Changing main accounts?

Neopets topics not covered by the other forums go here.
WisteriaLynx
Human Avatar: 319191

Changing main accounts?

Post by WisteriaLynx »

I searched a few different terms and didn't find anything, so... if I want to go about changing main accounts, what's the safest way to do that?

Not like I've got anything to protect except a username I like (I was broke even on my old main), but still... should I just not go on my old main account for a while, and mark this new one as my new main when/if it lets me (it won't let me edit my profile right now)? Or something else?
thelonetiel
Human Avatar: 15268

Re: Changing main accounts?

Post by thelonetiel »

The suggestions I've heard are basically to stop doing main account activities for a day or two, switch accounts, then wait another day or two, and start up again. Basically to ensure to no overlap, though I'm not sure how important that would actually be.

In that case, I'd recommend waiting till after the Advent Calendar is over.

And take care transferring your items. You might want to switch to an account that you've used as a side account for a little bit, with a few back and forth passing of items, simply because suddenly sending all your items and Neopoints at once to a new, unrelated account (regardless of how much you have) is suspicious to any monitors that might be watching. For that reason, you also might want to update all your offsite records to be able to prove both accounts are yours.

TNT claims they don't read notes on lookups, but I'm sure that's mostly for liability purposes. If you have clear, simple notes ("Changing main account to blank" "New main"), it won't hurt and might provide an explanation for any monitors digging.

I haven't heard of many people having their main account switches going afoul, but those are the precautions I would take myself.