Legends of Pinball

Post anything new on Neopets here.
varii

Legends of Pinball

Post by varii »

The new game this week is Legends of Pinball. I am something of a pinball fiend and I absolutely hate this game so far. The setup is awkward and I do not like the colour scheme. There is not enough bouncy action for my liking and the whole thing seems too wide..or something. It is just off. The flippers also seem slow and too far a part. Hopefully they are still working out the kinks because for a pin ball game this is really really bad.

And apparently the game has an end point. What the hell? Have they never played pinball? I beat the game in about 5 minutes and it ended really abruptly. The last two levels were more fun then the first but still absolutely pointless. I'm not sure what made the levels change as it seemed like it happened at random points during game play.

I suppose AAA's prize is cute, although it makes my pets look like stumpy amputees.
Last edited by varii on 15 Jul 2009 08:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rei @ neopets
mellaka
Human Avatar: 48736

Re: Legends of Pinball

Post by mellaka »

For me the paddles kept getting stuck, but I managed to beat AAA's score on my 3rd try.
Twisted
Location: On the run from the thought police. With a big jar of Fizzy Fish.

Post by Twisted »

There's nothing like a good pinball game, but it needs to be longer darnit. Where's the nudge? The long streams of levels and never ending play? Too darn short...but fun though. I'm weak to a good pinball game. But then again, I love button bashers!

At least now my computer's super fast I can beat AAA's scores easier-makes the games less sluggish.
Returned for the moment...I guess.
Usul_Princess

Post by Usul_Princess »

This game has super irritating music in an attempt to make it sound arcade-like. It sounds like circus techno music. And you're right, varii. The screen feels elongated. I keep pressing the spacebar thinking that's the way to control pressure, and not the down arrow key. I'm terrible at this game, and I have no idea how I got to level 3, so AAA's score will take a while.

Not sure why the new games seem to cap at some point either.
ImageImage

Thank you TCStarwind for the lovely signature! ^_^

FC bets: http://www.neopets.com/~DazedBoy
Gumdrops

Post by Gumdrops »

I got AAAs score on my first try. I just kept the flippers going at all times.

I probably won't be playing the game again unless it's part of some future game challenge.
Goldenchaos

Post by Goldenchaos »

..this game is so so buggy.. TWICE, on the second part of the spacey level, my ball fell off the side of the game screen.
Image Image
ImageImage
daisybell

Post by daisybell »

Wow, what a boring game. I don't know if it's just because my computer is slow, but the ball moved so slowly I was practically falling asleep. In fact, all of the ball physics were a bit rubbish. It was impossible to get the ball higher than about halfway up the table using the flippers.

As for the level objectives, they were difficult to fathom out, but that didn't seem to matter much as I couldn't actually make the ball do anything in particular anyway. I got to the end (that Game Over screen is awfully sudden, but I assume I managed to hit Jeran's shield and that meant you finished the game) without any skill.

I don't think I'll bother playing it again unless it's part of a challenge.
Neopets wishlists: here
TCStarwind
Human Avatar: 99635

Post by TCStarwind »

I'm going to agree with everyone else. This game is horrible. And it has so much potential. It was slow and stupid. And is it just me or are the pinballs going through the flippers half the time? Seems to hit off of everything else just fine. I was able to get AAA's prize fairly easily (it was just incredibly boring), and at one time even has three pinballs going, which would have made any regular pinball game insanely chaotic.
Rainbow Daydreamer

Post by Rainbow Daydreamer »

What annoys me is the lack of a key to shake the board. What's the point in showing the ball slipping down the side and into oblivion if you have zero per cent chance to rescue it?

Edit: Also, the spinning-arrow graphic before the title screen? Presumably it can only mean that the game is still loading. In which case... shouldn't the loading screen-- you know, the specially designed, Neopets-themed, handy percentage counter loading screen-- not have gone up to 100% and disappeared? Rather removes the point, doesn't it?
Visit Semiveteran Logic, disliked by eight out of ten Meepits.
Nogitsune
Colourmeister

Post by Nogitsune »

I will jump on the 'this-game-had-such-potential' bandwagon. The ending mystifies me completely. I mean, I had four good balls left and suddenly it's game over. I could see if I'd ran out of balls or something but accidentally hitting something seems way too random an ending. Plus, as has been mentioned, this game isn't very much like pinball at all. The ball hardly moves. And all those sides the ball can slide down without you being able to do anything about it are just annoying.
Faster than a speeding cheeseburger, but not by much.
EofS

Post by EofS »

Nogitsune wrote:The ending mystifies me completely. I mean, I had four good balls left and suddenly it's game over. I could see if I'd ran out of balls or something but accidentally hitting something seems way too random an ending.
I think you're thinking of the wrong kind of game over. It's not the "you ran out of lives" kind, it's the "you reached the goal of the final level".

I eventually managed to randomly hit Jeran's shield enough times on the final level to complete the game and get AAA's prize. Now I can happily ignore that the game even exists until it's part of a challenge. Awful, just awful.

Although I do like the first Meridell level (why oh why is the game half Virtupets and half Meridell?) for its layout. That's nifty. But I think it's ridiculous (not just on that level) that there's no way to tell what is '2D' decoration and what is an actual obstacle. Plus all the times the ball will hit thin air and rebound. Or go through the flippers. Although it works both ways - I only made it to the end because several times my ball rebounded from the gap between the flippers.

I was just thinking, the day this was released, "Neopets STILL hasn't got a pinball game". I can't say this is the game I'd long hoped for. (Do I vaguely recall there was one many moons ago, back when they had Tetris?)
varii

Post by varii »

EofS wrote: I was just thinking, the day this was released, "Neopets STILL hasn't got a pinball game". I can't say this is the game I'd long hoped for. (Do I vaguely recall there was one many moons ago, back when they had Tetris?)
I think so! When they announced this I got super excited and then hit with a sense of deja vous. It seems like one of those things I've filled away with Grundo's Gym, where I don't exactly remember it but I know it was there and I used it. I convinced myself I had just gotten confused with Windows' old version of pinball, but if someone else remembers it then I'm not crazy. :D
rei @ neopets
daisybell

Post by daisybell »

EofS wrote:
Nogitsune wrote:The ending mystifies me completely. I mean, I had four good balls left and suddenly it's game over. I could see if I'd ran out of balls or something but accidentally hitting something seems way too random an ending.
I think you're thinking of the wrong kind of game over. It's not the "you ran out of lives" kind, it's the "you reached the goal of the final level".
You're right, I'm sure, that it's a 'good' game over. But usually you get a different ending screen, a "congratulations! you won" or something like that instead of the regular game over you'd get if you ran out of lives.
Neopets wishlists: here
Rakumel

Post by Rakumel »

I just got through playing this for the challenge, and yeah...I have to agree with everything else that's been said. I felt like I was playing underwater pinball, it was so slow and wonky. (It should've been Maraqua-themed!) Speaking of which, it would've been better, imho, if they'd made a bunch of different themes that you could select from. In fact, there's a whole lot of ways this could have been better. I have a hard time believing this was a finished product.

The old pinball program I used to play on my Dad's computer at work, that was loaded from an 8-inch floppy disk and had only two colors (screen and green XD) was more fun than this.
lavender
Human Avatar: 168295

Post by lavender »

YES I AM.

Anyways. I personally don't find it to be that bad. All I do is hit the arrows keys constantly for 90% of the game (as if it's Make Some Noise :P). I also don't find it to be slow, but I suppose after the challenge is over you'll be able to change the quality. I do agree the ending is really abrupt. It could at least say, "HEY YOU JUST WON!"

I'll continue to play it depending on how the np payout goes. Right now it's a fairly easy 1000 np.

{eta} I've noticed that when I try to the ctrl keys instead of the arrow keys, the paddles get stuck. Arrow keys work fine though, so that's kinda weird.
{neopets: _lavender} ImageImage Image {subeta: lavenderkennedy}