Retrieving ALL of your usernames in one email?

Neopets topics not covered by the other forums go here.
Alecko
Human Avatar: 267595

Retrieving ALL of your usernames in one email?

Post by Alecko »

This has freaked me out a little. I just logged into my email account and found an email from Neopets saying that a request was made for all the usernames associated with this email. It lists all three of my accounts and their passwords. The email address is neopets@neopets.com, it includes the contact information/copyright etc at the bottom plus links to the subscription/preferences/privacy policy pages (I haven't clicked them but they are all neopets.com links). Hotmail is blocking something but it does that to pretty much every email I get.

I've changed my passwords on all three plus my email account, and everything is PIN'd up but I just.... don't get how it happened. Where is the page where you even request all that anyway?
TCStarwind
Human Avatar: 99635

Re: Retrieving ALL of your usernames in one email?

Post by TCStarwind »

It's been like that for a bit. They may have changed it when they decided to no longer ask for your birthday if you haven't logged on for a while. As for where you get it, you just click the "forgot my username" under the login field of the login page. I just checked, and it does send you every account and password associated with that email.
Alecko
Human Avatar: 267595

Post by Alecko »

Ah, ok. I've never had to retrieve a username before so I didn't even consider that option. Still, it was about time I changed all those passwords anyway.

Thanks TC! <3
ZomgethMew

Post by ZomgethMew »

For what it's worth, I've gotten a username retrieval email in the past few months, too. I don't think it means anything, probably just a moron who thinks they can hack into accounts like that or something X3 But it's kind of reassuring to know it's not just me who's received an email, since I'm kinda paranoid about those things ^^;;.
Neopets: wocky_luvpet5566 | Subeta: omg_carrie
TCStarwind

Post by TCStarwind »

No probs. :)

Actually, I got a few of them a couple of weeks ago (and one from the password retrieval). I thought it was just from a person who begged me to give them one of my pets. But maybe TNT is sending them out to everyone?
Fjorab_Teke
Human Avatar: 271433

Post by Fjorab_Teke »

I've gotten it about twice the past several months. The first time freaked me out big-time, since i knew i wasn't the one who requested it. Then i figured it was just some lame-o who decided they might try to get my account that way, not knowing that it sends the email instead of "oh, OK here you go, have fun!" right there.

As far as i remember, the only time i've ever had something bad actually happen was (theory) someone raising a stink over my otherwise-SSW priced shop having overpriced rotten fishing shoes - clearly marked as such - and getting me frozen for it. I thought it was CG, but nothing aside from the freezing (and month of waiting) pointed to that. The only thing that was different was my shop description had been cleared and my prices reset.
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

I get them roughly weekly from idiots.
TCStarwind

Post by TCStarwind »

I hate to bump old topics, but is anyone else getting these emails really frequently? I've gotten about 5 in the last week (3 today). I've also gotten an actual email from someone asking me for my account because they didn't want to start all over from nothing (though that was sent to hundreds of other people as well). I haven't gotten any neomails from anyone, so I can't tell if someone's trying to get my attention, or the system is just broken. I'm starting to get creeped out (is this a normal reaction?).
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

I got two in the past few days, and I had forgotten those accounts even existed. A bit alarming even when you don't play anymore. Weirdly, only for the side accounts I'd forgotten to disable--nothing for the main accounts (one of which I still log into periodically to check stocks--some habits die hard).
Image Image
Cranberry
Human Avatar: 183848

Post by Cranberry »

I get them all the time. I figure people want my pets, or my accounts because they're all old, or something... my passwords are very strong, so I don't care. I just ignore them.
Fjorab_Teke
Human Avatar: 271433

Post by Fjorab_Teke »

Yeah, i got a few again recently, too, and was about to post a similar bump.

I tried to change all my emails, but stupid AOL bounces Neopets emails. I don't use my AOL mail for anything, and it's less easily figured than my regular emails (got a weird TNT Neomail regarding that when they wouldn't go through). I'm thinking they need to change something about that, since it's getting to be an alarming epidemic, and you never know when someone's going to figure out how to break into someone's email for that, especially considering we never got any assurance that CGs were being taken care of.

I did find it amusing (and slightly puzzling/offputting) that some of my PWs in the email were truncated though. Yeah, try getting through THAT way.

I've been deleting/clearing trash of all those emails right away, as i get notifications on my cellphone and through IM when i'm online.

My PWs are pretty good, and i have pretty much everything PINned.
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

I'm now getting several a day, which is beginning to irritate me.

Does anyone else remember 04/04/04, when the password request page broke and just displayed your password instead of emailing it, and lots of people had their account broken into?
gomababe

Post by gomababe »

Completely forgot about neopets until I got one of those emails while I was waiting to get into the cinema yesterday {I have an email app on my new molbile}. Updated my passwords on both accounts for neo and severely upgraded the security on my googlemail account just to be safe. God love QR codes and android applications.