Gameroom Revamped... bloomin' heck, AGAIN?

Post anything new on Neopets here.
Rainbow Daydreamer

Gameroom Revamped... bloomin' heck, AGAIN?

Post by Rainbow Daydreamer »

The Gameroom is being revamped.

TNT say they're still tinkering with it, which presumably explains how the search engine tags have ended up as the page title.

I'm in two minds about this. On the one hand, it's smooth-looking and works in quite an interesting way, with a sliding panel to view the site's most popular games at a glance. There's a clearly labelled "sponsor" category, which has advantages for various people, and thank Fyora, they got rid of the stupid "For Kids" category label that I always felt a bit awkward about. And the new thumbnails are gorgeous-- kudos to the artists.

On the other hand
1) Can you say "56k-killer"? I don't think TNT can. This is gonna be something of a problem if someone doesn't find a workaround.
2) I can't help but remember that the Gameroom was revamped, what, three years ago? (Feels shorter, but my logical brain says that it's already been two years since the Day of the Giant Meepit.) And then revamped again for, well, the capital-R Revamp. Recently enough that there's still an FAQ page about it. It seems a bit of a shame that they'd put this kind of work into revamping it again when there were no major problems with it, and when there are areas on the site that are crying out for some reworking. (Faerieland, anyone? Default species petpages?)
Visit Semiveteran Logic, disliked by eight out of ten Meepits.
ZomgethMew

Re: Gameroom Revamped... bloomin' heck, AGAIN?

Post by ZomgethMew »

Ugh, I hate it :x Nice to get some warning, but still. What was wrong with the old one?!

And the title for the page seems.. crowded. "Games | Kids Games | Virtual Games & Pets | Games for Kids | Neopets"? Blech.
Neopets: wocky_luvpet5566 | Subeta: omg_carrie
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Post by Seerow »

Rainbow Daydreamer wrote: It seems a bit of a shame that they'd put this kind of work into revamping it again when there were no major problems with it, and when there are areas on the site that are crying out for some reworking. (Faerieland, anyone? Default species petpages?)
With the travesty that has been the Haunted Woods and Terror Mountain revamps, I will be perfectly content to keep Faerieland the way it is. They'll probably add pink sparkles floating around everywhere and faeries and big block signs. Yuck.

Geesh, I think one of Neo's favorite pastimes is tweaking that game room. I don't think there's any other part of the site that has gone through so many changes. I don't play games a whole lot so it doesn't really affect me, but the blue boxes around the sections are rather ugly looking :( And the little red boxes around the arrows and the corners is kinda tacky.
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Post by Jessi »

ZomgethMew wrote: And the title for the page seems.. crowded. "Games | Kids Games | Virtual Games & Pets | Games for Kids | Neopets"? Blech.
Mew, I get the feeling someone screwed up their coding somewhere along the lines, and those are supposed to be the search tags, rather than the title of that page. I could be wrong, though.
ZomgethMew

Post by ZomgethMew »

Yeah, you're probably right. It definitely *looks* like that, anyway.

And how many times have they redone the games room now? There was the original one that looked like a few shelves, then there must have been a revamp for that, the one they had when I joined back in 2004, with four images, then the one they had before the current revamp, now this? That's a lot of revamps.

Finally.. I hope that Faerieland doesn't get touched for a while. Terror Mountain got messed up big time, and since it's Faerieland, you can imagine what they'd do with it x_x.
Xelio

Post by Xelio »

So with this revamp, seems one of the few games I play and had on my favorites list has vanished and (this shows how often I play them) I can't for the life of me figure out what it is. It came between Roodoku and Stock Market on my favorites list and its bugging the crap out of me I can't figure out what game it was, evening know it had to start with something between Ro and St.

And I'm with Seerow. The Haunted Woods travesty shouldn't spread anywhere else on the site if at all possible, especially Faerieland.
Thanks Tiel for the lovely set!
Subeta - Neopets
varii

Post by varii »

Ugh. Everytime the games room changes I like it less. Whatever is going on there gives my computer a good 3 second lag when the page loads. I suppose the colour scheme is nicer...although my brain forgets things really quickly and I don't really remember what the old one was.

This explains why they were slowly changing the art for all of the games though.
rei @ neopets
Usul_Princess

Post by Usul_Princess »

I really like the gameroom v3. Finally, a change that isn't eye-gouging in flash animation. As far as Neopia makeovers go, I'll be sad when they redo the rest. Especially Mystery island and the lost desert. The LD was the only place that was drawn right the first time, and never needed to be revamped again.

...but I agree with everyone here about their gameroom lust. Are they trying to phase out users with outdated computers? Not everyone has a top of the line machine. (And even the people that do still don't like the change from HTML to flash.)
ImageImage

Thank you TCStarwind for the lovely signature! ^_^

FC bets: http://www.neopets.com/~DazedBoy
Gumdrops

Post by Gumdrops »

I don't understand TNT's priorities. They redo things that are really very new and then neglect things that need a revamp (The Battledome, Faerieland, Old Games like Gormball and Scorchy Slots).

That said, I really don't mind the gameroom revamp. It's really very similar to the last one with a few tweaks to the layout.
Seerow wrote: With the travesty that has been the Haunted Woods and Terror Mountain revamps, I will be perfectly content to keep Faerieland the way it is. They'll probably add pink sparkles floating around everywhere and faeries and big block signs. Yuck.
Heh, I'd actually kind of love that. But then, I love the HW and TM map revamps. I'm obviously in the minority in liking the flash animation maps. :D
Xelio

Post by Xelio »

So I figured out which game was missing, and that it didn't fall alphabetically between the games i thought it did. Expellibox has gone missing from the site it seems. Or at least any search I make I can't find it, but I can't find much of anything when I want to. While revamping the game room does that mean TNT decided a super rare chance at free NC was too much a chance at all? I've yet to hear of anyone I know even winning on that game, but the illusion that maybe someday I'd win NC to get snazzy backgrounds was a nice one.
Thanks Tiel for the lovely set!
Subeta - Neopets
TCStarwind
Human Avatar: 99635

Post by TCStarwind »

Actually, I've won expellibox once. A very long time ago. And then quit playing ever again. So it is possible.

But getting back to the thread, when I took a peek at the page yesterday, I didn't really like it. It's not horribly changed, but I didn't like the last version either. And I don't like the TM of HW maps, either. They don't load right on my laptop, which is relatively new. Bah, I say.
Rainbow Daydreamer

Post by Rainbow Daydreamer »

About the Expellibox thing-- people have been getting DFM messages on various things to do with Neocash. I suspect Expellibox is suffering problems along with the rest of the mall.

I don't see what'd be wrong with a redrawn Faerieland, myself. I mean, I don't know exactly how it could get much girlier given that half the place is already pink, and I think they did some terrific jobs on the other worlds that were revamped recently. (I loved Terror Mountain and the Haunted Woods! I think they're gorgeous. Shame they're so 56k-killy is the only thing.)
Visit Semiveteran Logic, disliked by eight out of ten Meepits.
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

I play Expellibox as one of my dailies and have won it at least 3 times. It's rare, but it's certainly not impossible.

You have to win it twice (or win it once in addition to free NC from a special event) to afford a background though -- but I've bought several backgrounds that way.

It's down at the moment, though.

I'm guessing that it's the Flash games that initially attract a lot of people to the site. So it makes sense that they spend a lot of time keeping the game room up to date.
ZomgethMew

Post by ZomgethMew »

Rainbow Daydreamer wrote:I don't see what'd be wrong with a redrawn Faerieland, myself. I mean, I don't know exactly how it could get much girlier given that half the place is already pink
Yeah, but I'd bet that it would be 50% more pink.. and sparkly x_o;. I shudder to think about it.. I mean, I'm all for pink and sparkles, but in small doses xD;;.
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Post by Seerow »

If the art was updated to look like Mystery Island, Gerptiku, or Shenkuu I'd be all for a revamp of Faerieland. However, TNT seems to be freaking obsessed with animated maps that have far far too many falling objects (snow on Terror Mountain), OMGFLASHING sparkles (Ice caves) and just general clutter with huge ass box signs (Haunted Woods).

So yeah, the art could be improved but I'd much rather have dated art then the "new and improved" layouts. But to each their own, I'm sure many people out there would a Faerieland with sparkles everywhere.

And it's not overly pink right now in my opinion. Looks more purple and white to me.
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.