Jetsam Day Predictions

Neopets topics not covered by the other forums go here.

Which colours will theJetsam have on their special day?

Poll ended at 16 Oct 2010 07:00 pm

Biscuit
6%
Camouflage
No votes
Chocolate
11%
Christmas
No votes
Custard
6%
Invisible
No votes
Jelly
6%
Maraquan
6%
Relic
6%
Royal
6%
Snot
6%
Split
17%
Sponge
6%
Transparent
22%
Woodland
6%

Total votes: 18

Nogitsune
Colourmeister

Jetsam Day Predictions

Post by Nogitsune »

Last year on Jestam day we got Desert Image and Sketch Image

This leaves:

Biscuit Image
Camouflage Image
Chocolate Image
Christmas Image
Custard Image
Invisible Image
Jelly Image
Maraquan Image
Relic Image
Royal Image
Royal Image
Snot Image
Split Image
Sponge Image
Transparent Image
Woodland Image

Royal is always a good possibility, especially if the artists have other things they need to do. It gives two pets for the price of one colour. Christmas is also nice clothing colours, though I must admit a bit of dread at the thought of a Christmas pet this time of the year (far too soon!). Chocolate has had some nice art and, since candy is popular for Halloween, could be interesting. Transparend could be really interesting and a Jetsam with Camouflage like that of the Flotsam could be actually nice. Woodland hasn't been done in a while and could be nice. Relic might be interesting, but usually it ends up being mediocre. Jelly or Biscuit could be interesting. Split and Invisible tend to be rather dull. Sponge lost much of its luster post revamp. Maraquan is seems unlikely, but there are varieties of sharks (like the sawfish or tigershark) that could be interesting. Custard and Snot are Custard and Snot.

Other thoughts, hopes, desires?
Faster than a speeding cheeseburger, but not by much.
EofS

Re: Jetsam Day Predictions

Post by EofS »

Nogitsune wrote:Royal is always a good possibility, especially if the artists have other things they need to do. It gives two pets for the price of one colour.
I've never understood this argument. They still have to *draw* two pets. Two pets which would take far more work than, say, split and jelly. How is it quick/easy to do two royals?

Edit: That said, I'd really like to see transparent as long as the artist knows their fish anatomy.
Nogitsune
Colourmeister

Post by Nogitsune »

EofS wrote:
Nogitsune wrote:Royal is always a good possibility, especially if the artists have other things they need to do. It gives two pets for the price of one colour.
I've never understood this argument. They still have to *draw* two pets. Two pets which would take far more work than, say, split and jelly. How is it quick/easy to do two royals?

Edit: That said, I'd really like to see transparent as long as the artist knows their fish anatomy.
I guess I've always seen it as a lazier way out of making two new pet colours since, technically, you're only making one that gives something to both genders.
EofS

Post by EofS »

Nogitsune wrote:
EofS wrote:I've never understood this argument. They still have to *draw* two pets. Two pets which would take far more work than, say, split and jelly. How is it quick/easy to do two royals?
I guess I've always seen it as a lazier way out of making two new pet colours since, technically, you're only making one that gives something to both genders.
That still doesn't make sense to me though. Strictly speaking, royal is two colours - Royalboy and Royalgirl - obtained from a single brush. You can even have female Royalboys and male Royalgirls, which means they do need to draw the eyes for both genders for each colour.

From the point of view of "making it closer to the pet having every single colour" yes, royal is only one and that could be labelled 'lazy'. But it's in no way less work for the artists, and frankly I find it insulting to say that drawing royals is lazy because they must take a huge amount of effort, and far more than something like speckled or gold.
Nogitsune
Colourmeister

Post by Nogitsune »

EofS wrote:
Nogitsune wrote:
EofS wrote:I've never understood this argument. They still have to *draw* two pets. Two pets which would take far more work than, say, split and jelly. How is it quick/easy to do two royals?
That still doesn't make sense to me though. Strictly speaking, royal is two colours - Royalboy and Royalgirl - obtained from a single brush. You can even have female Royalboys and male Royalgirls, which means they do need to draw the eyes for both genders for each colour.

From the point of view of "making it closer to the pet having every single colour" yes, royal is only one and that could be labelled 'lazy'. But it's in no way less work for the artists, and frankly I find it insulting to say that drawing royals is lazy because they must take a huge amount of effort, and far more than something like speckled or gold.
Very true. Sorry, I never really thought of it that way.
Kantark

Post by Kantark »

I'm a bit surprised we don't have a Maraquan Jetsam yet, so that'll be one choice. Echoing E I'd like to see a transparent fishy fish too!
Neopets: sparkygoesforth, decommissioned, nightfall, LiveJournal:kantark, Last.FM:Kantark
Madge

Post by Madge »

I think you can make the "two for the price of one" argument with Royal in the sense that the male and female tend to follow the same theme in general, so you only need to come up with one 'concept' - you know "Ancient Greece", "Princess Leia" or whathaveyou - and you get two colours out of it. And they can reuse things, sometimes. The royal shoyrus are a good example:
ImageImage
Same jacket and hat! But to be fair I think the shoyru might be the only royal that does this and I may have just got damn lucky at choosing it :P

Anyway you don't need to think up a concept at all for something like silver. So it's still less lazy, I guess.

Final verdict: royal can be considered lazy in that it fills up the "colours available" slower. JUST LIKE WE SAID BEFORE. FUCK YEAH.

I'm going to go for Royal since I think that it could be really awesome. But it's equally likely that it really sucks, so yeah.
zebru
Human Avatar: 156237

Post by zebru »

Split and... woodland?
Transparent could be nifty though - jetsam is just the species for it.
Image Image
Snazzy reborn meepit by NyauNyau neopets * subeta
Fury

Post by Fury »

I'm so desperate to see some more transparent pets but I guessed Sponge and Chocolate. I think they're going to spread out transparent quite a bit, just like they're doing with Relic and Woodland.