Seen the state of the 'Neopian Pound' neoboard?

Neopets topics not covered by the other forums go here.
Paint

Seen the state of the 'Neopian Pound' neoboard?

Post by Paint »

Honestly, I'm not usually one to complain about much. And I don't want to be mistaken, I think allowing trading is a very good move on TNT's part- a safe way for transferring which keeps everyone happy. Unfortunately it has lead to an absolute outbreak of pets 'UFT'. Does this idea irritate anyone else? There are no pets UFA anymore on neopets. Besides the forum here, and the occasional adoption agency hosted on a petpage, everyone is now expecting you to give up one of your pets for another pet.

I give my pets personalities and I give them a place and a purpose on my accounts. Even for a pet I would love to have (for example: a royalgirl peophin or a darigan krawk), I would never trade my pets for a 'better' pet.

And sure, they're just pixels, but some people work hard for those pixels to be pretty pixels. Isn't this mass of trading pets just taking a lot of the point out of neopets?

Many thanks to the wonderful Tiel for the set.
gomababe

Re: Seen the state of the 'Neopian Pound' neoboard?

Post by gomababe »

Was on a board on the help chat earlier today that was arguing against trading pets because of this exactly. It's a fantastic idea to allow it for things like avatar pets and so on, but it seems like a lot of people are getting scammed at the moment, which might well cause TNT to retract that statement completely in the next week or so {I mean, how fast did they retract the whole idea the last time, before there was a safe transfer feature?}

Hopefully this will all die down in the enxt few days and if it doesn't.... well I'm fully expecting it to be against the rules again by next month at the latest.
varii

Post by varii »

Yeah, and I'm not sure if this is happening to anyone else, but now users are randomly neomailing me asking if I'd like to trade pets with them. It is very annoying. I also think it is lame that people who create limited edition pets when they are released are trying to trade up for painted pets. It's almost like restocking then reselling for profit. Then allowing users to say a baby poogle > darigan grundo and just generally putting comparable worth on pets was such a bad idea. And for thinking that the transfer feature offered a 'safe' way to trade was a crack idea too. The person who sends first is still taking a huge risk that the other person will just accept and then not send their pet. I think trading will be disallowed before next weekend. Bad, bad idea.
rei @ neopets
Erstin
Human Avatar: 340918

Post by Erstin »

Yes, I agree with you guys.
It's a safe mode to reorganize our accounts and to borrow pets, but it turned into a neopet maket, they think all pets are up for trades! I saw people buying draiks/ krawks/ PBs just to get one pet to trade for another. Isn't it better to work for your own then?
The lab map pieces and PBs got more expensive, and some people says it's because of this trading thing, and I agree too.
And i've got people asking for my pets too, and I have no idea how they find me. I mean, I don't post much and my pets aren't that expensive but I still get offers to trade pets. That's crazy.
oogabooga

Post by oogabooga »

Erstin wrote:And i've got people asking for my pets too, and I have no idea how they find me.
If you have any pets with real-word names, or names of characters from something, or stuff like that, they may be looking them up out of curiosity.
Officer 1BDI
Human Avatar: 150891

Post by Officer 1BDI »

I haven't had anyone neomail me asking for a pet trade (I thought Elzar at least would have been popular in that regard), so I'm really surprised to hear that you guys are getting so many requests... and at the same time I'm not, given the general state of the site. :(

Do any of you, by chance, have "Not UFA/UFT" or something similar along those lines in the pet's description? It might not deter everyone who'd neomail you, but I wonder if it would cut down on the requests?
Lark

Post by Lark »

varii wrote:Yeah, and I'm not sure if this is happening to anyone else, but now users are randomly neomailing me asking if I'd like to trade pets with them. It is very annoying.
I keep getting trade offers on my unconverted plushie ixi. She doesn't have a very common name so I don't know how they are finding her. As if that weren't annoying enough, I keep getting requests to borrow the grey jubjub on my account which is not even my pet. (a kind person from here loaned her to me for the avatar)
varii

Post by varii »

Officer 1BDI wrote:Do any of you, by chance, have "Not UFA/UFT" or something similar along those lines in the pet's description? It might not deter everyone who'd neomail you, but I wonder if it would cut down on the requests?
That sounds like a decent enough idea, and maybe people looking to trade would be deterred by that, but I have learned in my many years on neo that people simply do not read. My pet Twilight shares her name with a popular series of books (she was created before they were published). For the longest time I had a very simple "I do not read Twilight" on her pet lookup and my user lookup. 95% of my neomails are along the lines of, "OMG, i luv twILiGhT 2!!!" People who are going to be obnoxious will be, it just sucks that TNT is almost sanctioning it in this regard.

Oh well, tomorrow is a new editorial, I wonder if they'll comment on it.
rei @ neopets
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

In response to the the original question, it's the neoboards. This is where I came to escape the neoboards, and the adoptions board is certainly no place I'd ever visit to either give up or adopt a new pet . Being irritated with stupid neomails is something I can understand. I've always had neomails blocked on every account, excluding my main, since the only reason anyone would neomail my sides would be to ask for my pets, and that was years ago. Plus, posting on the neoboards, even with no pets at all, is inviting stupid to follow you around.

Personally, I think Neopets should have taken it further and allowed the sale of pets. As mentioned, you can still end up with the receiver stiffing you and running off with your pet. There should be options to either send a pet with no strings attached, send a pet that can only be adopted if you agree to the owners selling fee, or place a pet in a queue where it cannot be adopted until X pet is also put in the same queue for a trade. Kind of like TNT holding it until the other person gives TNT the agreed upon trade pet.

As for whether or not it changes the value of my pets, or would have, not a single iota. I've never cared for what people on the neoboards or anywhere else thought of my pets. The only reason they have any value is because I gave them value, the same as the pets of my friends. Once they leave my or my friend's hands, they're worthless. If I was still playing, the only way this could all upset me would be if it caused the price of paintbrushes and morphing potions to rise, but that's something we've been after TNT for years to lower and stabilize. I can bet you that if that if a selling system were implemented on Subeta, hardly anyone would even care. Why? Because getting the pets you want, aside from extra pet slots, doesn't cost you an arm and a leg and months upon months of saving for nothing else.
Dead Webby

Post by Dead Webby »

Huggles wrote:Personally, I think Neopets should have taken it further and allowed the sale of pets.
But surely, wouldn't that just make the whole situation worse? It would mean that pets had specific values placed on them - I know people already say things like 'sorry but your island wocky is not worth as much as my UC Draik' but I just think that'd be taking it too far. Pets would become pretty much equal to items, rather than actual pets :\

I think the transfer system is a good idea though 8D
Thanks VanillaCoke for the Set.
EofS

Post by EofS »

If you allow the sale of pets it would make lab maps skyrocket *even more* as they would basically be an endless source of free money. Very, very unlikely to happen for that reason, if no others.

The way I look at it is this. If you got a Darigan pb from a RE would you sell it or would you donate it to the money tree/give it away to someone who would appreciate it? I'm sure 99%+ would sell it. Now imagine you can sell pets and you get a Darigan zap. Why would you throw the pet into the pound or offer to adopt it to a random person when you could get a couple of million neopoints for it.