Editorial Time!

Post anything new on Neopets here.
Larkspurlane

Re: Editorial Time!

Post by Larkspurlane »

:D :D Madge.

I'm watching the PC & "OFFER BACKED OUT" boards are cropping up with alarming frequency. @_@
Thank you for the av and sig set!
Larkspurlane @ neo
Madge

Post by Madge »

I do so love how TNT can just contradict themselves so horrifically.

Trading is such a pain in the arse, you'd think they'd just contradict themselves one final time and make it illegal. I have received so many mails about my pets it drives me nuts.

Including one person who was like "I'm trying to get a UC Tyrannian Krawk and am wondering which of these offers would be "worth" a krawk, so if you were ever, hypothetically, going to offer yours for trade, which of these offer/s would meet the threshold for being worth it". it's like, REALLY, did you just neomail me saying "price check on a tyrannian krawk"!?!?!?!

I'm so fucking happy that I got my tyrannian pets and faerie peophin before customisation hit. I painted my faerie peophin literally a week before it hit.
Kantark

Post by Kantark »

We could assume they're being silly and don't know their rules from one week to the next but I'm more inclined to think they answered the earlier editorial question in good faith and then a user has pointed out "Well, what you've described there is effectively paying NP for a pet, which you don't allow". And they've gone "Oh, bugger!". And this week's answer is basically a correction of their earlier advice. Without any sort of "This answer supercedes all previous similar answers" to eliminate ambiguity, leaving the two conflicting answers hanging like a big question mark over the legality of doing it either way. And as Jazzy's already pointed out the 'new' way of doing it opens up a whole can of worms as well. Poor TNT! They really can't win - trying to please all of the people all of the time.
Neopets: sparkygoesforth, decommissioned, nightfall, LiveJournal:kantark, Last.FM:Kantark
Madge

Post by Madge »

I still don't get why they continue to allow pet trading - removing it removes all the problems.

Of course, it'll drive MORE people nuts since it's become something of a past time for many people, and it's kind of good to know that I can trade a lab zap I don't want for something I might want.

We should have a board which is all "let's figure out the optimal solution to problem X", and we all shoot down each other's ideas until we find one that nobody is shooting down. Then we quietly nod about how great we are.
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Post by Seerow »

You know, I think 99% of all the headaches TNT have over pet trading could be done away with if they just allow nps to get involved. Then it wouldn't matter if User X traded just the some random paint brush to User Y instead of going through the hoops of painting the pet themselves. There could be a new trade system implemented where you can offer either items, nps, or pets for the pet being traded, so no one is losing anything and it's much less riskier if someone backs out. After all, paint brushes aren't hard to resell.

"But they are pets, not items to be traded for monies!" also isn't really a valid excuse. To get a pet in real life, the majority of the time you have to actually pay for him/her.

So what if that means that Krawk A is valued more then Aisha B, with the current system it has more worth anyway so nothing is different, now it just has a numerical value attached.

There is probably something/several things inherently wrong with this, but I think it would solve a lot of issues TNT has with trading.
Last edited by Seerow on 28 Feb 2010 04:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.
Larkspurlane

Post by Larkspurlane »

Hahaha Madge. :D That's brilliant. The idea that no one is shooting down will end up being "LET'S MAKE A GRILLED CHEESE WITH BACON!"

Edit: Seerow, I'd love to say "that'll never happen!!1" but once upon a time, we all said pet trading would never happen, so... @_@
Larkspurlane @ neo
Madge

Post by Madge »

Yeah, allowing NP to change hands in pet trade would work just as well, but I seem to think it's very high in their mission statement that they don't want pets to be viewed as items?

Haha they fucked that up by allowing pet trades. Let us sell pets! That means my lab zaps would make me money, kaching!

It also, by extension, means the lab map will inflate even MORE ridiculously since I'm sure a zapped, say, faerie pet would sell for a couple of hundred k.

And RE: Grilled Cheese with Bacon - while I am wholeheartedly in favour, my boyfriend's a flippin' vegetarian so there is a potential objection there.

My new candidate for non-shoot-down-able idea is "Let's all smile at each other, hug one another, and give each other sincere, well thought out compliments."
Jax
Human Avatar: 475124

Post by Jax »

Madge wrote: My new candidate for non-shoot-down-able idea is "Let's all smile at each other, hug one another, and give each other sincere, well thought out compliments."
Yes but, what if I went to hug you and you suddenly decided you would much rather keep your hugs to yourself because you have grown too attached to your hugs?

Horrible joke aside, I agree we'll most likely see this retracted. Especially if a lot of people decide to email them the previous answer to this question. Is it really so hard for TNT to have one policy and just stick to that? Although given, this doesn't make me rage as much as the swearing one did eons ago

I personally would be against pet selling, even though it does happen it seems like it would just open the door to more and more people actually exchanging them for real cash (which again, happens, but in my naive nature I like to think it doesn't happen too often)
Marah
Human Avatar: 506145

Post by Marah »

My new candidate for non-shoot-down-able idea is "Let's all smile at each other, hug one another, and give each other sincere, well thought out compliments."
Madge, you look so great today!

Also as a vegetarian I have to vote against the grilled cheese with bacon idea. Now, if someone went and swapped the bacon with for example, pineapple, you have my vote!
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

I am also against the grilled cheese with bacon idea. I would prefer just the bacon, and perhaps the cheese. But not together and certainly not with bread.

And I object to the notion that someone can put a a price on hugs, free, which can ostensibly lead to putting a price on huggles. The audacity!

I think I've pretty much always said that pets should be treated no different than petpets when it comes to exchanges. But really, another route they could always go and I have yet to hear them do is just reduce the price and increase the suppy of paintbrushes and morphing potions. I mean, it's still crazy expensive to paint a pet anything but a colorfill(former), isn't it?
EofS

Post by EofS »

Some people would consider the hugging an invasion of their personal space.

Also, in amongst all this the other controversy of the editorial has been overlooked.
*Throws cookies* Help! I have a question: how many times can we play Qasalan Expellibox per day? The game says once; people on the Neoboards say twice, though! Is this a glitch? Can we play more than once? I LOVE Expellibox -- please let us know! Thanks for a great game! ~ elvin_duelist
We realise Qasalan Expellibox is a favourite game, but you are only allowed to play once per day. If we allowed it to be played more than once a day it would get clogged with scarabs and break down. Who would want that?
So why oh why oh why TNT is it possible to play more than once a day? If it's against the rules to play more than once a day, then don't bloody make it possible to. If it's a glitch that they've now sorted, could they not say "oops, that was a glitch but we've fixed that now, please do only play once a day".
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

And having just played it a second time today, I can confirm that this isn't one of those cases where the Editorial question has made them aware of a glitch, they've quietly fixed it, and then said "glitch? what glitch? it's always been like this!"
EofS

Post by EofS »

I don't want to get in trouble for exploiting a glitch, but often I genuinely can't remember whether or not I've done the expellibox on a day. I don't do my full dailies routine every day, so often I'll just do bank-expellibox-stocks or similar. Then later in the day when I do go through my dailies after all, I do so on autopilot. Or I just go "hmm, have I done the expellibox today?" and go and have a go.
Xelio

Post by Xelio »

Thanks TNT for changing the rules again. I now have someone mailing me, telling me I lied to them about the rules back when we traded months ago. She wanted to back out after her custom was made and I let her know she couldn't. At the time I sure wasn't lying to her. I'm not sure how to respond now, if I should at all. I wouldn't think she could try to get me frozen/warned for something done months ago, but I don't want to make her spazz out on me now if I point out the old editorial. I feel stuck.
Thanks Tiel for the lovely set!
Subeta - Neopets
Larkspurlane

Post by Larkspurlane »

M-my bacon grilled cheese got shut down. *tears*

Wow, Xelio, that is completely lame. I'd tell her that that was a recent policy change -- as in last week -- and that at the time of the trade, you, and all the rest of Neopia, were operating under the conditions stipulated in [editorial link goes here], so can she quit being a dipshit please?

And then splat her upside the head with a rotten Ptolymelon.
Larkspurlane @ neo