Claire Hummel (shoomlah) has posted old hi-res art

Neopets topics not covered by the other forums go here.
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Claire Hummel (shoomlah) has posted old hi-res art

Post by Jazzy »

She has a gallery here of some of the art that she did for Neopets up to 2007, lots of it in nice hi-res quality:
https://www.clairehummel.com/neopets
Madge

Re: Claire Hummel (shoomlah) has posted old hi-res art

Post by Madge »

Wow, thank you for sharing this! They remind me how beautiful the art was, and how integrated I was in to the world for those years, even though 2007 is probably about when the magic was lost (does shoomlah equal neopets? all signs point to yes, I guess?).
Kantark

Post by Kantark »

Nice find! And so nostalgic to see high-res art from the 'golden era' of Neopets (the various pet poses, the Grey Ixi, many things that I'd completely forgotten about). 2007 still feels pretty recent but then I do the maths - 12 years!

(Also: Hello!)
Neopets: sparkygoesforth, decommissioned, nightfall, LiveJournal:kantark, Last.FM:Kantark
thelonetiel
Human Avatar: 15268

Post by thelonetiel »

This is amazing! Thanks so much for sharing!

Looking at these, she really did some of my favorite art on the site. That draik skeleton TCG card for instance, or these Peophins. I would've committed minor crimes to get this high res versions of this art, back in the day.

And wow, good for her to see where she's gone:
Claire is currently an art director at Valve, workin' hard on In The Valley of Gods. She's been in the games & interactive industry for about nine years, contributing to a number of projects including Westworld VR, Fable Legends, Sunset Overdrive, and Bioshock Infinite.
Maybe it's just because it's local to me and I toured their office and gawked, but Valve is like, peak cool places to work in the video games industry from my viewpoint. And looks like she also did a stint with Campo Santo (per one profile, that I'm assuming is the outdated one) and wondering how much she influence the beautiful Firewatch. How awesome, I'm so proud for her!

... Also I'm a little disappointed I can't buy prints of some of these things from her directly, but buying an art book or two is seriously tempting. Throwing my adult money at someone who made my childhood happy seems like a wonderful thing to do.
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

Hey, it's good to see people back here, how are you guys doing?

And re: Campo Santo, so the reason she's at Valve is she became Campo Santo's art director (I think after the release of Firewatch, not sure if she had a hand in that) and then Campo Santo was bought out by Valve, so as I understand it, she's working on Campo Santo projects at Valve.
Madge

Post by Madge »

Great to be back! I'm planning a 6 month trip to Paris at the moment, if you ever want to hop across on the chunnel and grab a croissant ;)

What's up with you!?
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

I totally do! I love Paris. Let me know when you're further along in the planning! I am good, nothing particularly new here but hopefully planning some holidays soon.
Madge

Post by Madge »

It's looking to be May-November though if my visa doesn't work out it'll be like May-August. I'm hoping to stay around the 19e.

I'm flying to Sydney in a month for a visa interview (for those playing along at home that's like the distance from France to Turkmenistan), and hopefully within a week or two of that I'll have my passport back with a shiny visa on it.
DamionDarkheart

Post by DamionDarkheart »

Thanks for this. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed the colors she made.
"Blah blah blah into the pie, bitch." Image