Strange new pet color?

Post anything new on Neopets here.
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Strange new pet color?

Post by Jessi »

I was off to JellyNeo this morning to get the prizes for Daily Dare to post, and they have a future caption contest posted for people to see:

My attention was drawn to the Wocky in the bottom corner. First, I wish Wockies looked like that :P But mostly, I was interested in the fact that we have no pets that DO look like that, color scheme wise, and in stuff like this they rarely use 'made up' colors.

So, speculations! Is this a new pet color in the works? Some kind of tree/leaves/i dunno color? Cause if so, that has the potential to be very neat. I like that sort of thing.
adi_gallia

Re: Strange new pet color?

Post by adi_gallia »

Ooh! Looks exciting, some sort of 'forest' colour has always been one of my most wanted colours and I think Misticpets is the only petsite with something similar and I never play it.
Iggy

Post by Iggy »

I...don't like it. At all.

I hope it's just a totem, or artistic liscence, because I really don't like it.
TCStarwind
Human Avatar: 99635

Post by TCStarwind »

If it is a new pet color, I can see it going two ways: really well or really horribly. The idea is cute at first, but if they're all going to be like the wocky, it'll end up being just another boring colorfill. Zombie started off great and then dwindled. It's not like they can redraw them and make them look awesome like in the old days. I can see it being okay if they did something like maraquan, where all the pets are somewhat different but related, but I can't get excited over a carved pet.
Jessi

Post by Jessi »

In my head, TCStarwind, I see it being more like Snow; a lot of it will depend on how many 'parts' a pet has to customize (for example, the wocky has the entire ruff to be turned into leaves; a grarrl which i can't spell doesn't have much of anything xD). Which means, yes, some pets will probably fail and some (like the Snow Buzz, for example) will be downright awesome.

Either way, I'm looking forward to a new pet color xD
Iggy

Post by Iggy »

The idea is cute at first, but if they're all going to be like the wocky, it'll end up being just another boring colorfill.
You win.

To elaborate on what I said earlier...it's just a dark brown Wocky with leaves tacked on. It's not special, and Neopets has too much colorfills colors for me to be excited over that one, especially since the art on the caption contest isn't great.
Jessi

Post by Jessi »

I think you're being a little bit harsh on your judgement - since it IS Just a caption contest. Who knows how the actual pets will turn out, if this is a real thing? Hell, sometimes colorfills are my favorite pets - on ANY site I play on. I still have a blue Xweetok who will be nothing BUT a blue Xweetok. Look at how many people hate strawberry and chocolate pets - including me - but how amazing things like the Strawberry and Chocolate Aishas turned out, or the Chocolate Chomby.

Any new color has potential, I think.
Iggy

Post by Iggy »

Yes, I'm harsh. I don't like the way it was done, at all. The wood looks SHINY.

btw, does wood shines like that, naturally?
daisybell

Post by daisybell »

Sure, wood shines if it's smoothed and polished. Look at parquet floors, they're very shiny and they're made of wood.

I'm not sure if it isn't just a kind of camo, but done a bit differently. Of course, the camo wocky is actually green and more blobby... it might be nice to have leafy garlands you could take off and use with other colours as clothing, but I don't think it would work like that. And there are some leafy garlands from the mystery island brush, anyway.

I don't expect to find it a really interesting colour, though it has to be better than snot and custard. And I'd rather they did forest than, say, barf. But I'd still rather they did Altador or Shenkuu colours- I guess they won't, though, because it would be mostly clothing.
Neopets wishlists: here
ChrisCool

Post by ChrisCool »

Hello, please, I need a little explanation : where do you see any particular colour 0_o ? I only see a basic and common blue Wocky, his shadow on the wall/leaves, and nothing else !?
daisybell

Post by daisybell »

You see a blue wocky? They must have changed it, though I can't make the altered version show up for me...

Can you see it here?

I uploaded it to my photobucket account directly from the url and it's still brown and wood-grained.
Neopets wishlists: here
Iggy

Post by Iggy »

With polish, yes, it does shine. But, the question was about natural means. :) Would I come across a tree shining like that?

;)
Jessi

Post by Jessi »

Yeah, I hard-refreshed it and I see nothing new o_o Mine was copied directly from the Jellyneo site, but I still see nothing new?

And a really healthy tree WILL have a somewhat shiny bark - it shouldn't be just dull. We have a lovely oak tree in our back yard that really looks shiny, especially after a good rain.
adi_gallia

Post by adi_gallia »

Aren't all colours on Neopets colour-fills now? Of course you get the fruit Chias, baby, Maraquan and Mutant pets but those are somewhat disappointments now as they can't wear anything. I wonder why they didn't just leave those colours grandfathered? I'm gonna go out on a limb and say we're never gonna get them to wear clothes, we're too far into customisation for them to go to the effort of drawing every outfit on the specific pets. (for the same reason, I would bet that we're not gonna get any more new species of pets)

It's not exactly a brown Wocky, it at least looks a bit wooden. I think for what Neopets are now, this is the best sort of thing we can expect, short of a new clothing colour. They're not going to create new colours that can't use customisation.
zebru
Human Avatar: 156237

Post by zebru »

I enjoy the concept of this, especially if they would make lags extend into roots of some sort or allow artists to stick a branch here and there. In the hands of a good artist (Mr. Chomby step forward) this could be quite a treat.
Last edited by zebru on 27 Mar 2009 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
Snazzy reborn meepit by NyauNyau neopets * subeta