Createable draiks...Operation: Stalk and hoard!!

Post anything new on Neopets here.
Kamil
Not the nice one
Human Avatar: 72834

Re: Createable draiks...Operation: Stalk and hoard!!

Post by Kamil »

That's what I couldn't remember. Thanks, guys, I totally couldn't remember clearly what I'd heard about that. ^^
Image Image
MM and Twofold rock, yo.
invsagoth

Post by invsagoth »

I never would have thought they'd release draiks! I remember the year after they came out I stalked the create a pet page hoping for a release which never happened. Then I found out that they weren't going to be released because they were restricted, and I never thought to look again. I was still sleeping during their release (7 am NST is 6 am for me!), and there weren't any more releases after that from what I've seen. It's almost the end of the day, so I doubt there will be more.

This whole thing just annoys me, quite frankly. :/

Especially after their recent editorial about the price of draiks being lower back in the day because of the snow faerie quests, talking about that being oh so horrible because it took away from the rarity and specialness of having a draik. *headdesk*
Thank you to Jazzy for the av!
thelonetiel
Human Avatar: 15268

Post by thelonetiel »

Personally, I'd like to tip my hat to TNT.

There are maybe three or four times as many eggs, morphing potions, and trans in auctions than what I usually see whenever I check the prices. Trades has more than usual too.

I think sellers got scared, and are trying to sell before the prices drop too much. And I think they will. Okay, so I feel bad kinda for the people who had eggs as investments, or such like that. But I think a lot of people are just being greedy and capitalizing on their popularity. The pet trade market I'm pretty sure has driven up morphing potions so high, since draiks and krawks are the best bet for trading for UCs. And as people want more UCs, they buy more and more draiks and krawks, people exploit this demand, and prices go through the roof.

I will be very very surprised if this doesn't really halt draik inflation. At the moment, the Pound Chat is flooded with freshly made, well named draiks, ready to be traded away as soon as they turn 168 hours old. So who's going to buy a draik egg or potion and make a draik, if they are so easily available through trade? And so abundant, that people with good UCs I'm sure will have more offers than they'd ever hoped.

Releasing draiks at a fairly low traffic time (between 6 and 7 am, really?) was a bit foolish, it meant people could make multiple draiks easily (though, the only person I've seen with several made 6 and 5 are up for adoption with simple applications). I can't think of what their reasoning was there, perhaps just to cause less of scene?

Someone on the boards made a very interesting comment... Draiks are a favorite of customization. So it follows that more draiks in the system will mean more NeoCash bought to decorate said draiks. I doubt that would've been TNT's main focus, but it might've been a motivating factor in their break from tradition. Even just decreasing their price would be a motivator in that standpoint, where more people have a chance to buy pretty draiks to dress up.
Taeyna

Post by Taeyna »

The general idea was a great idea, but I think TNT could work on the way they carried it out (that's if it wasn't a mistake). I like the idea that this should help decrease the price of morphs/eggs (seriously, I got my one and only draik for 320K 6 years ago), and also make draiks a little less special (I'm too scared to ask for simple av pet lends on the neoboards, because people want my draik in return). The thing that annoys me the most is how they got released over one hour, and then nothing. TNT releases other LE pets over the day, and I can't see why they didn't do it that way. The other slightly annoying thing is how people created 4 or 5+ draiks. Surely it wouldn't have killed TNT to make it a one per account thing or something?

If it was a mistake from TNT, then it's friggin hilarious and probably the best mistake they have made that I can think of (and one that doesn't end in freezings).
Someone on the boards made a very interesting comment... Draiks are a favorite of customization. So it follows that more draiks in the system will mean more NeoCash bought to decorate said draiks. I doubt that would've been TNT's main focus, but it might've been a motivating factor in their break from tradition. Even just decreasing their price would be a motivator in that standpoint, where more people have a chance to buy pretty draiks to dress up.
I agree with that. Most draiks I've seen have so much bling on them that's there more clothes then draik. But then again, any clothes that I've tried on my pets always look ten times better on the draik (if you ignore the bright green colour). I think it's because they have the most humanoid body shape.
Usul_Princess

Post by Usul_Princess »

Um, if I may. I 100% retract what I said about this being a mistake. It was way too early for NST for that to be the only time draiks were released. This was a goof that (God forbid) will be admitted to in the editorial. It might be addressed, because I sense an angry mob, but it can be a complete lie as well! "Of course it was intentional when no one was awake!" Not that it's much solace to people who missed out.

*points up* Tiel, I never would've known the joys of spending RL money on pixeled dragons, but I was thinking about getting $10. in NC so I could dress up a pet I've claimed to be temporary. I spent like an hour piecing kits together for Adriayna. I loathe female draiks without the blue eyes because their eyelashes are a constant nusciance. (Part of me is glad I don't have the NP for desert or Royalboy because she'd be painted that now, and I'd be out $10.)

Too bad this whole fiasco deflated potions for like a day. :?

Remember when the snow faerie gave ghost draik MPs out and we were so happy that we sold them for 90K?

Edit: I already am out $10. because I've decided to keep her, and only put Haiydric UFT.

Adriayna
Last edited by Usul_Princess on 10 Sep 2009 03:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

Thank you TCStarwind for the lovely signature! ^_^

FC bets: http://www.neopets.com/~DazedBoy
adi_gallia

Post by adi_gallia »

Bah, I'm gutted that they didn't release any more after the initial wave and that I missed the first lot in the first place. :(

I was really hoping to create one so I could get a Royal Girl/Desert Draik eventually. I do have a Draik already, but the name is only suited to a Halloween one and I wouldn't trade her as I got her from someone on here. Perhaps I'll have a look around now there's a few more.
TCStarwind
Human Avatar: 99635

Post by TCStarwind »

I'm kinda sad that more weren't released, as well. I didn't think I'd get one, so I'm not too disappointed, but this could have been planned a lot better (if it wasn't a mistake).
zebru
Human Avatar: 156237

Post by zebru »

I'm pretty sure it was a mistake. If it was planned it surely wouldn't have been done over a space of one hour, at least in order to avoid "Unfair, we were at school/sleeping!" avalanche of neomails and Neopian Times messages they are probably drowning in right now.
What surprises me is that they didn't decide to cover it up by releasing another thousand of them in the evening (6pm perhaps) so they could pretend it was intentional more easily.

I don't think it will have a long lasting impact on the economy - 2 months from now draik eggs will cost 13 mil just as they did two days ago and krawks will inflate another 2-3 mil. I think the only way to counter the prices rising would be to provide an unconversion item/event. Otherwise krawks and draiks will remain the only buyable currency for obtaining UCs and the price will just keep on soaring.

Btw that person who created 5 draiks sounds like a lovely person through and through :) Here's her draik adoption petpage:
http://www.neopets.com/~Benullo
Image Image
Snazzy reborn meepit by NyauNyau neopets * subeta
invsagoth

Post by invsagoth »

I'm pretty sure that it was a mistake, and I am happy that this will drop the price of getting a draik a bit... But I'd be more happy about that if I didn't think the price would just creep back up eventually and continue to inflate.

Not that I can afford them at their new 'cheap' price, so it doesn't really matter that much to me anyway. :P

One person on a livejournal community I'm in said that krawks were mistakenly released last(?) year, and after realizing their mistake tnt changed the newly created krawks into grarrls. (Grarrls seem like a close enough pet to krawks to make some amount of sense.) I don't know that it has any truth to it, I can see tnt doing that because they do ridiculous things... But it also sounds a bit too ridiculous, and I think someone was just trying to worry people ('pound your new draiks so I can adopt them, they're not 'real' draiks anyway!' or 'Buy my mp/egg/trade for my 'real' draik!' sort of thing.)
mellaka
Human Avatar: 48736

Post by mellaka »

I was on vacation and got home last night, so I missed it. I refreshed for the hours that I was on, but of course no more were released. I was hoping to get one to replace the one I lost to an AA many years ago. Oh well. I don't really like the new draiks as much anyway, though I've been wanting a Darigan one, but don't want to paint zuriika.

I feel bad for those who recently traded for one or just paid a lot of NPs for a morph/trans potion, but I don't mind that they released them, like some other draik owners I've seen complaining about it.
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Post by Jessi »

invsagoth wrote:One person on a livejournal community I'm in said that krawks were mistakenly released last(?) year, and after realizing their mistake tnt changed the newly created krawks into grarrls. (Grarrls seem like a close enough pet to krawks to make some amount of sense.) (etc)
I never heard anything about that and I know no one here posted about it - and certainly SOMEONE here would have! But to be honest, TNT does a lot of stupid things but I really can't see them randomly changing your pet for their mistake. I seriously doubt if this WAS a mistake, anyone'll have to worry about their draik disappearing.
Nameshifter

Post by Nameshifter »

Jessibean wrote:I seriously doubt if this WAS a mistake, anyone'll have to worry about their draik disappearing.
People are saying the the Neoboards that this happened one other time and that the Draiks created were all deleted instead of replaced with another pet species. I don't know how true that is though. (I don't remember it happening, but that's not saying much)
invsagoth

Post by invsagoth »

Jessibean wrote: I never heard anything about that and I know no one here posted about it - and certainly SOMEONE here would have! But to be honest, TNT does a lot of stupid things but I really can't see them randomly changing your pet for their mistake. I seriously doubt if this WAS a mistake, anyone'll have to worry about their draik disappearing.
I really can't see them doing it either, but I was wondering if I had perhaps missed something (especially if it was last year, I was on the Bering Sea out of touch with the world). I don't think any of the new draik owners should worry about their pets changing or anything. Gotta love rumors and paranoia though. :P
Xelio

Post by Xelio »

With their having existed over 48 hours and such, I seriously doubt TNT would want to deal with the irate people who have spent NP to paint these draiks or traded for them if they were to be turned into something else now. I'm sure these new draiks are a permanent addition to the draik pool now, and really they should be. As others have stated, we all know their just going to inflate again. This ripple in the pool, so to speak, isn't going to last long. No matter if it was a mistake or intentional, sure as heck be nice if TNT admitted to it. For one it'd be nice to know to sate curiosity if that was a flub or not, and two it'd be nice to know for certain those draiks are staying put for the sake of those that got them.
Thanks Tiel for the lovely set!
Subeta - Neopets
Rainbow Daydreamer

Post by Rainbow Daydreamer »

This just in: it WAS a system glitch, as per the editorial, but TNT figured that all's well that ends well and won't be rolling anything back.
Visit Semiveteran Logic, disliked by eight out of ten Meepits.