Fortune-favoured Fool

Neopets topics not covered by the other forums go here.

Korbats need a new look!

Heck yes, they are totally antiquated.
75%
Who cares for korbats? I (heart) my Xweetok.
4%
Meh.
6%
Heck no, I (heart) their Betty Boop-era faces & unshaded white egg-tummies!
No votes
I haven't supported most of the makeovers--they whitewash over the Neopets site that I fell in love with years ago and often completely alter beloved, established pets--but I'd make an exception here if the changes looked good.
15%

Total votes: 52

dragonodare

Fortune-favoured Fool

Post by dragonodare »

So...

Am I the only one out there who thinks the Korbat species could use one of TNT's controversial makeovers? Dumpy body, bland face, rigid postures... etcetera.

Anyway, I have one of these--fell in love with his moniker when I saw him in my guild's adoption pool. The aptly-named Ssonar remained a red korbat all of 5 minutes, at which point I transmogrified him, the only aesthetic enhancement I could then afford and also the one which I still like best for his kind. Something about the giant mutant ears and cable-like tail, man, they balance out the freakishly large eyebrows, jellybean-shaped eyes, and furry beergut.

The turn of luck that makes this post catagorically appropriate was a fountain faerie quest (hurrah!) completed nearly a year ago. I've long since forgotten the item required, but as I'd recently created a green Hissi and already had one painted and one mutated pet, it seemed inadvisable to use the reward right away. Colours for a new species such as the Hissi should increase exponentially in a very short while, I reasoned, and if I'd saved the quest when TNT released a really (I mean REALLY) good one, I could have three non-basic pets, even if one was still a dorky-looking Korbat.

Fast forward to August 06. The Xweetok, Yurble, and Gnorbu have completely dominated good (I mean REALLY GOOD) color updates, sidelining the Hissi. Consequently, I still had a fountain quest reward queued when the amazing happened.

I got another fountain quest.

Yes, this happens to many people, but from *my* perspective, and probably yours, it happens to *other* people. I couldn't believe my luck! (beat)
Then a chill as I realized that from the glitchiness witnessed regularly on our favourite site I might infer that Neopets had no provision for saving unclaimed fountain trips while on a second quest. *Dooom...*
No, actually, all was well. The reward remained, but I daren't turn over the second item (a Jagged Stone Spear at 50k--fortunate, indeed!) until I'd used it.

I do believe I went temporarily mad. Rather than coming here, considering all my options, contemplating what I might want should I ever get a fourth pet, and so on, I snapped. I've always coveted pirate pets, and in the space of about 5 seconds had led my tubby, big-eared korbat over to the pool and pushed him in, poor fellow.

Obviously, I count myself very lucky. I now have two million-plus painted pets and a green hissi waiting ever-so-patiently for TNT to pay attention to his species' colour palatte so's I can use that second quest reward. However, I also want to kick myself for not morphing Ssonar into a cooler species before dunking him. The piratey look suits what I've always imagined his personality to be, but it has all the shortcomings of more basic korbatti and lacks the tricked-out, totally unique costumery of not-just-a-generic-pirate Pirate pets like the Yurble, Gnorbu (aahh, the beaded beard!), and soon to be Xweetok, probably. Why can you see the korbat's wink *through* his eyepatch? I'm sure I don't know.

At any rate, word to the wise, people. Take advantage of this awesome resource and use that fountain quest WISELY, especially after hoarding it for a year, and even if you know for certain you've got another one pending. I don't hate my pirate korbat, but he could really use a little artistic revision.

If you care to, tell me what you think of him, or append your own awesome or woesome fountain stories herein. Why not?

Be swell.
EofS

Post by EofS »

I suspect that a revamp is on the cards for them in the not terribly distant future. Particularly as the Hallowe'en season is not far off. They're one of the species who have not just flat art, but a bad design.
Strawberry Limeade

Post by Strawberry Limeade »

Yeah they need to be revamped. So do several species. The latest TCG Korbat art is actually really cute. They have a lot of potential.

As long as they don't touch Royalgirl.

*Back! Back with your fancy editing tools!*
lavender
Human Avatar: 168295

Post by lavender »

I'm all for a revamp, as long as they don't touch Mutant ::hugsXelei::
{neopets: _lavender} ImageImage Image {subeta: lavenderkennedy}
Kizule

Post by Kizule »

Welp, I'm in love with my Starry Korbat, bad drawings and all. I love his upside-down circle pose, and I just hope they don't change that when they update them. I always wonder why it was the Starry Korbat that got to stay hanging while all the others didn't...
Whikey

Post by Whikey »

Kizule wrote:Welp, I'm in love with my Starry Korbat, bad drawings and all. I love his upside-down circle pose, and I just hope they don't change that when they update them. I always wonder why it was the Starry Korbat that got to stay hanging while all the others didn't...
I agree, I love my starry korbat's pose, and the mutant korbat too. Im all for a revamp otherwise but those one's are my favs.