favor of the distraction of OMGdoesnotworkthatway legs.

And yeah, I also get the hopeful suspicion that the other artists are working on something big behind the scenes.
Iggy

Post by Iggy »

The petpetpet habitat items are very cute though, so hopefully the artists have been hard at work on that
These are some of the loveliest items I've seen, seriously. The small buildings are so cute! =D