Account deletions?

Neopets topics not covered by the other forums go here.
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Account deletions?

Post by Jazzy »

I just found this email in my junk folder:
Your Neopets account will be deleted soon! Hi [username removed],

We're sending you this email because you haven't logged in to your Neopets.com account in a while. Unfortunately, that means your account will be deleted on or around 2010-08-08, along with your Neopets, your items, and any other account information.

Your Username: [removed]
Your Neopets:

If you wish to keep your Neopets account (hooray!), all you need to do is log in to http://www.neopets.com with your username and password before 2010-08-08 and your account will be safe.

If you'd like your account to be deleted (boo!), you don't need to do anything more. It will be deleted and we'll miss you dearly!

We hope to see you in Neopia soon!
The Neopets Team

Please do not reply to this automated message. Replies to this message are sent to an unmonitored mailbox. If you wish to contact us, please click here <http://www.neopets.com/contact.phtml> .

© 1999-2010 NeoPets, Inc. NeoPets is a MTV Networks company.
Despite the junk status, it's legitimate in origin - the username attached to the email is correct, the account does indeed have no Neopets, there are no links in the email apart from the contact one (and that points to Neopets, not a scam site), and the detailed message header says that it comes from neopets.com only (unlike, say, the phishing scams that say they're from amazon.com but have been routed via dodgysite.ru). I would've last logged into that account in 2008, though I don't know exactly when in 2008.

Have accounts been systematically deleted if they aren't logged into for two years or so for a while, or is this new? The last mass account clearing I can remember was years ago, but I suppose if the criteria was two years of inactivity any deletions would be a lot more staggered and it wouldn't be so obvious even if it was happening.

edit: my gosh, the big account clearing I remember was back in 2004, six whole years ago! I cannot believe how long it's been.
Cranberry
Human Avatar: 183848

Re: Account deletions?

Post by Cranberry »

This was in the editorial a couple of weeks ago:
TNT, I was just wondering: did the name purge mentioned in January really take place? Also, when will the next name purge be? Does the name purge only delete unused accounts, frozen accounts, or both? If this makes it in, please remove my username. Thanks! *throws chocolate* ~username removed

The purge is currently going on, but slowly, unlike previous times when we deleted massive numbers of accounts at once. The purge deletes long-abandoned accounts that were never used much at all, as well as very, very old frozen accounts.
:)